Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Reminder: Please Play Nice! 

Unfortunately it's come to our attention that some members are uncomfortable here, in the chats and/or in the game nights due to banter and teasing about their denominations.

We want everyone to feel welcome and comfortable here, and while we do encourage a bit of friendly banter, we'd like to remind everyone to please make sure it stays light-hearted and fun by avoiding making jokes about sensitive topics such as denominations, religions, gender/sexuality, and political views.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation and please do feel free to approach any of our friendly staff with any concerns or questions you might have!

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Can we have some specific examples of what is causing the issues? I have trouble with general advice like this. Some hypothetical examples of inappropriate comments would really help, imho.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

If he's talking about what I think he is, you're not really likely to run into this! I think this generally means things like saying mean stuff about denominations, even as a joke.

Mean things like "Garbflorbians are scum" rather than "I disagree with Garbflorbian's views on the divinity of John the Baptist as the fourth Person of the Trinity." The latter is fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Furrhan!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

It's kinda tough to come up with some examples of stuff that actually might get said in chat or in a game or anything, but I'll try (along with some suggested alternatives and silly made up denomination names):

"The whole Spamlican church is just deceitful and evil." - Bad
"I don't agree with the doctrines of the Spamlican church but I respect their beliefs." - Good

"Fliptists are so mean and crazy." - Bad
"I've had a few bad experiences with some Fliptists but I know they aren't all bad." - Good

"Blagoblyterians are losers." - Bad
"I'm not a Blagoblyterian, but they seem like nice people." - Good

"Globotalians get offended so easily." - Bad
"I need to learn more about Globotalianism so I can make sure I'm always being kind and sensitive towards their feelings." - - Good

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Administrator

Tica wrote:
Can we have some specific examples of what is causing the issues? I have trouble with general advice like this. Some hypothetical examples of inappropriate comments would really help, imho.

We were playing Quiplash where the final question was to come up with a full name for the acronym UAD. Someone put "Unrelentingly Awful Degenerates" then included a certain Christian denomination in parentheses. One person who happens to be of that denomination messaged me a couple hours after this happened and told me they were offended by it, so in the Discord chat I gave a general announcement not to put people down, even if it's in jest.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]