Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Sandy Creek IC 

Sammy stands atop the tall, helical slide in the playground and gazes around at the town turned golden by the morning sunlight. Contentedly breathing in the fresh sea air, he enjoys his vantage position as cats are wont to do. This is his favourite time of day, before the heat and before the hustle and bustle that comes when other pets and people are up.

Below, a movement catches his eye, and he stares, focusing on a small akubra and a red nose poking from a burrow beneath a nearby tree. He can't see the whiskers from this distance but he knows the hat and nose, and he greets the owner now with a friendly wave and a greeting, his booming voice which is surprisingly deep for a cat cutting through the morning stillness.
"Morning, Furrhan!" Startled, the hat and nose disappear back into the hole form whence they came but, recognising the voice, Furr soon emerges from his burrow and, sure that it's safe, crosses to the edge of the playground. Old habits die hard and Furr is still used to being vigilant about giving away the location of his home.
"Morning, Sammy!" he answers in his high-pitched voice, tipping his hat cordially. Grinning, the cat seats himself in the slide and with a whoop completes the three tight turns to emerge at ground level, not too far from where Furr stands. At home in Australia Furr would be nocturnal but here his body refuses to let him sleep through the day, and indeed the noise made by pets and children in the playground often makes this impossible anyway so gradually Furr has found his circadian rhythms changing. As a result he's now wide awake and hungry. Smiling at his friend's exuberance he sticks his paws into the pockets the way he's seen humans doing and relaxes, content to enjoy the company without needing to speak.

Sammy, on the other hand, impulsively needs to fill the silence.
"Whaddaya got planned for the day, Furr?"
"Oh, the usual. Hunting, scavenging, surviving. You?"
"You sound very enthusiastic about that."
"Well, it's hard to be enthusiastic when you're this hungry."
Sammy laughs his booming laugh. "Point taken. Poor hunt last night?"
"Eh, could have been better. Still, I got a mouse so I can't complain. Could have been worse."
"Only a mouse? That wouldn't feed a kitten! You'd better come home with me and have some CatSnax. I opened a new bag this morning so my owner won't notice if a few extra are missing." Furr pulls a face, recalling his last experience with the dry biscuits.
"No thanks! I'd rather go hungry!"
"Suit yourself." Sammy shrugs as the two stroll through the park, chatting amiably and looking forward to whatever and whomever the day may throw their way.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 am
Profile WWW

Hyper yawned and stretched as he woke up. He groggily walked outside and blinked the sun out of his eyes. He walked to the playground and saw a cat and what looked like a mouse to Hyper. As he walked, you could see sand moving up and down his legs and floating in streams around his head. "Good morning." he greeted, waving at the two.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:29 am
Profile WWW

With a smile on his muzzle, Kristian takes a final breath of morning air before walking into the restaurant. He greets the patrons already in there, along with some of the staff before making his way into the kitchen. He puts on his "Pet The Cook" apron, grabs some chalk and writes on the chalkboard set up near the barstools at the service counter, writing:
"Morning Special:
'The Spicy Awakening'
Scrambled eggs with black pepper and choice of cayenne powder, sliced ghost pepper, or Carolina Reaper extract, smoked bacon, Italian sausage, and two pieces of toast, either plain, with butter, or with peanut butter. Choice of water, orange juice, or milk (recommended) to drink. $5.95".

As he starts to walk back into the kitchen, Ouija walks in, wearing his vest and his spiked armband on the upper part of his left arm, making a small wave with his paw to get Kristian's attention. Kristian notices him and walks to the service counter as Ouija takes a seat on one of the stools.
"Good morning Ouija," he says with the smile still showing brightly on his muzzle, "what brings you here? I don't usually see you while I'm working."
Ouija lets out a small sigh, keeping his less-than happy expression on his face
"I just came by to tell you that we may have some new pets coming to Sandy Creek. Also, Rush is about to go on a tour to celebrate their 40th anniversary as a band. I know you have loved them ever since you saw them live in 81' and that you would enjoy seeing them again. I'll let you know if they have any tour dates by here. Umm.... Kristian?
Ouija looks at Kristian, who looks as if were frozen in place. Kristian's smile gets bigger as he gives Ouija a big hug, carefully avoiding the spikes
"More pets AND Rush?! Yay!!"
Ouija takes an expression of embarrassment as he quickly breaks out of the hug. He tries not to make eye contact with Kristian or anyone else for a moment
"Kristian, you know how I feel about hugging in public..."
Kristian lets out a small chuckle
"You know I'm just excited silly. You want anything to eat?"
"Uh... I guess a ham and cheese omelette to go couldn't hurt."

After making the omelette for Ouija, Kristian goes back into the kitchen as Ouija leaves the restaurant, omelette in his paw, and starts walking towards the playground. He notices some pets there and gives a small, friendly wave with his open paw before he silently sits on a bench near the playground.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:35 pm

"Morning." Furr squeaks, waving to Hyper. Sticking close to Sammy, he's too intimidated by the spikes on Ouija to say much but Sammy has no such qualms. He can't help but sniff at the delicious aroma of the omlette though and his stomach rumbles, uneasy after the previous night's poor hunt.
"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" the cat queries of Ouija, bringing Furr's attention back to reality from his stomach. "I say, those spikes are pretty epic! They wouldn't be out of place on a bulldog! Where did you get them?"

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 am
Profile WWW

Ouija looks at the pair, his attention brought to the cat that is asking him a question. Ouija looks over Sammy before somewhat quietly speaking
"I, um... I got them at a concert..."
Not exactly used to casual encounters like this, he can't think of much else to say to the cat.
His attention is brought to Furrhan as he starts to sense something from him, but he can't tell exactly what it is. This one, could he be hungry?
He looks at the quoll and holds the omelette out to him
"Do you want some? My brother made it. He is really good at cooking, he is a chef at that restaurant over there."

He uses his free paw to point at the restaurant on the other side of the foot bridge.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Hyper followed Sammy over to Ouija, laughing silently as he ran sand across the back of Sammy's neck. "Really? That's so cool!" he said when Ouija talked about his brother.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm
Profile WWW

Ouija, his attention brought to Hyper from his comment, looks at the cat while still holding out the paw that contains the omelette to the quoll.
Ouija takes a moment to look over the cat, noticing the sand and trying to consider whether or not it poses a threat to him. In order not to be rude, he decides to carry on the conversation
"Uh... Thanks?"
He looks over the small group of the two cats and the quoll for a moment before speaking again
"So, what are your names?"

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 am

Furrhan's nose twitches as he sniffs more closely at the omelette. His stomach answers Ouija before his mouth can, emitting a loud grumble. Embarrassed, the quoll raises a paw in front of his face, adjusting his hat.
"Thanks. What is it? It smells good." Furr's eyes are glued to the food and he's not sure if he ought to bite it or wait for Ouija to divide it. Instinctively he'd have grabbed it and run but Sammy has taught him enough that he realises that that would be the height of folly.

Sammy shudders at the mildly unpleasant sensation of sand slithering past his spine an instinctively scratches at his neck.
"Oh. I'm so sorry! Where are my manners? I'm Sammy Cooper and this is my good friend Furrhan Blackwood. I call him Furr for short. He's a quoll from Tasmania. Betcha never met a Tasmanian quoll before! Who do we have the pleasure of addressing, may I ask?"

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:27 am
Profile WWW

"Furrhan and Sammy... I can't say I've seen a quoll in Sandy Creek before.... Anyways, my name is Ouija."

He takes a moment to think about the grumble that came out of the quoll. He must be hungry if his stomach is rumbling like that.

"Furrhan, right? You can have all of the omelette if you want, I'm not too hungry anyway."

He slightly opens the paw holding the omelette so that it will be easier for the quoll to grab it if wants to. As Ouija keeps his paw extended as he tries to read Furrhan. He can't get much in the short time he does it as to not arouse discomfort or suspicion among the small group of pets around him, but he can tell that this quoll probably has to find his own methods of getting food. He looks at the small group as a collective as he gets ready to speak.

"You know, if you guys are ever hungry, just go to the restaurant and ask for Kristian. When you talk to him, tell him that Ouija sent you. He will make sure you don't go home hungry."

He makes a small wink at the quoll in an attempt to let him know that the message was more directed toward him than anyone.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:34 pm

"It's nice to meet you, Ouija. I'm Hyper." Hyper said, creating a hand out of sand that waved at Ouija.

Hyper then sat down and started running sand through his fur.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am
Profile WWW

Furrhan needs no further encouragement.
"Thanks!" Darting forward, he grabs it from Ouija's paw and then skitters back a few steps protectively, cramming as much of the omelette into his mouth in one bite as he's able. He's used to having to fight off quolls and other carnivores while he eats and between mouthfuls he instinctively lets out the screechy warning growl peculiar to dasyurids.

"Thanks for the offer, Ouija. I might just take you up on that some time." Sammy grins, completely missing the wink. Furr, busy trying to finish the food before it can be stolen, also doesn't notice.
"Er, sorry about him." Sammy apologises quietly. "He's a wild quoll that escaped a poacher that would have sold him on the black market. His instincts are strong and he's still learning proper pet etiquette." Sam knows that while he's eating, Furr won't be paying any attention to what's said so he can talk safely.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:01 am
Profile WWW

Ouija watches the sand hand that Hyper made wave at him, then returns his attention to Sammy and Furrhan. He hears the comment made by the quoll as he was turning his attention back to them. He notices that the omelette was no longer in his own paw and Furrhan was now eating eat. He hadn't expected the quoll to be so fast. Ouija lets a small smile slip as his gaze lies on the quoll. What he would give to re-live those times when he was young, hunting squirrels and other small animals with Kristian....

He is brought back to reality as Sammy thanks him and makes the hushed comment about Furrhan. He lowers his voice as he speaks to Sammy
"You don't need to apologize. Trust me, it is not easy to go from the wild to being a pet, especially when living foreign place."

As Ouija is speaking to Sammy, he doesn't notice a certain fox coming up behind him, nor does he sense him due to his thoughts being distracted by the small group around him.

Kristian quickly and quietly makes his way toward Ouija, now dressed in the spare black cargo shorts and Rush t-shirt he keeps in a small locker at work, and wraps his arms around Ouija
"Boo!"
"Gah!"

Ouija about falls off the bench after being scared by Kristian, who is now giggling and smiling, his prayer bead necklace with the cross subtly swinging some. Ouija quickly collects himself and looks up at Kristian, more embarrassed than angry.
"Kristian, what are you doing here?"
"I took the day off to be with you Mr. Cranky."
After another short giggle, he looks up at the small group that Ouija had been speaking to not a minute earlier. He smiles and looks over them as he speaks to Ouija
"Who are your friends, hun?"
Ouija starts to blush under his fur, not very comfortable with Kristian's choice of words. He tries to speak, but it comes out somewhere between a whimper and a whisper
"Please don't call me that...."

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Hyper looked up and gigged when Kristian scared Ouija. He stood up and smiled at the new pet. "I'm Hyper. It's nice to meet you." he greeted, extending sand from his arm to wrap around Kristian's paw and shake it. Hyper, all of a sudden, decided to run the sand he used to shake Kristian's paw through the new pet's fur.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm
Profile WWW

Sammy nods.
"It's not been easy. He's come a long way already although you can see there's still a long way to go." From his vantage point, Sammy can clearly see the fox approaching. Furr, distracted by licking his paws clean, having finished the omelette, does not, so when Kristian and Ouija yell he's startled and bolts for cover, running straight up the nearest tree. Sammy sighs and facepaws.
"Great. It's gonna take a while to get him down now."

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am
Profile WWW

Kristian was happy to meet new animals, he extends his paw to the sand-hand formed by Hyper.
"Nice to meet you too Hy-"
Kristian, cut mid-sentence from the change in the location of the sand, starts to frantically get the sand out of his fur. Although his powers were more trained and keen than Ouija's, he didn't realize what Hyper was going to do with the sand due to the sudden change of thought, which didn't give him enough time to react.

Ouija lost the blush and began to laugh a little at what Hyper was doing to Kristian, but turned his attention to Sammy as he made the comment about getting the quoll to get down from the tree.
"Do you need any help with that? As you can see, my brother is kind of occupied..."

He stifles a laugh as he nods his head in the direction of Kristian, who is now laughing and is lying on the grass, sand still running though his fur
"H-Hey, that tickles!"

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Hyper grinned mischievously and moved the sand faster around Kristian's body, laughing a bit as he did. "That's good to know." he said, smiling.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:34 am
Profile WWW

Bentley yawned as he awoke, the rays of the morning sun pouring illuminating his room. As he realized what time it was he facepawed.
Darn it. I slept in, he thought to himself.
He had forgotten to set his alarm to say goodbye to Jerry leaving to work at the corner store. Bentley let out a sigh.
Well, he'll be back for lunch, I guess.
His stomach rumbled at the thought of lunch.
Might as well get up. That leftover spaghetti sounds really good right now.

Bentley got up and stretched, then, taking his collar from the side table and putting it on, walked to the door, opened it, and turned right down the stairs, his long ears undulating with each step. At the bottom of the stairs he turned around to his left and walked past the living room into the kitchen. Noticing a note on the fridge, Bentley walked up read it to himself:

"Bentley, I was in a rush this morning and I had to eat the leftover spaghetti."
Bentley let out a small frustrated groan.
"I've left some money for you on the island. Go get yourself some breakfast. You can keep the change.
- Jerry"

Bentley nodded and turned to the broom closet. He opened it and got out his step stool. He took the step stool back to the island and got on top of it to see how much money Jerry had left him. Bentley saw a $20 bill on the table.
"Nice!" he said aloud.
Twenty dollars would buy him enough food to last all three meals. He took the bill and put it in his collar's pocket. After putting his stool away, Bentley headed to the door, opened it and stepped out onto the front porch, closing the door behind him. It was a beautiful day, and Bentley took a few moments to enjoy it.

Almost directly across the street was the playground, which included a set of four swings, a carousel, a set of seesaws, some bouncy rides, and a helical slide. Bentley loved the playground, but especially the swings, which made his ears and loose skin flap; and he had been told it was fun to watch as well. The playground was also the home of a funny little creature in a hat and pants, which had been residing in a den under a tree for a while now. While Bentley had never seen this creature up close, he had caught glimpses of him and knew his scent. Beyond the playground was the creek - actually more like a wide shallow river - over which was a nice steel footbridge, just to the left of the park. And just beyond that was the café, Bentley's destination. From here he could smell the food being prepared in the kitchen - spicy omelets!
"Woo!"
Bentley's mouth watered and his tail wagged - spicy was his favorite! He hopped down the steps and started running. He realized his error in judgement just before he got to the street; looking both ways and seeing the road was clear, he crossed the street, opting to slow to a fast walk.

Last edited by Douglas Collier on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Kristian, trying not to be overwhelmed by the the feeling the sand, gets on all fours and scampers away. In his escape. he nearly runs into a Basset Hound that had just crossed the street, but quickly turns to the right. Due to the quick change, Kristian looses his balance and trips onto the road.
"...ow"
In the path that he had ran, Kristian had left a trail of scents that he had collected from the kitchen that morning.

Ouija looks over at Kristian and lets out a sigh similar to Sammy's.
Just one normal day... Is that too much to ask?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 pm

"Whoa, are you ok?"
Bentley helped the fox off the ground.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:51 am

"Thanks for the offer, but no. All he needs is a little time and a little talking to. He still is a tad mistrustful, living on his instincts and all." Crossing to the tree, Sammy leans on the sturdy trunk and peers up into the foliage.
"Hey, Furr, gonna spend all day up there? They didn't mean to startle you, you know. They were just having fu-" Suddenly, Sammy collapses onto all fours as the whole world seems to lurch and quiver and a sound like thunder fills the air, punctuated shrill car alarms. From the corner of his eye, he sees the quoll loose his grip on the branch, so the cat does his best to catch the small animal before he hits the ground, and then rolls into a protective ball until the shaking stops only a few seconds later.
"Wow! We haven't had a big quake like that in quite a while!" grins the cat, climbing back to his feet. "Be aware in case there's aftershocks. Is everyone all right?"
"Wh-wh-what WAS that? What just happened?" squeaks the quoll, shaken in more ways than one, as he straightens his hat.
"That, my friend, was an earthquake. Not a bad one for your first one either! Don't worry, they don't tend to do any damage here and they happen all the time. Just stay away from buildings during a quake and you'll be fine. Trees too, if possible. Hey, Ouija, guess we didn't have to wait too long for him to come down after all! Oh, hi, Bentley! Howzit?"

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next