Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Video Game Music! 
Site Administrator

I don't even play Professor Layton games. Why do I love the soundtrack so much?! The sooner we rescue the accordion from being considered an awful instrument, the better.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is also a game with a wonderful soundtrack. Everything is very piano-focused, which is great. Here is an example of a disgustingly happy song from it that I just adore. There's so much good stuff in there, though, including some darker and more aggressive stuff.

I also feel like Phantasy Star Online has some seriously underappreciated music. I love the ominous orchestral/electronic hybrid it has going on. Here are some highlights.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

If anybody picked up The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii, it came with a CD that has orchestral versions of some classic Zelda music...it's like cocaine for your ears, only without the addiction and dying and stuff. This song is just flat out EPIC.
Though some of the Zelda music doesn't even have to be good quality to be some of the best VG tunes out there. Like this one from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

And Timesplitters 2 has a really super awesome soundtrack. The Wild West level probably has the best music, but there's so much variety in the soundtrack that just one track really doesn't do it justice.

Probably one of my favorite soundtracks ever is the one from Perfect Dark, despite the horrific quality (it is an N64 game, after all :P). This song is like seriously the coolest song ever to have graced the N64.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Koshka wrote:

Probably one of my favorite soundtracks ever is the one from Perfect Dark, despite the horrific quality (it is an N64 game, after all :P). This song is like seriously the coolest song ever to have graced the N64.

I heard this and literally had flashbacks and an emotional shift. I can hear the sound of the silenced falcon in my head clearly, even though I haven't played it in years. Thank you.

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm

TomIsAwesome wrote:
Koshka wrote:

I heard this and literally had flashbacks and an emotional shift. I can hear the sound of the silenced falcon in my head clearly, even though I haven't played it in years. Thank you.

Hehe, you're welcome...I still remember the first time I played that game. My half-brother let me play it when I was 8 or 9, and when my mom found out she got pretty mad at him because it was an M-rated game, but eventually after watching me play it with him and realizing that I wasn't being traumatized by it nor was I becoming obsessed with carnage, she let me keep playing xP

Also, since sleet mentioned disgustingly happy tunes from Kirby, here's an equally disgustingly happy and quite infectious little melody from Maple Story. And Maple Story even has quite a dark side to it.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Sleet wrote:
Why do I love the soundtrack so much?!

Maybe because the soundtrack is like... Awesome! Jazzy (But still not jazzy), has that awesome rhythm and the instruments just flow together as they were one.
Thanks for making me listen to good stuff :P

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:15 pm
Site Administrator

Oh man, Skyward Sword and Timesplitters 2 had great soundtracks. Well played, Koshka.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 pm
Profile WWW

Journey has a really beautiful, peaceful soundtrack; I fall asleep to it several times each week.
Here's the playlist on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz

Bastion has an adventurous soundtrack. Fun to wake to.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC26D4FE16FA60595

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Earthbound is famous for a lot of reasons, but its soundtrack is also pretty exceptional.

Mother 3 also required an interesting soundtrack because it was part of the game that players could earn combos by syncing up their attacks to "heartbeats" hidden within each battle theme. Some of the themes were pretty straightforward when tapping along, others were slightly more difficult, others were annoying, and a few were impossible.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:35 pm
Lady Sloth

Everything from the Myst series, especially from Myst III onward. I have it all on CDs.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Wait, how have I not mentioned Jet Set Radio Future's soundtrack yet?
I've seriously listened to this album since high school consistently and I'm still not tired of it.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:03 am

I am one of probably about three people who have ever played this game but Super Magnetic Neo had a killer soundtrack.

Also: obligatory Bomberman Hero post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrePwltVLKE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irp6-QJz8V4

HoboFawkes wrote:
Wait, how have I not mentioned Jet Set Radio Future's soundtrack yet?
I've seriously listened to this album since high school consistently and I'm still not tired of it.

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours? I'm trying to get to sleep.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am
Lady Sloth

Grim Fandango soundtrack = besteverhandsdown. It went outta print, too, so is free to download at that site!

Big band jazz is <3

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:07 am
Profile WWW

Does anyone know Desert Rocks from Turrican II? That's a phenomenal track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdtCSybIErE
It's so upbeat and bouncy, and then it turns dark. It also reminds me a little of that song Celebrate.

Also, Chrono Trigger's "Millennial Fair" is an amazing track. The "Snowfield" theme from Contra is also great--brings back fond memories.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:32 pm

ætherwave wrote:

Wow that brings me back. As a kid I don't think i realized how awesome this sound track is.

Salem wrote:
Bastion has an adventurous soundtrack. Fun to wake to.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC26D4FE16FA60595

This OST is my study music album :D

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 am
Profile WWW

TabbyTim wrote:
ætherwave wrote:

Wow that brings me back. As a kid I don't think i realized how awesome this sound track is.

That soundtrack is really what introduced me to breakbeat music and I've been making jungle beats ever since.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm
Site Administrator

"Einhänder". Now that game had some amazing breakbeats. Well, just an awesome electronic score overall. Kenichiro Fukui went on to compose songs in Advent Children, produce the theme song for Final Fantasy XII, and play as the keyboardist in The Black Mages.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm
Profile WWW

I barely remember that game but I am a fiend for breakbeats so I'll have to go find it eventually.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Easily, one of my favorite tracks is from The Walking Dead (Telltale games). It's called "Alive Inside". It's a simple one minute track loop (that plays when you are around Clementine) but it's so nostalgic and fantastic that I play it on my phone at night to help me fall asleep.

Alive Inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFo9whvbx4Q

Also another thing that plays in the soundtrack is called "It's Over!" which plays when you defeat one of the antagonists in the first season (wont spoil).

It's Over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDGtnAnY7w

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Ohyoupokedme wrote:
asily, one of my favorite tracks is from The Walking Dead (Telltale games). I

There's an artist on youtube that composes vocal 'fan-art' type of songs for really good games; the style of each song is build around the game. His bastion one is terrific, but I also really like his Walking Dead (ep 1) song. Caution: Mild or subtle Spoilers to this game (same goes with most of his songs) . You should check it out :D

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 am
Profile WWW

fackel wrote:
Earthbound is famous for a lot of reasons, but its soundtrack is also pretty exceptional.

Mother 3 also required an interesting soundtrack because it was part of the game that players could earn combos by syncing up their attacks to "heartbeats" hidden within each battle theme. Some of the themes were pretty straightforward when tapping along, others were slightly more difficult, others were annoying, and a few were impossible.
I concur 20x

Also, I can't even beat La-Mulana due to it's insane difficulty, but at least the soundtrack's pretty awesome.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next