Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Major vs. Minor 
Site Administrator

This artist takes songs written in minor keys and reworks them into major keys and vice-versa. It's sometimes awesome, sometimes disconcerting, and always amusing. :D

Here's Hotel California.

And here's the Bandcamp page.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I really liked his minor-key+shuffle version of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da! He made it into a cabaret act. :p

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 am
Profile WWW

Somehow I had no idea until I saw this that Radiohead's Creep and Lady Gaga's Bad Romance were in major keys until I saw this...I guess 'cause they're both kinda darker sounding. You'd think I'd have been able to tell, what with being in music school for almost 3 years now and all. xD

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Koshka wrote:
Somehow I had no idea until I saw this that Radiohead's Creep and Lady Gaga's Bad Romance were in major keys until I saw this...I guess 'cause they're both kinda darker sounding. You'd think I'd have been able to tell, what with being in music school for almost 3 years now and all. xD

it would seem that music schools have a tendency to dichotomize complicated issues for the sake of convenience. Especially in freshman courses. Naturally, what is perceived as the mood of a song is affected by much more than simply the notes being played but within that context, the mood is largely a function of how chords interact within a progression. due to technicalities of common practice music theory, pieces in major keys lend themselves more readily to consonant, "happy" progressions whereas minor keys tend to be bleak and apprehensive. ( I'm mobile so I don't really want to talk about modes and non diatonic scales right now). Straight-forward progressions (I-IV-V, for instance) tend to acquire the emotive quality of their tonic chords. Progressions that blur the lines often seem to have a lot of non-chord tones, secondary functions, and extended chords.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Oh it's not music school's fault, it's my fault for not paying as much attention as I should (hey, I'm still making good grades though) :P

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:30 pm
Site Administrator

The Gregory Brothers did something like this recently!

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

"Bad Romance" may be in a major key, but many of the more famous moments are in moments that taken along definitely sound minor. Kind of like, if you listen to Tchaikovsky's cello concerto no. 1 in Eb major, it sounds minor almost 100% of the time past the first minute, but it's still said to be in Eb Major.

Also, sort of off-topic: I prefer minor keys myself, mostly because I like depressing music and they have much more chord variety than major keys.

Major: I ii iii IV V vi vii° i --> 3 major chords, 3 minors, 1 dim;
Circle of Fifths progression: I IV vii° iii vi ii/IV V I --> Sounds good

Minor: i ii° III iv/IV v/V, VI, VII/vii° i/I --> typically 4 major chords, 2 minor chords, and 2 dim (most commonly the chosen chords are i ii° III iv V VI VII i)
Circle of Fifths progression: i iv VII/vii° III VI ii°/iv v/V i/I --> Sounds awesome and MUCH more potential for variety (picardy thirds, VII-III sounds like major V-I, etc.).

In minor keys, v i sounds lame but V i sounds AMAZING. Compare the typical 1 4 5 1 progression and you get I ii/IV V I in major vs i ii°/iv V i in minor. To my ears the typical I IV V I is boring (all major chords), whereas i ii°6 V i sounds so good.

(What's really interesting is that minor keys have more major chords in their usual progressions than major keys, while still being centered around a minor tonic, and vice-versa.)

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:36 pm
Profile YIM

Wow. These are awesome! So different! I like it!

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]