Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Adservatae Animae OOC & Character thread 

I am fine with this. I usually try to proofread my posts but I miss things all too often, so it's bothersome I wouldn't mind another set of eyes that can change it.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Worldbuilding time:

Trying to develop some background for Orbis Terrae.

I've decided there are 7 guardian spirits. Of these, a majority are female (so, at least 4 of the 7 are female at any given time); ergo they are called "adservatae animae," the feminine plural, rather than "adservati animi," which would be the masculine plural. An individual male one is "adservatus animus" just as an individual female one is "adservata anima."

The adservatae animae are all immortal, spiritual beings with partially physical bodies, and select physical needs. They all appear as feral animals with unusual colorations or aspects to their anatomy. They change identity over the years: Curatrix Pacis started out as a human girl, gained shapeshifting powers, helped save the world in her time, then took on the mantle of a guardian to relieve one that had died/passed on to another plane of existence.

Here is a list of the guardian spirits that were when Pacis first became one herself:

1. a lioness -- protector of peace (Curatrix Pacis)
2. a she-wolf -- protector of virtue (Curatrix Virtutis)
3. a horse -- protector of might (Curatrix Vis)
4. a hare -- protector of humility (Curatrix Humilitatis)
5. a dove -- protector of beauty (Curator Beatae)
6. a rat -- protector of truth (Curatrix Veritatis)
7. a hound -- protector of friendship (Curator Amicitiae)

the reason I pick these animals is that they feature prominently in the book of Kells, which is where I got my fursona (and my tattoo!) from. I intend to get the wolf as my second tattoo (to cover some scars on my ribcage). The wolf is a similar blue-and-green coloring, like the lioness, and has a point on the end of her tail. Will post a picture when I get it (probably in March of next year?).

I'll keep thinking about this. For the RP, of course, if someone wants to play a guardian spirit that is an animal NOT on the list, you're most certainly welcome to it. Like I said, the identities and physical forms of the adservatae animae change over time.

They are all equal in rank and station, altho' Curator Beatae is the oldest and sort of unofficial leader, were they to have one.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Gyp.
I was thinking, when I get consistent internet (later this week), that maybe I could join?
My character would be called Tuurngaq, and would be a spirit guide and not a guardian.
This character would be an arctic fox. I am borrowing the concept from a story I am writing, and, of course, Inuit culture.
This animal would guide and help the a living soul through life, rather than through death like Editus Candor.
What do you think?
How could I work this character into the story?
Text me, if you would; I'm levaing the intornet shortly.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lady Sloth

Absolutely. Text you I have!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

haha so apparently I forgot that in the 2nd declinsion masculine, the vocative case is different from the nominative case.

Just went thru and changed some Latin in all my posts and one of Tom's. sorry about that. "Corvus carissimus" means "most dear raven," but if you're talking TO said Raven, it would be "[O] Corve carissime"

the end

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

Gypsi-Rae wrote:
haha so apparently I forgot that in the 2nd declinsion masculine, the vocative case is different from the nominative case.

Just went thru and changed some Latin in all my posts and one of Tom's. sorry about that. "Corvus carissimus" means "most dear raven," but if you're talking TO said Raven, it would be "[O] Corve carissime"

the end

yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who has any idea what you're talking about :D

-G.K. Chesterton

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 pm
Lady Sloth

people, go post ~~

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Gypsi-Rae wrote:
people, go post ~~

okay.

-G.K. Chesterton

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm
Lady Sloth

Yay!

Side note: Pacis' pet names for people only make sense when she is talking *to* them (it's the only way the vocative case works in Latin). When she's talking *about* them, she'll use their proper names.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile WWW

where did you study latin, btw?

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 pm
Lady Sloth

Franciscan University. I had a classical Latin minor.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am
Profile WWW

Was having some difficulty uploading this from my tablet.
Still need to finish it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Phyreman wrote:
Was having some difficulty uploading this from my tablet.
Still need to finish it.

I approve of this.

-G.K. Chesterton

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 pm

sorry about the delay. Its been finals week, and I've got family home. Will try and sit down and get it typed out soon.

-G.K. Chesterton

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:02 pm
Lady Sloth

Hey, no bother. I'll probably go tonight or tomorrow,. Of course christmas is busy for people! I can only do art for christmas presents now till like new years (some will be late ^^;)

Hopefully it picks up in jan. And hopefully salem will join! I'm really excited about what he's texted me so far

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

Any problem with writing parts for NPCs? Might help the story along if "regular people" start performing some actions within the story-line.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Phyreman wrote:
Any problem with writing parts for NPCs? Might help the story along if "regular people" start performing some actions within the story-line.

I think NPC's are largely fair game. Do what you have to do.

I'm enjoying your character, by the way. He's pleasantly compelling.

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 pm
Lady Sloth

Sure, npcs are fair game.

Will try to rustle up a post tomorrow.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW

Great! My Character is pretty POed at your characters, and I've been working hard on a scene in its lair, and for some reason, I can't make it short.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:11 pm
Lady Sloth

I kind of prefer for the characters to be either feral animals (spirit guides, psychopomps, familiars, adservatae animae), human beings, or (in select cases) those who can transform between the two extremes, like Tim's character. My world doesn't really have anthropomorphic animals in it, so your character wouldn't quite fit unless you put her in a feral form, or made her some kind of werewolfish creature?

So, in this world, the Greek/Roman gods are real but distant, and there are multiple layers of heaven and hell. If you want to add your Christian beliefs to the story, Christian Heaven is the top layer of heaven and Christian Hell is the bottom layer of hell: the only permanent resting places for souls, whereas souls can travel between the other realms (some more easily than others). You are allowed to draw from any myths you like--Celtic, Japanese, Native American, Sámi, Icelandic, you name it--for deities, demons, magical creatures, or mystical forces. Again, if you want to put Christianity in, there was no Jesus-figure in this story yet (imagine Narnia but *before* Aslan died on the stone table). There is a small cult-sized religion that worships "the Sacrificed" or "the Highest Priest" but they are small and scattered. I don't know the details of it because my friend Nan who's world-building with me hasn't helped me with it yet.

The story seems to have taken a "typical fantasy world" bent, so. Back when Pacis was still human, the world was just like ours: cities, skyscrapers, computers, internet, you name it. However, battles with the demonic, and several barely-averted apocalypses sort of made society revert back to a semi-medieval, agrarian society. A great deal of technology was lost, as well as access to fossil fuels with which to power cars, factories, make plastic... Pacis has been sleeping a thousand years this time, but I think it took several thousand for the regression back away from technology and globalization to happen.

Pacis is one of seven adservatae animae. When she was first inducted into the group, after the death of the previous Curator Pacis, they were (as I wrote above)

- a male dove: Protector of Beauty/Goodness (beatae in Latin; it has many meanings)
- a male hound: Protector of Friendship
- a mare: Protector of Strength/Power
- a female rat: Protector of Truth
- a female hare: Protector of Humility
- a she-wolf: Protector of Virtue
- a lioness: Protector of Peace

They exist both physically and in all spiritual realms. They fight evil wherever it manifests and threatens the world or their people. They tend to watch over specific earthly realms (Pacis being given the eastern land of Euroa) but they team up as necessary, with each other and with other people with helpful abilities, like wizards and spirit animals etc etc. They don't die of disease or old age, but they can die--killed by what they fight against. Therefore, just as the current Curatrix Pacis took over for the late Curator Pacis, they change faces and species over time, and are recruited from mortal or semi-mortal beings as needed.

Periodically, when the world is largely at peace, the adservatae animae go into a type of hibernation, so that they can maintain and recharge their powers over vast lengths of time. It's part of how they can stay alive and well so long. Pacis has been asleep for a long time and doesn't know if any of her old adservatae animae friends are still alive, or where they are. she's the only one that woke up--the rest hide "behind the gate," but she's not sure which gate it is.

Devorans Animorum is an enemy she's faced before. It wreaked horrible destruction and probably killed people close to her. It devours souls: the souls are not lost *forever* (souls cannot typically be lost forever) but they can be lost to the animae. Just as sometimes the innocent suffer very much on earth, they can suffer very much in the "afterlife" which actually has multiple stages before the final, ultimate resting place is reached.

I'm just kind of rambling here. Did you have any further questions?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next