Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Adservatae Animae OOC & Character thread 

TomIsAwesome wrote:
I'm enjoying your character, by the way. He's pleasantly compelling.

Thanks. I appreciate that, really.

I have to say that I was surprised that you condemned your character. Now that you've taken Martin, I'm wondering, as was your character earlier in the story, if his duties remain (since he still retains his abilities), or is he just following the only path he knows.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 pm

honestly? haven't worked it all out. Kinda make it up as I go...

-G.K. Chesterton

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

@Gypsi:

I am writing my next part and the Devorans Animorum is meeting Its Council of Thirteen, and I wanted to give them Latin names based on their purpose. The DA is the only gender-less character I planned on making, so the names I am likely giving to them when translated into Latin will determine their gender. I will determine the species of each afterward. But here is what I am working with so far:

1. Blight: Robiginem
2. Pestilence: Tabes
3. Fear: Timor
4. Slaughter: Nex
5. Deception: Fraus
6. Sloth/Lazy: Piger
7. Envy: Invidus
8. Covet: Trahax
9. Greed: Varacitus
10. Pain: Dolor
11. Despair: Deploro
12. Hate: Odi
13. Arrogance: Fastus

If you can think of better translations for each - as I am sure you can (even if they require 2 words) that would be helpful. Otherwise I'll go with these and we can change them later. These Demi's are named for what the do to NPC's and possibly PC's. 13 was chosen because of the superstition of 13 being unlucky.

Also: do the NPC's worship the Guardians? That is, are temples erected to them, and have a hierarchy of religious figures that pray to them, or are the guardians considered not gods, but work on the gods' behalf.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 am

I am reading over the conversation in the tavern as I am writing it, and I think that I like Tim's dialect better. Maybe later on I can go over it - with suggestion/help - to change some of the phrasing to remove any inconsistency. If I am doing too much, please let me know. But remember, anyone can grab an NPC, so I will edit this post afterward (if no one else posts in the meantime) and give a description of Branson and Lohngren. Even if you're all cool with this, the description will help with writing for or conversing with the two.

Edit: Branson is the older brother of Lohngren. And they have been bickering amongst themselves since they were children.

Branson is a human of average heightbut is built stockier than most. He is fit, toned and made not so much for speed as strength. He trained as infantry during a land dispute between to rival Lords when he was younger, and work was scarce. He proved to be skilled tactician and was away from his family for almost a decade. Three years of that was spent under siege in the keep of the Lord that hired him. He was rewarded as it was his tactics that helped the Lord survive the siege and consequently eliminate the enemy when they ran out of supplies. Branson rests all of his pride on that and being an accomplished hunter, leading one of the guilds. Firm but fair. He also hates having to take a back seat to Lohngren.

Lohngren is taller than Branson by several inches. He is roughly 6'2" dark blonde and slender. He is one of the best trackers in the region, and not a bad archer though many are better. Lohngren spent most of his time growing up in education. Even Augur Vigilo was impressed with the lad that he was sent to train where the Orion initiates learn tracking and forensics (he has been sworn to secrecy as to its whereabouts). He tries to be as proper as possible, maybe to show off his education, maybe because it's the right thing to do. But he also knows that next to the doctor, and Augur Vigilo, he's the smartest man in the room. Always trying to impress his brother, he usually steps on his toes. He doesn't mean to because Branson did support the entire family while he was off at school.

Spiritually: Branson does not see much need for any gods beyond Orion, and Lohngren is more studious/superstitious/suspect of the spirit realm.

Wow. I suppose that could have been in the story somewhere.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:27 pm
Lady Sloth

Phyreman wrote:
Also: do the NPC's worship the Guardians? That is, are temples erected to them, and have a hierarchy of religious figures that pray to them, or are the guardians considered not gods, but work on the gods' behalf.

The Guardians are not currently worshiped, although the veneration given to them is approaching worship as time goes on and their legends grow larger.

Mostly they just have shrines where offerings are made--specifically for them to physically eat since they have physical bodies as well as their spiritual ones--and supplicatory prayer is given. It's kind of like Catholics and Orthodox praying to the saints: the saints have the power to intercede before us to Christ, so we ask them for help and prayers, but we don't worship them outright. Likewise people pray to the adservatae animae for help because they have the power to help. The prayers are, however, typically unheard because the animae are not omniscent nor omnipresent, but things like psychopomps and other spiritual beings that overhear the prayers can bring word to the animae wherever they happen to be. Building the shrines was a little misguided, to say the least...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

[legal double post]

I have removed everything from both the RP and this OOC thread that had anything to do with ChewyChewy's character or his questions or his moral dilemma with roleplaying female characters as a man. I have no patience with the kind of veiled sexism that he was displaying toward the end of that discussion, and we exchanged harsh words about it via PM (also regarding other topics on other boards), and he has left FFC, finally chased away by the ever-growing tensions between him and several of the people here.

It's a sigh of relief now that he's gone: I did not treat him with as much charity as he deserved, nor did I model Christ in my behavior toward him, but as the only woman on this board I felt especially antagonized by his arguments on certain topics and it's best that he does not participate in my RPs, especially not writing a female character, regardless of the morality of it (although OBVIOUSLY it is not wrong to roleplay as the opposite gender! please!).

I also felt as though his character didn't quite fit into this RP... that he was trying, by creating her curse subplot, to subsume the plot we've already created with his own, and that he mostly disregarded the world-building, character-building, and plot-building we've already accomplished in order to write a fairy tale loosely connected to Orbis Terrae.

As he has not moved or shaken the plot in any way, I simply deleted his character rather than figuring out a way to write her out.

Since we've hit a bit of a bump in the road due to this incident, I would like to hear from you guys regarding how the story is going so far and what direction you would like to take it in. I am sincerely enjoying writing this with you all and I wouldn't want it to shrivel up and fade away because of a piece of drama an interloper has injected into our OOC chatting about it.

I think, instead of having Deuza as a power source, we should figure out some other MacGuffin that we can race the bad guys to find. What other ideas do we have?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

sorry for the triple post -- Phyreman I'm trying to send you a PM, but it isn't working? is your inbox full?

here's what I wanted to send:

Subject: Adservatae Animae OOC & Character thread

see my comments re: translation below.

---

1. Blight: Robiginem --- I would use "calamitas", but if you want to use "rubigo" why not use the nominative instead of the accusative case?

2. Pestilence: Tabes --- I would use "pestilentia" for easy reading by non-Latin speakers. "tabes" is less strong and just means "decay."

3. Fear: Timor --- perfect.

4. Slaughter: Nex --- perfect.

5. Deception: Fraus --- good.

6. Sloth/Lazy: Piger --- good.

7. Envy: Invidus --- good.

8. Covet: Trahax --- where did you get this word? I don't recognize it. Personally I would use "concupitus", because it's the gerund of concupisco, which is the root of "concupiscence," which has nice theological implications.

9. Greed: Varacitus --- I think you want "avaritia"

10. Pain: Dolor --- good.

11. Despair: Deploro --- "deploratus" is better, using the gerund instead of the 1st person present active indicitive; deploro literally means "I weep," but if you want your villain to be the one weeping, keep it

12. Hate: Odi --- "odium" is the noun. "odi" means "I hate"

13. Arrogance: Fastus --- good.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile WWW

Possibly full, had a lot of back and forth with Chewy. I'll go clear it out.

A lot of the possible names, I had many to chose from, others, not so much. I know how much you adore Google translate, and I haven't taken a Latin class since high school, that's why I turned to the RP's resident Latin source: you. I was also trying to chose a translation that would also work as a name for a more sinister character. Also after reading your post, making it easier for the reader, and since everyone else is being refered to by their Latin names, I am open to suggestion.

#1. I like Calamitus
#2. I like Pestilentia as an alternative. I can make this a female evil character.
#8. I got Trahax from covetous also meaning greedy so I was concerned with duplicating characters, but trahax sounds mean, so I went with it.
#9. Avaritia doesn't sound sinister. Is there a form of it that would? Maybe a second female evil? Otherwise I think the reader could handle/ recognize Varacitus as voracious.
#11. I agree with the change. I would rather he be "I make you weep" rather than I weep.
#12. Odium is better. He does hate, but he's supposed to be spreading it. I might keep those closer to him call him Odi for short. He could hate that too.

Thank you. That is why I asked you.

Do we have an ETA on another RP post, or should I add to mine?

Also re: guardians. Curatrix Pacis is the Guardian of this area. Is there a history, beyond sealing away an evil long ago, of the Guardians meeting and teaming up? Are they "assigned" regions, or do they roam, with Euroa being an all encompassing responsibility?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm
Lady Sloth

as far as I know, "trahax" and "varacitus" aren't actual Latin words as such?

I do think you need some female villains. I can go through your list again, figure out which words are masculine, which feminine, and which neuter, to help you make your choices that way.

The Animae do team up whenever necessary, but they are kind of spread out among the countryside. Euroa simply means "east" so Pacis guards the eastern lands. Orbis Terrae is the name of the planet. In the RP so far, the other Animae are either sleeping or actually dead. However, their offices can be inherited, so if they ARE dead, that doesn't mean that eventually there won't be 7 again. I was thinking perhaps at the end of this story, we can see Candor becoming one?

you can post whenever you like! although I am still trying to poll the other two participants to see what they think of the plot so far.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm
Profile WWW

Gypsi-Rae wrote:
I do think you need some female villains. I can go through your list again, figure out which words are masculine, which feminine, and which neuter, to help you make your choices that way.

That would be super helpful.

Gypsi-Rae wrote:
I was thinking perhaps at the end of this story, we can see Candor becoming one?

I had PM'ed Tim way back when and tossed the idea at him about the same thing with Velox. With very brief synopsis.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm

I am altering my last post a bit before the weekend. Hope we can get this going again.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 am

I like the way the story is going so far, though i may have to edit my last post as it was trying to tie in Chewy's character (sorry again for my slow posts).
But I like the atmosphere, the violence and language are at a tasteful yet still entertaining level, and you're all better writers than me. So i'm fine

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:38 am
Profile WWW

I felt that I may have rushed the story line in the inn, to get chewy's character more involved and not have an unnecessarily long post, but since half of it is gone, I am going to "repair" the existing one.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 am
Lady Sloth

yes someone post so that I can post again ~

I've been working nonstop on a new project recently so I've been really busy. but I'm aiming for publication this time! yeah!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 am
Profile WWW

yeah, this is my fault, sorry. I won't bother making excuses; I'll get something good up as soon as I can.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 am

Oh cool. I really hope that goes well Gyp!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 am
Profile WWW

Gypsi-Rae wrote:
yes someone post so that I can post again ~

I've been working nonstop on a new project recently so I've been really busy. but I'm aiming for publication this time! yeah!

I know it will be great, and look forward to reading it.

EDIT: Crap, I lost my sheet keeping track of who's who and where, and what monster they are.
EDIT EDIT: Found it kinda. Think I got it now. A lot of the post is the same, please read my changes, I am itching for a fight.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3