Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Feral Forest - Temperate 

(So, this thread was remarkably popular in the last forum, so I figured I'd revive it. I never participated in it personally, but it seemed like fun so...I'm gonna bring it back!)

It was a beautiful day; not a cloud in the sky and the sun had just arched over the hills that surrounded the green valley like the edges of a shallow bowl, creating a fantastic juxtaposition of the luminous upper hills and the phantom zone of the darker forests below. On the hill facing opposite the rising sun, and thus most fully bathed in its warmth, sat a rock. It was an innocuous thing, in no way extraordinary, save for the black bird splayed fully across its surface, soaking in the heat.

It had been a cold night. It was the start of spring time now, and while the days were getting hotter and hotter, the nights still remained their chill, and the raven now enjoying the sun's rays was a visible example of this. Slowly, the cold from the night before was melting away to the welcome embrace of warmth, and the feeling was intoxicating to the bird. He almost missed the sound of something coming up the hill to him, but the crack of a twig caused him to jump up and pan the area with his head wildly, searching for the source of the sound.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:12 am

(For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know me that well, I'm male. I tend to role-play as female characters, but I'm male. Just want to make that clear to avoid confusion--I don't want to deceive people.)

ChewyChewy, the omega wolf, was on the outskirts of her pack's territory as usual. She was the omega because she had stripes, almost like a skunk, and so easily stood out, making it impossible for her to hide from prey. Even if she managed to remain downwind and behind her prey, she was just plain not a good hunter. The fact that a twig had cracked under her paw was a testament to this. She happened to notice that it had alerted a black bird.

"Oops! I'm sorry...." said the omega as though speaking to a higher ranking wolf instead of a mere bird. "I didn't mean to do that." She cringed, as though fearing the bird would peck her eyes out in retaliation.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:35 pm

The source of the noise emerged cautiously from the brush, revealing itself to be a oddly colored she-wolf, smaller than most wolves and, as Tom the raven guessed, a bit undernourished. To his surprise, she was alone, and seemed remarkably supplicant about some perceived offense. Seeing as the wolves in the area had a habit of domineering other creatures, thanks in no small part to their comfortable position on the top of the food chain, this humble behavior was remarkably off putting.

Now more aware of his situation, Tom realized he had assumed his "defensive stance," his left leg raised, claws spread wide with his wings held in front of him. Slowly, he resumed a more normal position as his cautiousness was replaced with curiosity.

"No, You're fine....what are you doing up here? Wolves don't often come up here very often."

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:38 pm

"Oh...am I trespassing? I didn't mean...I mean, I didn't smell any scent marks...."

She turned red, and bowed low.

"It's just that...I'm an omega, I'm not allowed to be in the center of the pack's territory...."

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:53 pm

"An...Omega...scent marks?"

Admittedly, the politics of the local wolf packs was one of occasional talk amongst the animals that typically weren't prey, but this usually revolved around the strongest, largest wolves, not about the lesser wolves. He'd never heard of this term "omega" before, though he put two and two together and gathered it must be some lower social class, explaining her supplication.

"Its just that, you don't see wolves up here very often, not alone. The mountain lions don't like trespassers..."

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

"Well...yes...so I assumed this wasn't anyone's territory.... If I made a mistake, I can leave...."

She was uncomfortable talking to someone like this. Usually she was punished for it.

"M-MOUNTAIN LIONS?!?" cried ChewyChewy. Now she was REALLY scared.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 am
Lady Sloth

A spotted lioness named Gypsi-Rae was catnapping in the woods, stretched out upon the leaves. The dappled sunlight played over her spots in such a way that she was hard to see or make out, so long as she stayed still. There was a black bird nearby, sunning himself on a rock. He definitely had the right idea. This sunny day was perfect for sleeping.

She found herself roused, however, as another creature entered the forest, and took up a conversation with the bird. A breeze brought the smell of a female wolf to Gypsi's nose. Curious, Gypsi flicked back an ear to lazily eavesdrop on them. She couldn't really hear much until the she-wolf shouted, "MOUNTAIN LIONS??"

As she was downwind, Gypsi suppressed a chuckle and slowly got up, making her way to the rock slowly in stalking position. She was partially obscured by the rock, the dappled light--and of course she was very quiet.

Ears back, teeth bared, she said quietly, right behind the bird, "hello there..."

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 am
Profile WWW

A few miles hence, a drunken motorist had plunged through the guard rail, down a thirty foot embankment, and landed their Lincoln Continental at the bottom. Don't worry, they were fine. Heck, the car hadn't even been all that horribly damaged, at least in the passenger compartment.

That had been somewhere around the '70s. Now the plush passenger compartment of the wrecked car housed a coyote who had a taste for roomy luxury cars. The velour felt great to roll on, and there were plenty of old 8-tracks to chew on and disembowel. But it was now time to get up.

Turnpike--for that was the coyote's name--yawned and stretched, dragging his claws against the threadbare back seat. Incidentally, he'd been named after a stretch of stripey grey rock that, to scavengers, was a wonderland, an almost endless feast of carrion. Of course, it was dangerous, and few who had ventured to it returned. But yeah, nice place to name a yote after, I guess.

Anyway, time to meet the day. Turnpike ambled up to the front seat, placed his paws gingerly on the front driver's side window frame, and hopped out. Oof. Curse that extra weight in his trunk--not his house's trunk. Y'see, automobiles weren't the only human invention Turnpike had embraced. Out toward the edge of the forest and down the road a piece sat an all-you-can-eat buffet, and apparently, the patrons cached their food in a metal and plastic box out back. When night fell, there was a smorgasbord of unfinished nommables at his disposal. And all that MSG, Hydrolized Soy Protein, and empty calories had gone to the coyote's waist. He had a beer gut like a furry basketball, and frankly, didn't mind it a bit. Though the space between the front seats of his home WAS getting a little difficult to squeeze through. He'd have to do some chewing on it later.

Anyway, the coyote trotted along, admiring the scenery of the rest of the relatively untouched forest. His ears pricked and he shook off the aftermath of his last food coma when he heard voices. O'eck. A lioness playing with a wolf and a bird. Aw, this was too good to pass up. He'd probably get killed for it, but the mischief was to die for. Turnpike crept up behind the lioness, doing his best to stalk soundlessly, then crouched down to the floor.

"YIP-YAAWRRR!" he cried behind her, all his muscles tensed and ready to bolt.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 am

ChewyChewy began to get frightened. She saw and heard the lioness behind the bird, a predator considerably bigger and stronger than she was. And then a coyote let out a cry that was so loud it seemed to have come from an even larger animal, and this frightened ChewyChewy even though she herself was bigger than the coyote.

She was used to this kind of behavior from her pack, but she didn't know how non-wolves acted.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 am

"YOW! CAW CAW CAW!!"

A series of rapid events occurred with Tom, each one building upon the snowball of shock. The voice out of nowhere made him jump and turn, which caused him to lose his footing on the uneven rock. He had little time to register this, as he suddenly came face to face with the bright and sharp fangs of a massive, from his point of view, lion that had come out of nowhere. Reflexively, he began batting his wings in an attempt to take flight, but a loud yipping caused him to twist his body to follow the noise. The uneven footing, the panicked flapping, and the rapid twisting amassed in a cavalcade of clumsiness resulting in the bird tumbling aimlessly from his rock to roll down ward in a agitated ball of feathers, only to come to rest bumping into the feet of ChewyChewy.

Disoriented and thoroughly confused, he stared up at the wolf with a vacant look.

"Ah....Hi..."

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

ChewyChewy turned her face away, as an omega always did when a higher ranking wolf stared into her eyes.

"H-Hello...."

She did not bother to eat him because she was not allowed to hunt. She stunk at hunting anyway--her fur pattern made her easily visible, and she was always the last to eat because of her low rank.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]