Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
feral forest -- Amazon 
Lady Sloth

Here I'm trying to revive what has been a semi-popular RP throughout the years. This time, it's set specifically in the deep Amazon--right next to the river. The habitat of my fursona X3. If your character is not from the Amazon--which is pretty much all of your fursonas, haha--then the fun part is trying to figure out why you end up in the Amazon in the first place!

Feral fursonas or humans only; no anthros please. You can be an unusual size, a hybrid, or an unusual color if you want, though!

--

Tica awoke with the sun, its light meandering down through the rainforest canopy onto her, warming her fur with its soft green glow. She was nestled in the branches of a large, umbrella-shaped crecopia tree, which hung over the Amazon, upriver from a thick pocket of mangroves. The air was filled with sound: the cries of birds overhead, toucans in the branches, parrots and eagles soaring above the canopy; the croaks of multicolored frogs and fat, mud-dwelling toads; the hisses and clicks and squeaks of plentiful insects; splashes and gurgles from the waters as fish and dolphins swam about. Tica always kept some part of her subconscious trained on the conversations of the birds and monkeys overhead, ever listening for the warning cry of "Eagle!"--since eagles had a tendency to eat birds and monkeys and--yes--sloths like Tica.

She yawned and scratched herself with her two long forepaw claws, smacking her lips and smiling. She loved her little home--her little tree, here in the middle of the forest. Her tapir friends would come by from time to time, rooting around for food on the forest floor. There was a three-toed sloth named Milton a few trees over, who sometimes came over for breakfast, when he felt like taking a whole day just to come over. There were never any reports of jaguars around, and even the ever-present eagles hardly came so far down through the canopy. Things were good.

She could smell some fruit over in a neighboring tree, and her grumbling tummy told her to head for it. She slowly roused herself from her little nest, reaching out for a nearby branch and pulling herself to it, navigating hand-over-hand and upside-down through the branches. She was still a little sleepy, though, and accidentally put all her weight on a branch that couldn't take it--with a resounding CRACK and a loud SPLASH Tica found herself in the river, being towed downstream by a strong undercurrent. Luckily, Tica was a strong swimmer. She coughed and sputtered when her head broke the surface, dog-paddling on her belly to keep her head above water. The current was a lot stronger than usual, no doubt from the heavy rains over the past few days causing the river to swell above its banks and flood the forest floor. She was well past the mangroves that were familiar to her--her friend Joao, a tapir, taking her there on his back sometimes--before she managed to grab onto a mangrove root and pull herself to the shore.

Dripping wet and a little cold, Tica looks pretty miserable as she stares up into the trees around her, completely lost.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

I'm always good for an rp. Couldn't think of a good excuse to transpose a raven to another continent that didn't feel too deus ex machina-ish. Fortunately my ornithophilia and access to wikipedia means I can be flexible =P
----------------------

Stupid Harpy Eagles, with their stupid head crests and their stupid grey feathers. Just because they're the biggest bird on the block and they think they can fly on in and take someone's territory. Make me look stupid in front of Diana. I'd have fought him if it wasn't for his buddies.

Rafael was having a bad day. Definitely one of his worst. First, he can't find anything to eat, which means he's hungry, which means hunger pains. He finally finds something, only for his girlfriend Diana the Black Hawk-Eagle to get to it first. Well...not really his girlfriend, but she's cute, and they've talked before, and shared a kill once so....But that's not important. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, those stupid harpy eagles fly in and chase them off. Now he was homeless, hungry, and bitter.

This particularly embittered bird, who drifted quietly over the treetops ruminating on his misfortune, was an Ornate Hawk-Eagle. A feared predator of the forest, or at least so he like to imagine himself. He wasn't very large, only about two feet long from beak to tail feather and weighing not much more than a kilogram, which limited what he could prey on. His mom had told him they eat other birds, but he was never very good at that. Besides, there was so many rats where he'd roosted, and carrion is meat too, right?

Not that it mattered now. He needed to find a new home, but first a meal. Hard to find a place to live on an empty stomach. What if he traveled? He could wander around, sleep where he grew tired, eat what he could catch and meet the nice raptor girls that must be out there....

No. He needs to focus. A hawk on the hunt must always be alert. His mom had told him that many times. If but a moment he is distracted he could... now what is that? Is that...Rafael's head crest rises in excitement. A sloth! Tired and not paying attention, ripe for...oh, but he's never killed anything near that big. Do Hawk-Eagles even hunt sloth? It could be dangerous...The eagles hunt sloths though. That's all they ever talked about. If they can do it, surely he'd be up to the task. That'd show them. Hunting sloth isn't so special after all.

emboldened by his puerile desire to one-up those stupid eagles, Rafael began circling, building up speed as he did. He'd come in fast, taking it from behind. It'd be so fast, the sloth wouldn't even see it coming. Yeah...

Reaching the peak of his loop, Rafael crested momentarily before diving, accelerating quickly. He zeroed in on the soggy, confused sloth, talons outstretched to perform the kill maneuver and....oh...sloth's are a lot bigger up close and...are those claws?!?

I can't do thisI can't do thisI can't do thisI can't do this!!!

Chickening out at the last second, Rafael stretched his wings wide to decelerate, angling him away from his no-longer-prey. He managed to slow his descent considerably, but he was moving far too fast to regain flight or even what might be construed as a structured landing. With a distinctly audible SPLAT he came to a stop besides the sloth, imbedded in the soft mud to her right, his wings splayed wide and his face buried in the ground, muffling his pained "Owww....."

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 am

Hehe, I'll join in the fun I guess. :3
--------------------------------------------------

"Mommy, mommy, where'd Mr. Fluffykins go? I wanna play with him!"
Mrs. Worthington breathed an exasperated sigh at her little son's constant rattling about their cat. "I'm sure he's on the plane here somewhere, dear, go look for him." She motioned for one of their servants to assist the child. "I never thought a simple safari could be so annoying." Mr. Worthington waited for his little boy to leave the room, before finally speaking up, in a low voice. "I've already called the pet store back in town. Don't worry, we'll have another cat that looks just like our little Fluffykins when we get back." Noting his wife's shocked look, he added "Er, well, you see, when we were packing up the camp...I think...well, I know, actually...I kind of forgot to bring him with us."
"I can't find him anywhere mommy!" said the boy, bursting back into the private jet's main cabin. "Oh don't worry, he must be...um...in the cargo hold, safe and sound!"

Mr. Fluffykins, or Johnny, as he was sure was his first name (he wasn't sure why the humans never used it), was actually not feeling safe and sound. "Oh this is bad, this is bad, this is bad, this is bad..." he kept saying to himself. Here he was, in the middle of some sort of weird looking back yard, trapped in a cage. Fortunately, he knew how to work his way out of the cage door - he'd done it several times before - but he wasn't sure he wanted to. He sat there for almost two hours, occasionally grooming the short black fur on his back, or using his little white paws and muzzle to play with a piece of grass or something that had found its way into the cage. After a small harmless looking bug worked its way inside, Johnny screamed for his life and in a dazzling feat of feline agility, slammed into the cage door with enough force to do nothing at all except give him a splitting headache. In a mad panic he worked his magic on the cage door and got out right before the whatever-it-was managed to jump onto his soft white underbelly.

He had no idea where he was, but he also had no idea what that bug was, so he decided to absolutely run for his dear life and ducked into a nearby grove of trees, looking around nervously and catching his breath. Once he saw the clawed monkey thing and the massive bird nearby, he jumped into the nearest leaf pile and hoped they didn't see him, despite the fact that he was trembling uncontrollably and the element of camouflage was more or less laughing at him. And on top of all that his stomach was growling.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 pm
Lady Sloth

Confused as she was, it took a while for Tica's brain to register the cries of "hawk! hawk!" circulating in the branches fair overhead. The chattering was mostly small birds and it was difficult to hear them from this range, with waterlogged ears. She had enough time to duck and put her clawed hands over her head--bracing for impact. But the hawk seemed to swerve at the last second, merely brushing her head with his tailfeathers, and landed with a loud SPLAT in the mud near her.

Tica had never heard of a clumsy hawk. If this was the typical behavior of this particular bird, he should have died long before reaching adulthood. Tica's instincts all screamed at her to get back into the water, even though it would whisk her further downstream into unknown territory. Swimming in the swift-moving waters, she could escape. Or if she could manage to get into the trees somehow, she could summon the speed--sloths can be quick when necessary--to press on into the thicker canopy, where birds of prey would have difficulty maneuvering. But he looked like he might be hurt. He could have hurt her, but he didn't. She wasn't sure what to do.

Slowly, Tica approached the twitching bird, and, starting with his head, unstuck him from the mud and lifted him up. It would take him a bit of preening before he would be able to fly again, his feathers now heavily caked with grime. She wiped the mud off his beak with the soft, pink palm of one of her hands, keeping her claws clear of his face. He was breathing. That was good. Or--wait, actually, it might not be...

"Pardon me, but..." she started, still holding the bird up and bracing him against her 9 kilo frame. "...did you just try to eat me?"

[note: Tica did not notice Koshka yet, being so preoccupied with the hawk and having poor hearing/eyesight]

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:45 pm
Profile WWW

"Uh..."

While the landing had not knocked him unconscious, it had stunned him briefly, which led him to permit the sloth to pick him up unchallenged. Gradually, his senses returned, and he blinked to clear his vision.

"...did you just try to eat me?"

The sloth was talking to him. Sloth. He'd just tried to kill it but...was he floating? His wings weren't working. Perhaps he was caught on a tree bra--- arm. That's an arm. He was being held up by an arm...

"GAAAA- ow..."

Briefly, Rafael flailed in panic at the revelation that he was being held by another creature, only to terminate immediately when he realized just how painful flailing proved to be. Everything ached, and certainly wasn't conducive to flailing. Some stuff hurt more than others, and he would have to work that out later, but for now he was effectively trapped.

A modicum of clarity returned to him, and he recalled that sloths were folivores, as well as being generally fairly docile. Plus this one didn't seems angry or upset, more like...confused. The feeling of danger gradually subsided, only to be replaced with a sense of powerlessness and embarrassment.

"...yeah..." He replied at last, turning his head away in shame, as if he was being scolded by an elder, his crest flat against his head.

"I haven't eaten all day, and I needed to find something and I never hunt anything as big as you, but the eagles do and I figured if they could do it I could do it, but then I realized how big you were, and there was no way I was gonna be able to do it, so I tried to stop, but i was moving to fast and-"

Rafael rambled on, not quite sure why, exactly, he felt obliged to tell the sloth much of anything, but he did anyways. As he did, his head wandered back and forth, never quite meeting the sloth's gaze. As he did, his keen hawk eyes traced the treeline behind the sloth, scanning the foliage for no particular...

He stopped, his eyes fixed on a point in the forest, his chattering ending as well. A pair of black points stared back at him, meeting his gaze. Gradually, the figure to whom the black points were owned became clearer. It looked different than what he had expected: a black body with a white muzzle, with bits of white on its paws. Not quite as large either. There was no question, in Rafael's mind, what it was though, and that sense of dread that he'd felt initially came creeping back.

"....Ocelot."

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 am

Johnny backed into the brush pile until his rear end bumped into a tree and he couldn't move back any farther -- the huge bird had seen him. Normally he'd chase it, but he had a strict policy of being deathly afraid of anything besides humans that was bigger than he was. He'd heard it say something - sounded like ocelot - which he guessed was the word in the hawk's language for "food".

"Please...d-don't eat me..." he mewed pathetically.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:18 am
Lady Sloth

The hawk struggled for a second, then seemed to recoil in pain and stay reasonably still. He admitted to trying to eat Tica, but he rambled on and on as if trying to explain himself. She couldn't tell if he was sorry he had tried, or if he was just scared of her claws. While he spoke, she settled him slowly onto his own two feet, but kept her arms around him, afraid he might attack her again when his senses fully returned to him. Then, he stiffened, and said, "...Ocelot."

Tica stiffened, too. As a sloth, her primary protection was going unseen. Moving slowly, blending in with the foliage, staying out of harm's way. There was a special kind of algae that grew in the furs on her back and turned her a greenish color, for better blending in. If she were in her tree and she heard the toucans and parrots shouting "ocelot!", she would go to the knot of branches that made up her bed and lie very still until the danger passed. She was fairly hard to reach there, and jaguars and ocelots, as well as harpy eagles, never saw her. She wished she was in her tree now. Things were safer there. Calm. Why had she been so stupid as to fall in the river?!

She turned her head very slowly to look at the ocelot, fear rising within her. But the cat backed up into a tree, seemingly more afraid of them than they were of it. "Please... d-don't eat me..."

It wasn't colored like an ocelot. They were spotted, blending into the dappled light of the rainforest, hard to see or hear until they were very close. This creature had bright white patches of fur, and it was half the size of an ocelot. Whatever it was, it didn't belong.

"NO ONE IS GOING TO EAT ANYONE TODAY." Tica said in the most authoritative voice she could muster. She was the biggest creature here, and she did know how to use her claws when necessary. She'd killed an anaconda once, when it tried to slither into her bed. ...A pretty small one, but still.

"We are going to introduce ourselves and be nice to each other. My name is Tica. I'm lost. Who are you?"

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW

"My...ah....my name is Rafael, but everyone just calls me Rafi and...ah...I'm homeless."

Tica's exclamation had caught him by surprise, and he'd reacted to her domineering tone by straightening up and paying attention. As soon as he finished, he looked at the not-ocelot, his eyes screaming for it to answer to fill the awkward silence.

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Johnny nervously shuffled out of his hiding spot seeing as he'd been discovered and there wasn't any point in hiding anymore. "I'm...Johnny. Johnny Fluffykins...just call me Johnny though...I'm lost too."
Now that his initial panic had begun to subside (although it was still there), he gave a disgusted look to his paws, which had squished around quite a bit in the mud and had lost their nice color.

Noticing his stomach growling again, he added "I am kinda hungry though...there wouldn't happen to be any canned foods around here? Or even...just some milk?"

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm
Lady Sloth

"kan ... d...?"

Tica frowned. She had never heard of kand food before. And milk was only something babies drank, before they learned to talk.

"There's leaves. And fruit. And bugs. But no kand." Tica stopped for a second. Ocelots ate meat. Perhaps this creature did, as well. "And... fishes in the river. Fishes don't talk. I suppose you can eat them."

She gave Rafael a nervous look. "Rafi. Homeless. I am homeless too: I have lost my home. It is upstream, but I do not know how far. I must find it again."

She looked back and forth from the cat to the hawk. They were predatory species. Perhaps she would not be safe if they got too hungry. She would help them catch fish. By holding on to the mangrove roots, she could swim in the river without getting caught in the current again. If she was very still, and waited for long enough, the fish would swim right up to her, and she could spear them. She did not make a habit of killing things, but fish, like insects, did not talk, so perhaps it was okay.

"But first, we will catch fish," she said, and waded back into the amazonian waters.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 am
Profile WWW

Fish...what was a fish again...oh yeah, those little things that swim around in Jimmy's bowl...sometimes it says 'fish' on my food cans...
Johnny decided that this was a good enough idea for the moment although he had no idea how to catch a fish. Maybe it was just like chasing his mouse toy?
Since he knew fish could swim, he was smart enough to figure out that they were all probably in that river nearby.

He edged close to it, and looked in. He felt pretty thirsty too, but he'd never had anything but milk, so he wasn't sure he should drink this. Still, he decided he might just have to make do with what was available, and took a few laps with his tongue at the water. "Hey, this water stuff's not bad...doesn't upset my stomach like milk does, either." He never really had quite figured out why Mrs. Worthington never gave him anything but milk despite the fact that it wrecked his digestive system on a near constant basis.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 pm

"hehe...Fluffykins."

Rafi gave a slight smirk after hearing the cat's name. He'd already marked it as a non-threat. It struck him more as a juvenile, not something that could fend for itself. Perhaps his parents had abandoned him for looking different? He had to admit he kinda felt bad for the little guy...

Barumble...

Right. Starving. One problem at a time. Tica the Sloth seemed willing to help, and he had to be honest and admit to himself he really respected that. She could've walked off and left them to their own miseries, especially after he'd nearly attacked her. Well, for the moment it looked like he was dependent on her for food, so the best course was to make one self indispensable.

Rafi followed Tica into the water, but not as far, merely deep enough to begin washing the dirt and mud from his feathers. As he cleaned himself, he addressed the sloth.

"Alright...Tica, was it? I'll make you a deal. You've done me a favor here, so I'll do you one in kind. In exchange for feeding me and helping me get back on my wings, I'll help you find your way home. Alright?"

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 pm
Lady Sloth

[sorry for my long absence]

The strange ocelot-like creature came and drank from the river as Tica waded in. She doubted he would be much help in fish-catching, judging from his behavior, but she tried not to make too many assumptions. Perhaps his feline instincts would kick in and aid him. More observation was needed before she could understand this creature. She was not afraid of him anymore, though, now that she could clearly see her advantages of size and familiarity with the jungle. The bird, however, still frightened her somewhat.

Rafael was cleansing himself in the river. He began to speak. It took her a while to turn around and begin listening. "...You've done me a favor here, so I'll do you one in kind. In exchange for feeding me and helping me get back on my wings, I'll help you find your way home. All right?"

Tica thought about her tree. The hawk would be able to fly upriver, to find the branch that had broken and dropped her into the river. He could tell her where it was--even keep an eye out for predators as she made her way back there. "...okay," she agreed. "But what about Johnny...? Perhaps we should also help him find his home?"

The two predators looked at her with hungry eyes. She remembered that she was supposed to be fishing. Holding a mangrove root firmly with one hand and one foot, she snaked her left hand into a tangle of smaller roots and left it there, staying still as only a sloth can. The predators seemed puzzled at her motionlessness. After quite a bit of waiting, she felt scales brushing against her soft, pink palm. It had whiskers. Perhaps it was a candiru--a kind of bloodsucking catfish. She was quick to grasp it with her curled hand, before it could bite her, and throw it from the water onto the shore, where it flopped about next to Johnny Fluffykins.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

[not a problem. ^v^]

"KIYAAAAH!"

The sight of the fish excited Rafi, and he leaped from the water in pursuit of the flopping catfish, offering his signature battle cry as he did. Fish were, generally speaking, tricky prey. The water distorted their position and made it difficult to catch correctly, getting out of the water and not hurting your self on the dive in notwithstanding. If you could get it on ground though, they were pretty defenseless, so long as you killed it before it could flop back in the water.

While his wet wings made his ground movement a bit awkward, he still made it to the grounded fish before it could reach water and began hacking at it mercilessly with his beak and talons. It was unsightly affair, Full of soft slapping noises of the fish accompanied by the brutal jabbing and stabbing of the hawk's weaponry. But after a few grisly seconds, he succeeded in killing the creature, leaving it splayed out in front of Johnny, Rafi on the far side, panting victoriously. His one sided fight concluded, the hawk dug into the fish's flank, tearing loose a long strip of flesh, and gulping it down hungrily, leaving a bit of leftovers dangling from his beak.

"Hey...Johnny, was it? You gonna get in on this action?"

-G.K. Chesterton

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:39 pm

"My...home?"
Curiously enough, he'd never much thought of the Worthington's house as his home. The only people who ever paid him any attention at all were the maid who fed and bathed him and little Jimmy, who only ever hit him and pulled on his tail, and then cried and got him in trouble when he scratched back. Come to think of it, the only things he really missed were his mouse toy and his warm bed.

The only thing Johnny could really do after seeing the hawk brutalize the fish that had been suddenly thrown in front of him was gawk in horror. He'd never seen anything so violently killed before...although he eventually began to stomach the idea that this was necessary for a carnivore like him to survive. "You gonna get in on this action?" asked Rafael.

"I, er..." He looked around nervously. He had no idea how to catch a fish. But at the same time he didn't want to be a burden to his newfound...allies? He wasn't quite sure they were friends yet.
He realized that he was going to have to come face to face and grapple with his most feared enemy - water. It would act all nice and let you drink it, and the next minute it would soak you in its chilling grasp of fear and death.
He stared deeply into the water. It stared right back at him, itching for a fight, and he was pretty sure he saw a wicked grin come across its face.
Slowly, veeeeerryyy slooooowwwly, he dipped one paw into the water, testing it, to see how it would react. He jerked his paw back quickly to make sure it didn't grab him when his guard was down. It had no reaction; it simply continued to threaten and jeer at him.
He repeated this movement a few times, and with the same result, he reached out for the nearest fish-shaped shadow, and --
SPLASH!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:57 pm
Lady Sloth

Tica looked away as the predators eviscerated the candiru. She had no special love for fish, but it was still disgusting to eat them. Why couldn't these guys eat fruit and leaves like civilized people? Oh well. As long as they were full, they wouldn't turn on her, so that was good. But some part of her hoped that perhaps they would begin to see her as a friend.

She was close to catching another candiru when Johnny leaped into the river, splashing water all over her. Suddenly, her claws began to tingle. That feeling was unmistakable...

"...! Electric eel!"

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

An iguana jerked his head at the sound of the sloth's cry. This wasn't going to end well.

"Get out of there!" Iggz tried to get her attention from his perch on a fallen tree, but the little lizard's voice didn't carry. He didn't know Johnny, but like the kitty he too had been a pet. Judging by how the moon had looked the night before, Iggz guessed he had been in his new home for 2 months now. He hadn't made any friends yet, so what better time to start?

The iguana started climbing down from the log and made his way to the bank of the river.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 am
Profile WWW

Johnny hadn't actually meant to jump in the river - in fact, he was pretty sure the evil water had somehow dragged him in against his will, despite the fact that he was reaching for a fish and not paying attention to what the rest of his feet were doing.

He splashed around for a good bit, screaming and meowling pitifully, before he realized that the part of the river he'd fallen into was rather shallow compared to the rest of it and that by panicking and splashing he'd almost completely coated himself in watery mud.

Without warning he heard somebody scream "Electric eel!" He wasn't entirely sure what an eel was - he thought they were like snakes, but wasn't sure. Snakes, he could handle. He used to chase them around his back yard and catch them, which was the only thing he could think of that the Worthingtons actually praised him for. But he didn't think he'd be much help against snakes with all that vicious water on their side. Plus, "electric" didn't sound very nice. He supposed the brave thing to do would be to stand on the river bank, arch his back, and hiss at the snake-shaped shadow in the water.

((I don't think the river is actually that forceful but I'm trying to personify it as evil because that's how Johnny sees it; he's deathly afraid of water in almost any form, at least right now. Also he hasn't seen Iggz yet because he's still pretty panicked :P))

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Rafi had intended to share the fish with Johnny as an act of solidarity, but the cat seemed more interested in the river. Either he didn't get the hint or was one of those "I'll catch me own meals" types. Eh, to each his own, he figured.

His meal was interrupted seconds later by the sound of something crashing in the water, and Tica crying "Electric eel!" behind him. Putting two and two together, he assume it must have been the sloth who had fallen in. He was surprised to find it wasn't the sloth, but the cat who had stumbled clumsily into the water. Watching the feline flail in desperation and panic proved wonderful entertainment, at least until he realized the sloth's warning was real; there really was an electric eel in the water, and it seemed all to interested in Johnny. Still, for the time being the cat had made it safely to the river bank, now accompanied by a...lizard? When did he show up? Eh, not important. At least no one was in any danger, right?

Well, he thought so, at least until the branch holding Tica over the water snapped loudly, sending both plummeting downwards.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]