Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
FFC D&D 

We touched on this on skype a while ago, but how many people would be interested in making a FFC/Furry themed D&D game? I freely admit I don't know the first thing about D&D so we'll need some experienced players, or at least an experienced DM.

Tom suggested that there are some sites we could use to help with this sort of thing but I can't remember what they were now...

We could do this either via Skype or via posting in a thread here on the forums. The forums might even work better since we wouldn't have to wait for everyone to be one at once.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Are you interested?

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:07 am
Profile WWW

roll20 is a site for tabletop roleplay, and it's best to use that probably because those games tend to work best in sessions and also it has the tools and junk.
But yeah! I am always into the idea of playing D&D, not necessarily furry themed but I guess that works.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:48 am
Site Administrator

I'm interested, if anyone can work out the details! I'm not very experienced with D&D.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:02 am
Profile WWW

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be furry/FFC themed. That was just a suggestion that was thrown out there in the chat.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

I'd be more than happy to run it, and I can easily make it furry! My schedule is busy, so as long as you're okay with some inconsistency, I can take care of the unfun stuff!

EDIT: realistically speaking we want 4-6 people. If more than that show up, we'll have to do some funky stuff.

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:09 pm

TomIsAwesome wrote:
so as long as you're okay with some inconsistency

That's why I suggested doing it via posting on the forum - that way we don't all need to be one at once. Would it work that way though?

TomIsAwesome wrote:
realistically speaking we want 4-6

Sleet, MLIII, me and Tom, that's 4. So we can take two more. Possibly more depending on what sort of funky stuff Tom wants to do.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:35 pm
Profile WWW

Furrhan Blackwood wrote:
That's why I suggested doing it via posting on the forum - that way we don't all need to be one at once. Would it work that way though?

It can, sorta. Unlike a normal rp D&D has rules and mechanics to balance how things go. As well, there are a lot of minor interactions, basic actions that need responses. It's really ideally done in real time.

Furrhan Blackwood wrote:
Sleet, MLIII, me and Tom, that's 4. So we can take two more. Possibly more depending on what sort of funky stuff Tom wants to do.

Perfect! Go ahead and start thinking up a character! Don't concern yourself with races, classes, stats, etc. What we'll do is build stats around what you want to play! Later on we'll go over the basics of how to play the game; I'll be doing the legwork. Of note; I don't play characters in campaigns I run, so my 4-6 recommendation does not include me!

I strongly encourage you guys to collaborate on stories, settings, etc. I'll work around what you guys give me!

(note: somebody else can totally DM if they want to I was just taking initiative.)

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm up for a good Ding.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm
Site Administrator

If you wanna do furry themed there's a game called Ironclaw. From what I'm told the mechanics are the same but you can choose from a bunch of different furry species.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

Ian wrote:
If you wanna do furry themed there's a game called Ironclad. From what I'm told the mechanics are the same but you can choose from a bunch of different furry species.

a good idea, but I don't know Ironclad =( It'd be easier for me to create a furry world then learn a new system.

also, yay four people!

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:32 pm

*votes for Tom for DM!*

How does one create a D&D character, Tom?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm
Profile WWW

yay! I love this stuff, the creating and what not.

So, since (most of) you guys don't have a lot of experience with this, rather than go through a beginners course (with tests and weekly pop quizzes), there's two ways we can do this:

Character first then stats: With this method, you make up any character you want. Maybe you wanna be a kickawesome sword master who spins a dance of death with a pair of scimitars, or a wrathful pyromancer who wrecks havoc with devastating flames, or a valiant knight armoured in a wall of steel, or maybe a quiet assassin, picking off foes with a pinpoint arrow or maybe a flurry of knives. The sky's the limit! Come up with someone cool, and I'll take that idea and make a game-appropriate character around it. Now, odds are you won't get to do exactly what you wanted, especially if you're dude is sooper powerful, but you won't have to worry about mechanics or the such, and you'll get to play someone you like. I recommend this route if you have a character in mind you're really interested in playing.

archetypes: Instead of building your character around a fictional story, this way we build your character around a way of playing the game! Every adventuring party needs certain things to be successful. Maybe you like playing spellcasters, maybe you like throwing down up close, or maybe you're the sneaky type. I'll give you a list of archetypes that a party will need, and you pick the playstyle you want, and we'll make a character around that! I recommend this route if you're not really sure what you want to do, and have little to no experience in table top rpgs.

Either way, it's a bit of a process, but a fun process that is!

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:34 pm
Site Administrator

Isn't it normally a faux pas to make characters whose backstories are too "experienced" to be level 1?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Isn't it normally a faux pas to make characters whose backstories are too "experienced" to be level 1?

starting at lvl 1 is for casuals. We're starting lvl 6.

I don't like lvl 1 campaigns. Too often characters die to an unlucky roll, and the spellcasters usually have nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs. Having a few levels under your belt gives you more to do besides "wait to level up," as well as enough durability to take an unlucky roll or two. The drawback is you have more to learn, but a moderate opening quest usually ameliorates that.

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 pm
Site Administrator

Though the stickler in me still feels uncomfortable with a "kickawesome sword master" at a level as low as 6. :P

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:24 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Though the stickler in me still feels uncomfortable with a "kickawesome sword master" at a level as low as 6. :P

Fair enough! You won't get what you want right away, and some things are realistically out of reach, ("I wanna guy who dual wields katanas, can block weapons with his hands, is a master martial artist and can fire magic from his swords!") but many things can be worked toward down the road (or the best approximation I can come up with :P)

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:31 pm
Site Administrator

I'm out if my character can't dual wield katanas, block weapons with his hands, be a master martial artist and fire magic from his swords.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:55 pm
Profile WWW

I'd love to do this.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 am
Profile WWW

so, I dun goofed. I totally forgot that we have peeps from all sorts of time zones, so getting together at a convenient time is gonna be rather tricky. That said, will probs have to do it on the board, if the mods don't mind.

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

My fault. I think I'm the only non-American here. :P
I think we won't have trouble with the mods though, especially considering one wants to play.
I wonder if this ought to be done in the roleplaying section?

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next