Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Music 
Site Administrator

YOU GUYS. "Our God" and "Poker Face" have the same chords. I need to make this mashup!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm
Profile WWW

Ian the Gecko wrote:
YOU GUYS. "Our God" and "Poker Face" have the same chords. I need to make this mashup!

That is hilarious! :D
And lately, I have really been into isochronic beats, binauraul beats, and psychill/chillstep/ambient music... I have always loves house music and electronic stuff, so this seems like a natural progression for me. <--- did you see what i did there? ;D
Really though, I really like June Reactor and a lot of other artists, especially now that my youtube channel is growing. Feel free to check it out.
www.youtube.com/blessedandunworthy :P
Mostly lately it's Crystal Castles or something electronic. I do really like Christian contemporary though. Bands like the David Crowder Band really get me going. :)

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Yaknow, I think dubstep songs can be kinda cool, but I have no idea how people can listen to dubstep albums. It just starts to bleed together and lose its impact when you listen to the same style for the better part of an hour. Maybe I just need to find better albums?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

albums like that are good for background music, when you're not purely listening to the music but just have it on while you do something else.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 am
Profile WWW

My music history class has been especially wonderful in introducing me to not-so-old orchestral pieces like Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (I assure you, if you've had an internet connection for longer than 1 hour you've at least heard the first movement of that piece, "O Fortuna") and Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. <3

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am

Sleet wrote:
I have no idea how people can listen to dubstep albums.

are we talking about brostep or proper dub music?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:12 am
Site Administrator

Technically brostep I suppose.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Technically brostep I suppose.

Maybe you should check out Orbits. I paid actual money for that album and don't even regret it. I'm pretty sure it's Spotifiable.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm
Site Administrator

I will totally take you up on that suggestion.

EDIT: It was pretty good, but is that dubstep? A lot of it felt like what I believed trap to sound like. I'll admit my understanding of the genres is imperfect.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:37 pm
Profile WWW

it's probably closer to being trap than legitimate dubstep. It kinda falls somewhere between brostep and UK grime. I typically don't concern myself with technical classifications of music but I'm a real hard-ass about what counts as 'dub' music.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:44 pm
Site Administrator

Can someone distinguish dubstep and brostep for me?

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I may not be an expert on this, but from my understanding, dubstep focused heavily on undulating bass and subbass. Brostep took some of the harsher dubstep bass, ran with it, and extended it into the middle register as well. Brostep can be recognized by the virtually universal presence of a harsh, mechanical "drop."

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Profile WWW

dub music is typically very atmospheric, dark, mellow, and generally pretty relaxing and often kind of morose. The genre proper "dub" largely consisted of remixed reggae tracks in the Jamaican club scene. It's much more similar to hip-hop than EDM. Original dubstep grew out of the UK garage scene but was still inextricable from the 'dub' ethos, as it were. But through it's increasing popularity in mainstream clubs, it began to lose its soul. Brostep borrows superficialities from proper dubstep (for instance: deep, undulating basslines; ragga vocals) but it's fundamentally just watered down, white-boy EDM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH0cIXhQRXU

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:06 pm
Site Administrator

Call it a musical sin if you like but I actually kinda like the aesthetics of brostep... but the execution is usually generic and soulless. It's like eating a cake that's actually a bowl of icing.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Call it a musical sin if you like ...

I never was one to really believe in 'musical sins'. There are a couple of genres of music I don't really like but I don't think there's such thing as real music that is just objectively bad or somehow 'wrong' to listen to. Heck, obviously there are people out there that (somehow) genuinely enjoy Nickelback's music - and I'll say what 99% of people on the internet won't - there's nothing wrong with liking Nickelback, or Justin Bieber, or whoever the popular-to-hate musician of the month is. :P
EDIT: I mean, I'm not saying anybody should try to force themselves to like music they don't like just to seem more artistic and respectful, either. And there is some music out there that disobeys convention, such as having notes that don't fit in with the rest of the chord or having off-beat rhythms and such, but music has never had any rules, only conventions. If you don't believe me, just ask an experienced sitar player who's lived his whole life in India to play a C major scale and take a picture of the confused look on his face, then listen to some Indian scales that sound dramatically different from our Western conventional scales.

I'm a music major and there are some artists I have starred songs from on Spotify that might make some of my more elitist classmates cringe; let's see...there's Skrillex, Flo Rida, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Relient K, Skillet, Steve Aoki, The Strokes, Underoath, PSY...most of those artists/groups seem to have a pretty significant following of elitist haters who will try to decry anybody who even remotely enjoys just one of their songs as musically uneducated and ignorant.

To be honest though, I get a headache whenever I try to listen to any modern country music or any of that nu-metal/rapcore stuff (whatever it's called - bands like P.O.D., Pillar, Korn, etc). But I won't go saying it's not music or that people who listen to it are less musically inclined/knowledgeable than I am.
[/rant]

Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 pm

imo, the one legitimate musical sin is to not be able to appreciate music in its own context but still judge it. I'm guilty of that all the time. I was once the most pretentious son of a biscuit in the kingdom, but I got better. my perspective changed when I started making music which was being described as things like "terrible," "completely unlistenable," "not even music," "just noises," etc. It takes effort (and perhaps, in some cases, empathy) to "get" music you're unaccustomed to. most people don't seem to want to put in that sort of work.

I like screamo.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:51 pm
Site Administrator

I'll go ahead and be Mr. Genre Pedant for a moment and ask if you're referring to the subgenre of emo or incorrectly labeling any and all music with screamed lyrics? :P

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 pm
Profile WWW

I'm mostly into its post-hardcore variants; it is actual screamo I'm talking about.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm
Site Administrator

Okay, good. I'm a lot snobbier and more informed about metal than I am EDM. "Screamo" being misused is one of my pet peeves. *giggles*

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile WWW

I think I'm too right-brained to be able to keep up with genres :p

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next