Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Are my stories questionable? 

Up in this mind of mine, I come up some of my own universes that I like to live in in my imagination. Sometimes I like to share these universes and write stories for others. One story I have going on Fanfiction.net contains some questionable content that I need your opinion on.

The story contains mostly disturbing content such as torture scenes (this little dark mind of mine :twisted: ) and gore, but those aren't the things I am worried about.

I am worried about the swearing I have put into my story. The rating says "some" swearing, but I don't know if swearing at all is acceptable. The reason I have swearing in my story is to add some realism to it; hardly any of the characters swear, and when they do, they are usually evil or they are in deep pain and they burst out crying.

So far, I estimated I have used a total of one to two swear words every other chapter. Should I tone down or swear at all? Is this acceptable for a Christian to use swearing in his stories?

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't really see a problem with it, so long as it's done in a way that's not completely over-the-top. Like, if it makes the reader think "Wow, these characters have really foul mouths" as opposed to "Wow, this author has a really foul mouth".
As far as swearing in general though I don't have a real problem with it. And as I've heard it pointed out before, it's hard to take a story seriously if a major character's first response to danger is "Gosh darnit" or something like that (unless the whole tone of the story is somewhat lighthearted, though since you've got torture and gore I hardly expect it is :P )

The amount of swearing can really display the character's personality, too - a character who never swears except under extreme stress might appear more laid back and casual, while one who swears every other word is going to seem a lot more rebellious (and immature, in my opinion).

Keep in mind though that regardless of your personal views on swearing, it turns a lot of the more traditionalist crowd off from whatever you're writing. Not that you should cater to them though, just keep in mind that you'll lose a handful of readers.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Koshka wrote:
Keep in mind though that regardless of your personal views on swearing, it turns a lot of the more traditionalist crowd off from whatever you're writing. Not that you should cater to them though, just keep in mind that you'll lose a handful of readers.

Meh, my writing is my writing. If they don't like it, they don't like it. I just like to share my ideas with others. Readership is not a concern for me.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Ohyoupokedme wrote:
Readership is not a concern for me.

Nor should it be! :3

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 pm

I think swearing is fine to develop a character or an environment, I don't feel that Christians should pretend that sin doesn't exist in the world or reality, regardless of it's form. What I think can be avoided is the glorification of sin. Using swearing as an example, don't write your characters swearing in a way that would make a typical reader think 'Oh that's cool or appealing, I should swear if I want to be cool or attractive'. I think that would be unChristian-like.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

If you can write characters who steal, murder, etc., I see no reason why you can't write characters with foul mouths. Writing morally flawless characters leads to boring writing.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Thinking gore and torture is fine but being worried about swearing really seems, to me, like a "straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel" kind of scenario...

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm
Profile WWW

Tica wrote:
Thinking gore and torture is fine but being worried about swearing really seems, to me, like a "straining out a gnat but swallowing a camel" kind of scenario...

Well, I think swearing or sex is more influencing of action to young minds than gore and torture. If someone reads my torture scenes, they aren't going to think, "Wow, that's cool! I should do that!"

The same can't be said for swearing or sex, however. Depending on it's use, swearing can influence how one uses them, same with sex. If sexual immorality is glorified in my story, it will influence the mind of younger readers or even older readers.

It's not necessarily about "which is worse" it's more about "which one is more influential that I don't want influenced".

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Some say it's possible to separate the artist's mind form his work, like when he does commissions. Others say that art reflects the current and changing mentality of the artist. If an artist only does smut or gore without branching out and trying different things, that possibly says something about the artist.

I'm all for creating whatever art you please. My own stories involve things that would make some readers blush; to try and remind myself of my faith, I try and incorporate elements or praises of it into my works, as well, even if they are a bit fantastical (like arguments and epic fights between Christians and demons).

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Ohyoupokedme wrote:

Well, I think swearing or sex is more influencing of action to young minds than gore and torture. If someone reads my torture scenes, they aren't going to think, "Wow, that's cool! I should do that!"

The same can't be said for swearing or sex, however. Depending on it's use, swearing can influence how one uses them, same with sex. If sexual immorality is glorified in my story, it will influence the mind of younger readers or even older readers.

It's not necessarily about "which is worse" it's more about "which one is more influential that I don't want influenced".

See, whether or not you glorify swearing or sex when you write about it depends on your skill as a writer, not on the fact you've included it or not. Same with violence. Violence *can* be glorified in such a way that makes people feel like violence is a good answer to certain problems. Violence can also be written in such a way that it makes your heart sink whenever it happens. Same with anything else that you view as sinful. If you write it to be glamorous, it will be glamorous; if you write it to be horrifying, it will be horrifying. (If, that is, you can write well, which not everyone can...)

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]