Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
A Big Day 

Location: The Entertainment Capitol of the World--- Mah Brain. :3
It was a quiet afternoon in the suburbs. The autumn leaves were beginning to turn, and the cool breeze made the day absolutely lovely. In a picturesque house down the street from where our story begins, two little girls, a raccoon kit and her friend, a collie, were busy dressing their dolls up for the ball where they'd meet Prince Charming. The collie pup was new to the neighborhood and rather offset when a miniature earthquake rumbled the house for a second. She turned and looked panic-striken as she asked her friend, "WHAT WAS THAT?!" Her friend hushed her and said, "Don't worry, that was just Mr. Big down the street. One of his inventions must've blown up again." The collie looked at her friend funny and shrugged, figuring that other neighborhoods must just be weird in comparison to hers, going back to brushing her dolly's coat.

Down the street in an average looking house with a red oak tree build, a door banged opened and smoke rolled out as along with a soot covered figure. The smoke activated the built in sprinkler system and left the guy standing in his hallway sooty and wet. He shook himself off and poofed up a bit, pondering to himself, "I thought for sure that was going to work. Biff-bot, mind cleaning up a bit for me? I need to get myself cleaned and my head out of the lab for a minute." A one and a half foot robot that looked like a cross between a turtle and a hamster came wheeling in with a vacuum attachment shaking at the guy. It was a proud achievement for Big when he was able to recreate the personality of his old assistant from his teenage days, although... "Meeza clean, youza blow stuff up, meeza clean again. If I didn't like your build-builds so much..." he'd managed to make the robot understandable in comparison to his gremlin-fur friend from outer space, but the squeaky voice and verbal tics remained. "Thank you Biff-bot," he grinned. The robot threw his cleaning attachments up in frustration, "GAHHHHH!!!" Big chuckled as he knew the robot really liked cleaning since it was happy with its place in life, but also loved to make a show about it.

After his shower, he stepped out of his room fully dressed, having thought out what he'd done wrong on his invention and determining that he needed to make a trip into town for a few loose items. He ruffled his crayola-box blonde hair and sighed, but glad for the chance to get out. His button-down blue shirt was open as a homage to his old village, long-since burned down but highly traditional in its ways. He had a few friends from the old village that understood its deep meaning, but in the society they lived in now, it held little importance. He attached his PDA to his belt buckle and went to the garage to get his car. "Hmm, I don't really feel like using any gas today," he said as he pressed a button on the wall. The car began to be disassembled by the garage until a rather simplistic hover scooter was sitting in its place.

The little raccoon girl noticed the garage door opening and dragged her friend to the window to look out from the second story. She waved hi to Mr. Big as he passed. He noticed and slowed down, waving back. She asked him, "Did one of your machines blow up again, Mr. Big?" He was embarrassed to admit it, but said, "Yeah, gotta run to the parts store to get a few things. I'm sorry if I interrupted you playing again, Gigi!" She shook her head, "No, it's okay, me 'n my friend Molly were just playing with our dolls. We're going to the ball! She didn't know about the 'splosions and thought it was an earthquake." Big took stock of that and noted his lab's earthquake prevention system might need more looking into if they still felt it. Time was ticking though, so he said, "Alright, well sorry again, but you have fun at the ball! Say hi to Prince Charming for me, okay?" Gigi grinned, "Okay!" and waved to him as he drove off.

(So, no idea where this will be going, but if someone wants to throw ideas in the mix, I'd love to see where this turns!)

Thu May 24, 2012 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

(I'm actually an adult male in my late twenties, so please don't be confused.)

A ten-year-old hedgehog rushed out of the house as she felt the earthquake.

"What the heck was that?! It sounded like the Earth just had a major gas attack!"

Harriet Hedgehog was new in the neighborhood and so did not know Mr. Big, and so she did not connect the car driving away with the earthquake in her mind. She did see it, however, and she saw the girls waving from the second story window.

"Hey! Do either of you know what just happened?"

Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

(Eh, I'm just gonna have fun with it. :) )

Thousands of feet up in the air, cruising at several hundred miles an hour, was a black dot. From the ground, it was hardly identifiable as little more than a moving speck, and some would speculate what it might be. Was it a plane? Well, no. It was just too small to be a plane. Was it a bird? Well, yes, but the answer wasn't quite so simple. No, it was none other than the Earth's Mightiest Avian, the superhero NightRaven!
Those watching from the ground may notice that he wasn't exactly flying straight. Occasionally, the Winged Wonder would drift off course, only to correct himself and straighten his flight path. It wasn't hard to blame him, he was exhausted. only a few hours earlier, he, alongside Techni-Gal and Mr. Powerful, had fought off the robot army of Professor Nefario that had threatened to destroy Chicago. Of course, he'd wished there could have been more than just three of them, but they were the only alpha-level heroes not on leave, and no one else was allowed to tackle an Omni-1 level assignment.
Alpha-level. Omni-1. These were all terminologies used by none other than the Defender's League, the superheroes guild. They dictated the rules as to who could handle what problems, and when you simply had to take time off. It made sense, really; he'd seen a number of great heroes burn themselves out working to hard, or take on a foe far beyond their level, and get themselves killed. So while there was times when he found the rules hindering, he had to admit they were there for a reason.
It was because of the guild then, that he found himself flying over the suburbs, far from any real trouble. It was his turn to return to the mundane life of the average citizen, to get some much needed R and R, as well as keep up his alter ego.
Faster than the eye could follow, NightRaven dived into a grove of trees, only to emerge moments later, his black and silver supersuit being carefully hidden beneath the civilian's clothes he kept hidden in the grove for just this reason. Tucking his mask into a back pocket, he stepped onto the sidewalk of the suburbs, taking in the warmth of daytime and the gentle peacefulness of the suburbs in the afternoo-

"Mr. LaRoe! Back already from your business trip?"

Emerging like the shrill call of a banshee came the voice of Mrs. Wachowski, NightRaven's neighbor. An elderly widower, Thomas LaRoe, as he was known in his civilian clothes, had taken to helping her with various chores the aging housecat couldn't handle herself. This had endeared him to the old cat, and she took every opportunity to get involved in his life.

"Yes, Mrs. Wachowski, I'm going to be here for a while."

"Oh, I've been watching your house. I didn't see you come in."

"I...ah....I came in last night."

"Oh. Okay. Would you mind helping me with a little something, dear?"

Tom gave a sigh, he couldn't refuse her, and walked over to her house, following her into the backyard. Immediately, he saw the problem; one of the trees in her backyard, a smaller one thankfully, had been blown over in a storm and now rested against the side of her house.

"If you could help me move that tree, dearie, you would be just a darling."

Approaching the tree, Tom braced himself beneath it. his face strained as he pushed on the log with both arms, causing it to budge slightly.

"Here, let me go inside and get you some iced tea for your troubles."

"That would be wonderful, ma'am, thank you."

Slowly, Mrs. Wachowski wandered out of the backyard and into her house. Standing up from under the tree, Tom stared at it incredulously before giving it a flick with his finger. The tree lurched free violently from its position, wobbling precariously on its base. Unfortunately, the tree had lodged against the house's chimney, and so when it was removed, the upper half of the chimney ripped free with it. In a panic, Tom dived and caught the hunk of brick with an outstretched hand. He stared at the broken debris, wondering what to do with the damaged piece of building.

"I added some lemon slices, I hope you don't mind."

The door to the backyard slowly opened as Mrs. Wachowski emerged, carrying a tray with two glasses full of tea. Tom scanned the backyard in a panic for somewhere to hide the brick chimney top. Unable to find a suitable location he launched it skyward with a great heave.

"Oh, I see you already moved the tree."

"Yeah, it was just caught on something...just needed to get it free..." He said this while occasionally stealing peaks upward to try and track the falling masonry. "Do you think you...ah...could grab me some...ah..Sugar! Could you get me some sugar!"

"You want some sugar, dear?"

"Yes! sugar! please!"

As soon as the aged cat turned to head back into the house, Tom leaped into the air, catching the chimney before it could hit the ground. Had Mrs. Wachowski turned around, she would have found her neighbor Tom floating several feet off the ground, holding her broken chimney top. Its a good thing, for her already creeping dementia, that she did not turn around. Replacing the chimney, Tom vowed to come back at a later date and fix it proper. One quick drink with Mrs. Wachowski, now with sugar, and he was out of there, crisis averted.
A few minutes later, and Tom was striding down the sidewalk along the suburbs, on his way to his house. As he walked, he passed a young fox kit playing with a pair of action figures, one a noble looking lion in resplendent white tights and cape, the other a familiar black raven in black and silver.

"Hey, guy, whatcha got there?"

The young boy looked up at Tom, a little embarrassed to be caught playing but politely responded. "I'mma playin' with my NightRaven and Captain Maximum toys."

Tom beamed at the sight of himself in action figure form, though he had to admit they always made him look alot more ripped than he really was....

"Oh yeah, whatcha playing?"

"Captain Maximum is beating up NightRaven."

"But...they're both superheroes, why would they do that."

"well 'cause Captain Maximum is better than NightRaven and he's my favorite."

"Well, okay, so Captain Maximum may be stronger, and he may have been around a little longer, but he's hardly better. I mean, he's basically a flying brick, and he's pretty much useless against anything that doesn't involve punching. And if you're referring to the fight with Ragnarok, I spend twenty minutes softening him up for the guy before Captain Maximum even got there, so saying he saved me is really a bit of stretch if you think about it."

"Can I just go back to playing now?"

"Oh, right...yeah. Sorry."

A little embarrassed, Tom left the kid to his playing, and continued walking down the street. On cue, the ground shook as if a massive explosion had gone off underground. He paid it little heed, assuming it to be the work of local supergenius Mr. Big. Most of the neighborhood would go on ignoring it as well, save for one young hedgehog that came running out of her house. Tom had to stop and try and recollect her name; he had met her once when she moved in....Carrie? Haley? Harriet!

"Hey, Harriet, where's the fire?"

Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 am

"That's what I'd like to know!" said Harriet. "What WAS that?"

Fri May 25, 2012 11:29 am

"Hi Mr. LaRoe!" Gigi called out from her second story window. Molly was sympathizing with the hedgehog who must've also been new to the neighborhood. Her friend said to the girl, "No need to worry! Mr. Big lives down the street, and those earthquakes are normal when something explodes in his underground lab. You just missed him go by on his hover-scooter to go buy some parts. This one was actually pretty small in comparison to the first time it happened. You're back early from your business trip early, Mr. Laroe! You put the smackdown on those business rivals good?" she asked unwittingly.

Meanwhile Big had made his way downtown to the parts shop and had just stopped in the bookstore afterwards to browse for a bit before heading back home. Well that and to say hi to someone. His friend was a manager there, and when he spotted him with a handful of books he said, "Working hard as usual, huh Jarix?" The black bat was just as tall as him, save for their ears, his were one of the few sets that was bigger than his. He pushed a loose strand of amber-colored hair out of the way and countered, "The same could be said of you. One of your neighbors came in earlier and mentioned it." Big chuckled, "I think I'm almost done for this afternoon. Care to stop by later so we can hang out?" Jarix nodded, "Yeah, you can show me your latest and greatest invention once I'm off." Big noted the unusual hours he was working when Jarix yawned. "These are some odd hours for me, but I'm kinda forced to every so often. It irks Cila when she wants us to go out," he made reference to his girlfriend. Big nodded, "Well bring her by if you can too, perhaps maybe we can make it a little occasion."

Fri May 25, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW

"Oh, gee, well, I'm glad to know that EARTHQUAKES are NORMAL here!" said Harriet, semi-facetiously. "Especially from EXPLOSIONS! But I guess, if they're typical, that means he isn't hurting himself.... Sorry, I'm new here."

Fri May 25, 2012 12:58 pm

"I...Well yeah! Not exactly what I do...but ya, I got them good!"

A little off put by how curiously specific the comment had been, Tom paused for a moment, only to have his spirits lifted by Harriet's exasperated response. He laughed gently.

"That's okay. Mr. Big is a self-sustaining inventor. He lives of a number of patents he holds, and he prefers to work from home, so he built his research laboratory underneath his house. He works with some volatile stuff, but he's always careful to make sure no one is in danger. He only sells a small number of his inventions, so you should ask him sometime to show you around!"

Tom smiled, hoping this would placate the young girl.

Fri May 25, 2012 1:35 pm

"I see," said Harriet. "Well, I'm glad of that, anyway. I just hope he doesn't get hurt.... And...only if I could be sure of my own safety. Otherwise, no thank you."

Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Big sneezed as he made his way home with his bag of supplies, the whole errand taking less than ten minutes, and slowed down as he came back into the neighborhood. He spotted Mr. LaRoe talking with a few of the kids, so he paused to ask, "Hey, where's the party at? Don't tell me I wasn't invited!" He spotted the new face, "You must be that girl that moved in recently. She was freaking out because of the earthquake, huh?" He grinned sheepishly, "Name's Big, sorry about that."

Mon May 28, 2012 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

Bigfox3 wrote:
Big sneezed as he made his way home with his bag of supplies, the whole errand taking less than ten minutes, and slowed down as he came back into the neighborhood. He spotted Mr. LaRoe talking with a few of the kids, so he paused to ask, "Hey, where's the party at? Don't tell me I wasn't invited!" He spotted the new face, "You must be that girl that moved in recently. She was freaking out because of the earthquake, huh?" He grinned sheepishly, "Name's Big, sorry about that."

"Yeah, that's right," said Harriet. "Mom and Dad and I just recently moved in. But I am glad you're not hurt."

She offered her paw. "Name's Harriet. Harriet Hedgehog. Pleased to meet you."

Mon May 28, 2012 4:37 pm

"Good afternoon, Mr. Big!" Replied Tom cheerfully. "I'm guessing you've hit a roadblock on your latest project." He said referencing the earthquake. "You're not trying to bring back the quantum energy generator, are you? Last time I checked you'd hit a major roadblock."

Tom really had no idea about the science behind half the stuff Mr. Big did. But on occasion they would discuss it.

"And I guess i should Introduce myself, Miss Harriet. My name is Thomas LaRoe. You can call me Tom, Mr. Tom, Mr. Laroe, Hey birdy, what'ever works for you!"

He smiled and pointed to the house next door.

"I live in the one with the overgrown lawn and newspapers piling up. Looks like we're neighbors!"

Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Big nodded, then shook his head, "I've still got a lot of numbers to crunch before that happens again." He took Harriet's hand and shook it gently. "I was actually developing something that might be of interest to the girls here. It's called the Digi-MC pen, short for Digitized Megaton Closet in a pen. It's uses include instant accesorizing, various stitching capabilities within hyperspace, garment repair, and I did have a capability I was thinking of trying to grant the wielder super-abilities pre-programmed into the outfits. Sadly, the download of data wasn't being handled well due to my faulty connections, hence the explosion. This one won't turn a profit like my other invention did since it has limited capabilities due to the size of the wardrobe being downloaded, but if anyone's interested, I can show everyone what I've done later this afternoon."

Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile WWW

After Harriet got her paw back, she swooped it over her head. "Whoa, Doc, ya lost me there. Can you put it in lay terms?"

To Tom she said, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Laroe. And I guess we are!"

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 pm

"Super powers, you say..." Tom immediately grew interested in Mr. Big's construction. Normally, whatever the inventor was working on was something innocuous, and while at times truly revolutionary, often amounted to taking some every day task and simplifying it using some arcane science only he really understood. But a device that granted superpowers...that could be dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands. He would have to keep a closer eye on this one.

"I would be really interested in seeing this in action. Not really interested in trying it on personally, but I'd like to see what it does."

Tom checked his wrist, even though there wasn't a watch; an entirely automatic motion.

"Well, I should get going. Got cleaning and unpacking to do. I'll see you guys later this afternoon!"

Waving, Tom walked away from the pair, heading to his own home.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Gigi smiled and said, "I'll ask my mommy if we can come over!" Molly was a little scared about going over, but then Gigi said, "It's okay. Big's always EXTRA careful when I'm over cause he doesn't want to break anything, so we'll be fine." Her mom would gladly oblige her daughter's request, if only to give her a reason to yell at Big if anything happened to her little girl and get some respite from the earthquakes. Big smiled and said, "Okay, I'll be ready for everyone at about 7:00 this evening. See you then!" He scootered off to finish off the last touches to his machine.

That night at around 7:00 Jarix showed up first, winging into the neighborhood with ease. Big let him in and asked about his girlfriend, surprised she wasn't there. He said, "She was still sleeping when I left, so I left her a note. Maybe she'll come by, if only to scold me for hanging out with you over her when she's in a cold-dead sleep." That made both of the guys laugh as he let Jarix in.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 am
Profile WWW

A nap, a shower, a microwave dinner, and a set of clean clothes later, Tom was out the door. He would be a little late to Mr. Big's demonstration, but he suspected the scientist would wait until he had an audience. Striding across the lawn, he walked up to the front door of the Hedgehog family and rang the doorbell; he figured that, seeing as they were new, Harriet's parents may not feel comfortable letting their daughter walk off all alone, and figured he'd help ease that discomfort. For a moment, he pondered the irony that they might in fact feel unsafe about leaving Harriet with him, seeing as there really wasn't a whole lot of anything that could threaten him at all. Nonetheless, he felt the best option was to be polite.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]