Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
After school child care 

There's some fumbling at the door. The sound of a bag dropping together with some muffled annoyed sounds.

"Cha-click..."

"Good, we're here, just in time... You go put away your backpack and play a bit while I prepare everything, okay?", the black and white border collie pushes open the door with a little lynx on his arm. "Oh wait... first let me take off your shoes."

Tayi looks inside the dark room slightly unsure, but he holds out his feet so that ESD can quickly undo the velcro on his sandals and toss them into one of the storage holes in the wall next to him. He then lowers the bobkitten onto the floor and points to the sandals, "Your backpack goes in there too... let's put it there?" Nodding, Tayi puts his things away and steps further into the room, but then hesitates and points to the ceiling, "Dawk. Light on?"

"Oh yes, of course," the collie says and he flicks a switch, after which lights start flickering on everywhere in the room. "Yay! Lights!", the little lynx exclaims as he throws his paws into the air and runs off to dive into the stack of pillows...

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Right behind the lynx, a graceful phoenix pushes open the door. She is followed closely by a small beaked, winged fox who looks up at her mother expectantly.

"Be good! I'll come pick you up later." says the phoenix in a cheerful voice. She crouches down and nuzzles her daughter's beak. "I love you!"

The birdfox grins as the phoenix walks out the door. She loves her mom, but appreciates the time to have fun by herself. The first thing that catches Bri's eye is the stack of pillows, which appears to be moving. She politely places her shoes by the door before she trots over to the pillows, flaps her wings a couple times to gain altitude, and flops right on top the pillow pile. Best day ever!

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Hyper walked up tothe entrance of the room and looked inside. His dad walked up beside him and motioned for him to go inside. Hyper walked inside and looked at his dad. "Be good. I'll come pick you up later." Hyper's dad said, hugging his son. "And try not to get into trouble." Hyper nodded and ran off to the pillow stack, pouring sand on the floor with every step. He saw someone he hadn't seen before laying on the top. "Hello." Hyper greeted, smiling and waving at the ne face.

Last edited by hypernovatic on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Tica putters up to her workplace on an electric bicycle. She's running late, but then again she almost always is. ESD has already opened the Center, and parents are filtering in and out with their kids.

Tica stows her bike in the back room, then joins ESD in the main playroom. Looks like Tayi, Bri, and Hyper have already arrived. "Hello, children," Tica chimes in a sing-song voice, heading straight for the kitchen area to prepare the children's breakfast. "Hello, ESD," she adds, smiling at her coworker and friend.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile WWW

"Oof," another kid must have come in, because the pile of pillows suddenly got a lot heavier. Trying to dig himself out, Tayi only manages to poke out one foot and an eartuft, so he waves frantically with his free paw and with a tiny muffled voice says, "Hiya... Who'sdis?"

ESD is already busy putting plates and cups on the tables and making sure everyone will have a chair. "Hey Bri! Watch out, Tayi's under there, we don't want him flat today, otherwise he'll only be able to eat pancakes!" he says with a big smile while ruffling the headfur of the other kitty that just came in, "do you already know what you want to do today, Hyper?"

"Good morning, Tica! How are you today?"

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Hyper giggled when he saw Tayi's foot and ear tuft appear from the pillows. "Iss Hyper." he said, poking the bobkitten's foot. He then sat down and started pouring sand out of his hoodie pocket and onto the floor.Hyper smiled and started making a sand ball when he suddenly felt a paw on his head. He looked up and saw ESD. He smiled and nodded. "I'm gonna make a sand castle." Hyper said excitedly.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:17 pm
Profile WWW

(sorry for longer post. It's how I roll)

"And I'll pick you up at five, then we're all gonna go out to eat, okay?"

"Uh huh."

"Tom are you listening to me?"

"Uh huh."

Of course he wasn't. The fledgling raven was enraptured in a paroxysm of concentration, his attention firmly lodged in the handheld gaming device held reverently between is wings. Still, he managed to follow his mother diligently, never straying more than a meter from her legs as he followed her up to the door of the daycare. It was kind of surprising, really, how adroit the young bird was with his "wingers" - what he liked to call his wing fingers - as his little fingerlets tiptaped in near sync with the occasional chiming from the game he was playing. The mother, a house mouse with a soft brown coat, merely rolled her eyes before reaching down and closing the device's lid, invoking a brief and stern protest that was quickly silenced upon making eye contact. With a yank, she ripped the toy from her child's hands, dropping it neatly in the satchel at her side.

"Mooooooooommmm!"

"You can have it back tonight if Ms. Tica says you were a good boy. Now, I'll see you later!"

Apparently having got over the loss of his gaming device, Tom gave his mom as big a hug as he could, wrapping her leg in feathers before taking off through the door. He started out with his head tucked low, wings close and in a hunch, completely out of instinct, but stopped himself, straightening his back and resuming a more "normal" gait; he didn't really like it when the other kids made fun of the way he ran. Working his way to the wall of the playroom, he carefully slipped his backpack into the provided cubby, taking a moment to self-consciously straighten his shirt.

"Hi Miss Tiki!"

Tom waved excitedly at the sloth, indifferent to whether she returned his attention or even saw. With a broad smile on his face and a glint in the eye, Tom made a beeline for his favorite corner of the room, specifically where they kept all the LEGOs. Plopping himself down by the various boxes of toys, he spread his legs wide and got to work; he figured he had about fifteen, twenty minutes before breakfast, and there was much to be done.

With the same single-minded diligence that had made him such a puissant video gamer, Tom descended into the task of building...something. To be honest, the end objective was never really clear, and what only ever existed at any point in time was an immediate goal that was dependent entirely on the difficulty and relative success of the current project. Still, rather quickly something begin to take shape, the rapid and purposeful movements of his wings selecting and carefully allocating each piece into his gradually accreting masterpiece, his effort indicative in the tiny pink tongue sticking out of his beak. Finally, the project was near completion, revealing a...house? Moonbase? It was clearly a structure of some sort. A careful eye could note how the theme, and attention to detail, of the structure changed with time. Parts were of uniform color and similar block size, but as the structure branched out the coloration became more eclectic, and the brick size used transformed from uniform to pragmatic, giving it a dilapidated, but surprisingly well loved, appearance. Had he been a graduate student of art, he could have submitted the production as a deconstruction of the pervasive puerility within the historical frameworks of modern then postmodern academia. Probably would have won an award for it. Alas, it was merely the beloved creation of a child, and seeing as he could neither spell nor pronounce "deconstruction" it was really a moot point.

His task satisfyingly concluded, at least for the time being, Tom looked to populate the structure with individuals, and began sweeping through the collected blocks for characters. He found plenty, but none that were like him. There were lots of foxes, wolves, and cats in the pile, even a couple tiny dragon models, but no black birds to represent Tom. He was pretty sure there was one, he'd seen it before; one of the included playsets had a raven as a villain, replete with skull headed staff and evil red eyes. It was a character he'd recently become very familiar with; the other kids he played with at school and in the neighborhood always made him play Corax the Evil whenever they all played together outside. He didn't like Corax at all. Corax stole, and cheated, and was mean to others. He wasn't very smart, and the heroes - and the kids who played them - always called him "birdbrain." Tom never really got that. His mommy had always told him that "ravens are the cleverest of birds, and you're clever for a raven!" Besides, it was always so easy to play tricks on the other kids, and if they were so clever they wouldn't get caught so easy!

Failing in his search, Tom satisfied himself with an otter model instead, placing it at the apex of the structure for...reasons. It seemed like the best place to put it. This appeared to satisfy his desire to play with legos, at least for the time being, and he picked himself up, careful not to disturb his creation, and went in search of companionship. At the moment, all the other furs were playing in the pillows, so that's where he headed.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Hyper saw Tom walk up and he instinctively guarded his unfinished sand castle from him. "Be careful!" he warned, staring at the raven.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:12 pm
Profile WWW

The birdfox tilted her head at the cat's friendly greeting, simultaneously happy that someone had taken the time to say hello and intrigued as to why they had a reason to do so. Regardless, she waved a wing and smiled as best as a beaked creature could as the pillow mountain beneath her started shifting. She looked down to see a hint of fur peeking out from beneath the pillow. Oh no! She'd squished someone! She rolled off the pillows in a bundle of wings and lifted one of them to see the disrupted face of a little bobcat.

"Oops, didn't see ya in there!" she apologized and offered a claw to help the small one out from under the pillows. "Wanna make a pillow fort with all these?" The suggestion was on a whim, possibly fueled by Hyper's sand castle creation and the desire to make a functional model. Just the thought of making a functional castle made Bri giddy as she started constructing it in her imagination. A couple sparks flew off her rust-colored fur as she bounced off to get some chairs and blankets, completely disregarding Tayi's potential "yes" or "no". This birdfox had a plan.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

When Hyper heard that Bri wanted to make a pillow fort, he had the biggest grin onn his face. He ran after Bri and poked her on the shoulder. "Can I help?" Hyper asked, bouncing up and down completely forgetting about his sand castle.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:40 pm
Profile WWW

Thankfully taking the claw offered to him, Tayi climbs out from under the pillows and stares a bit blankly at what Bri is proposing. When she and Hyper start building, though, he looks doubtful and takes one of his favorite pillows from the stack and pulls it to another corner.

After commending Tom on the effort he put into his building project, ESD cleans up the abandoned sandcastle and adds the sand to the sand pit outside.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:51 am

Get off me!___________________________HEY! STOP! MOM
Cait, don't fall behind! Tom, get that out of your mouth! Mr. Bigglesworth, don't hit!
___________________ ooooo mom's mad at you

The large cat mob moved down the street; haphazardly herded by the matrons guidance/discipline/merciless-front-paw. Tabs padded along the rear of the group, trying to avoid the attention of his older siblings as he daydreamed.

He was a very mate-chore cat in the family, so old that he could walk on the dangerous streets and not be held by mom or one of his eldest siblings. He was a big Al-Lee cat, jumping and pouncing through the grass. Everybody thought he was super cool. He'd never seen that bug before. Why isn't it running away when he smacks it. Ah, it's on his nose! Jump somewhere, Tabs!

Tabs! *The paw swatted him with the accuracy of a trained Doberman sniper* Daycare! Now! You're already late! And if I hear that you didn't play nice again so help me dog you are sleeping in the litterbox do I make myself clear young kit I'll pick you up at 3 love you Mr. Bigglesworth, DONT HIT

"sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry" Tabs ran inside as fast as he could, sliding in the door and throwing his napsack into his cubby. Panting, he looked around panicked from the onslaught of killer insects and mothers. Seeing all the other furs already at play, Tabs tries to catch his breath and pads across the room. "Hi MistarESD" "Hi Mrs.Ticuh"
Tabs keeps trotting along, seeing an animal playing with what looks like kittylitter; he thought he should let him finish. There was a lot of noise coming from the nap corner, so he headed there.

[Sorry for the coincidental attention deficit but what does ESD stand for?]

Last edited by TabbyTim on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

"I'm doing well," Tica responds to ESD with a smile, pulling out cans of fruit from the top shelf. All cold, uncooked food is prepared in their little kitchen area, which is cordoned off with a gate from the curious children. The hot food will come from the full-size kitchen next door, with its ovens and burners and industrial-sized equipment serving many different daycares and preschools. Today's breakfast will be mixed fruit and toast and orange juice for the herbivores, fruit and toast and scrambled eggs and milk for the omnivores, and scrambled eggs and ham and water for the carnivores. When the kitchen is finished they will knock on the door and bring the giant bowls filled with steaming food loosely covered in plastic wrap, which Tica and ESD will serve family-style at the already set table. First, however, the children must be rounded up into their seats.

The little Raven boy appeared, and the children continued building with toys and pillows. Tica looks over just in time to see Hyper covered in sand and building a sandcastle on the floor. "Oh no, Hyper!" But by the time she reaches the mess, ESD has already cleaned it up and deposited the sand outside. "Every day," Tica says, shaking her head. She can tell that his hoodie pocket is still filled with the sand. "Hyper, dear..." she calls out, approaching their pillow fort slowly. "Let me have the hoodie please," she says. They do this song and dance every morning. Once she obtains the hoodie, she will shake the sand out, outside, and throw it into the washing machine at the end of the classroom for a swift cycle. Then she will offer the children colored sand to play with at the sensory table, later in the day, as consolation. But first she needed Hyper to hand the hoodie over...

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:19 am
Profile WWW

Hyper's ears perked up when he heard his name called and turned around to see Miss Tica walking over to him. He wrapped his paws around his hoodie pocket defensively, causing some sand to pour out, and backed away from Miss Tica. "B-but iss my sand..." Hyper said sadly, not wanting to give up his hoodie. He then looked over to where his sand castle was and saw that it wasn't there. "Oh no! My sand castle!" he exclaimed, saddened by the disappearance of his creation.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

"Let's put the sand on the sensory table for later, ok Hyper?" The sensory table was over near the door outside to the playground, and was kept stocked with things like sand, play doh, water, bubbles, shredded paper, and other messy things kids loved to stick their paws into. The rules were you had to wear a smock to play there, and that area was easily hosed down and cleaned at the end of the day, as opposed to the rest of the carpeted areas.

Tica reached out one oddly-shaped hand, which had two dull claws and no thumbs. "When your hoodie comes out of the dryer it will be nice and warm...!"

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 am
Profile WWW

Hyper looked around the room to see if he could find an escape, but when he couldn't he sighed. "O-okay..." he said, relunctantly handing Tica his hoodie. He then hugged the sloth and worked on the pillow fort again.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Tica returned Hyper's hug with a gentle warmth, then emptied the sand into the sensory table as promised, and threw the hoodie in the wash. it would be out of the dryer and snuggly warm around naptime.

It would be free play until breakfast, then after breakfast and tooth-brushing it would be story and alphabet time. She smiled as the bobkitten, raven chick, gryphon kit, and other two kittens played and tumbled in the pillows. She enjoyed her job. The kids could be troublemaker, but they were sweet and curious and kind a well.

She returned to the kitchen to dole out fruit to herself and the omnivores, and wait for the knock on the door that meant breakfast was served.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Gingerly, Tom made his way around the sandcastle, taking extra, and unnecessary, care not to disturb it; Hyper really liked his sand castles...

It was at this point the young raven noticed a newcomer to their pillow pile; a young tabby kitten who had just arrived and, at least Tom hoped, had not noticed him yet. With a mischievous glint in his eye and an excited shake of his tail feathers, the young bird dived into the pillows, a plan set in motion.

"Tabs!" Tom cried from the far side of the pillow pile, followed by a carefully lobbed stuffed animal, set to strike the kitten in the face.

-G.K. Chesterton

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 am
Site Administrator

"Ian! IAN! Get down from there!"

"Noooooooo, Moommmmmm! I don't wanna go in!" The 4-year-old gecko clung to the wall above the double-door entrance to the building. He'd always been by his mom's side, but now that dad's hours had been cut, she had to start working again, and that meant taking poor little Ian to day care.

"It's going to be OK, hon. You're going to make a bunch of new friends, and they'll have plenty of toys and games to play with!" Ian needed to be around other kids before he started kindygarden next year, and since there weren't very many in his neighborhood, day care was the best thing for him.

He looked back at his mom. "You sure?"

"I'm sure." She smiled. "C'mere...who's my special gecky?"

"I am!" Ian chirped, slowly starting to turn himself toward the ground. He gently climbed down along the brick wall, reaching out for Mommy to hug him into her scaly arms.

"Yes you are! My special gecky's going to be just fine!" She gave his cheeks a little kiss and his eyes a good lick.

"Mooommmm, I can do that myself!" The little gecko blushed.

"I just wanna make sure everything's all nice and clean." And it was; Ian had a pair of jean shorts and an adorable surfer-dude T-shirt. His mom led him down the short hallway before the big room with all the other kids. ESD was at the front.

"This must be Ian!" The border collie knelt down to the gecko's eye level. "Welcome, big guy! You're going to have lots of---"

ESD's greeting was interrupted by Ian running right past him toward his favorite things....the LEGO bricks!"

"Well, someone's happy already!" His mom giggled. "Bye, Ian! See you this afternoon!"

Ian didn't notice, plopping himself down and starting to take the bigger blocks out of the box to make a little fort of his own. Noticing the other kids, though, he made his way toward the new pillow fort.

"Um, hi! I'm Ian! I'm a gecko!"

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Ah, so the little geckoboy did arrive after all! That meant Tica wouldn't be the only herbivore at meals today. While Ian the gecko introduced himself to ESD and the legos, Tica came over to this mother with some forms to sign.

"Hi, my name is Tica, we spoke on the phone?" she said.

The gecko woman smiled and nodded. "Yes, that's right. Thank you so much for taking Ian on such short notice."

"It's our pleasure, it really is. Now I just need you to sign some forms here--I need emergency contact info, medical insurance information, an emergency treatment waiver, a diet and allergies form . . ." The gecko woman skimmed the forms and signed and dated the bottom of each one. On the diet form she carefully wrote down what her child could and could not eat. Then, she handed the forms back to the sloth woman along with a bag with wipes, lotion, sunscreen, toothbrush & toothpaste, and an extra change of clothes.

Seeing that Ian was already introducing himself to the other children, his mother thanked Tica and ESD one more time, and then slipped out, hoping her son wouldn't notice her departure.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next