Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Song Interpretation 

Thought this would be fun :P

I guess this is going to be a lot like the "Rate the song above you" game.

This time, it's more "Your Interpretation of the song above you". There are a lot of songs out there that mean different things to different people, and I'm curious.

We'll see how this goes. You can either interpret the lyrics, the music video (if there is one) or both. The response/interpretation can be as long or as short as you want.

It would be preferable if you choose songs with possibly multiple meanings, imagery, and metaphors.

I'll start off with, what do you know, Twenty One Pilots. This song in particular has so many meanings to it for different people it's kinda scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92XVwY54h5k - Twenty One Pilots ~ Car Radio

EDIT: Feel free to interpret multiple songs. Just say which ones you're doing.

Last edited by Ohyoupokedme on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 am

Last edited by KingFriday on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:19 pm

KingFriday wrote:
My rating is a bit bias... 6/10

Guy goes nuts and shaves his head after someone steals his car radio. what else is there to tell. Lol

Here is a interesting live performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPk4--AGhQ

No lyrics, but there is a meaning behind what Keith Emerson does to his Hammond organ. He goes nuts at about 4:00. You may have to do a bit of research. I can elaborate the history behind if if you want. If anything I want to know your reactions to what he does.

Not... exactly what I was looking for. Songs like this tend to go deeper than a literal interpretation (yours is fine and not necessarily wrong). What does the car radio represent? The car? The way he behaves? I posted my earlier interpretation in the comments of the video:

"Wow... It's freaking scary how much I relate to this song.

To me, this song is about the negative thoughts that run through our minds daily. For almost everyone, music is sort of God's release valve for those negative emotions. It flushes them out of our system. It helps us forget all those horrible things in the world...
When his car radio was stolen, there wasn't anything to flush out those negative emotions, nothing to help him forget. "There is no distraction to mask what is real" is a perfect example from the song. There was nothing to hide the negativity. The next parts, "I ponder of something terrifying" and so on is talking about his constant thoughts for questions seemingly unanswerable, negative, and mysterious, causing a deep inner battle of sadness and depression.

I am all to familiar with that feeling. Thank God Almighty that music exists."

As for the song YOU posted, I have a hard time understanding his actions. I suppose most artists, when they REALLY get into their music, tend to do some crazy stuff or get into it so much. In Car Radio, the guy was shaking and stuff, because he get's so into his music he literally shakes. You should see him live.

I don't know much else to say about it. I tend to interoperate lyrics more, at least, I'm better at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTpw5XMnJig - The White Stripes ~ Seven Nation Army

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]