Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
How the devil does things 

Recently I was reading a book about the life of Nehemiah, and one of the things it talked about was a simple series of methods Satan uses to hinder God's work. These steps also reminded me of several things, so I made a decent sized essay about the topic. At the end of the essay I included a carefully worded warning. This warning was the entire reason I'd written the essay to begin with: in short, I noticed that the methods used by Satan to hinder God's work are sometimes used by Christians -- which results in Satan winning the day as it subverts the "good work" the Christians are trying to do.

You can find the essay here. There's a list near the end if you'd rather not read the entire thing.

Anyway, I do believe I've stepped on some sensitive tootsies, as I submitted the essay to several religious DA groups, and only one of them accepted it. The others haven't said yes or no yet; it's still in their inbox. However, they have all posted other new submissions, which means they've deliberately not voted to allow or disallow what I had to say. I'll take that as a victory. :twisted:

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 pm
Profile WWW

I found that well written and informative, especially for a voluntary blog/essay motivated by your own interest. I do easily find that these methods could be used to hinder the spread of God's kingdom on earth but I do feel like we need to be careful with one or two of them. Compromise can be used to bring God's justice and the fear of falsified doctrine should not scare us away from finding truth in that doctrine, even if that truth is different than we originally thought (so to clarify: I mean the fear of 'getting it wrong' should not scare us away from finding the truth).

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

That's a great warning! I think we all could use to learn from that story. Great write-up!

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 am
Profile WWW

One of the groups that was apparently abstaining from making a decision finally allowed it. I figured they were going to let it expire rather than say yes or no. After all, they let some 50 odd deviations through in the meantime. The last group that hasn't accepted it isn't known for being prompt, so there's no real surprise there.

And by the way, one of the reasons I posted a link here is because I can spot some issues that Christians frequently preach about using those methods and I wondered if y'all can spot them just as easily.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 am
Profile WWW

Um... to be honest, that question seems a bit out of place, Alex...

But hey, good thing you found that list UGuardian. I mean, one key element to winning a battle is "to know thine enemy".

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]