Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Temporary FFC Gaming Server 

Hey Fuzzbutts,

I've been toying with the idea of creating a private server for FFC in a number of different multiplayer games.
Now because I don't have a designated server or wish to pay for one, these sessions would likely be short term (maybe up and running week at a time).

If interested, please give input as to the game you would like to play in an FFC multiplayer setting.
These games may be limited to Multiplayer, PvE cooperative rather than PvP, but I'm willing to bend a little on game preferences given enough interest.

So far the games I am considering:
Unturned with the difficulty maxed (the minecraft graphics, FPS, zombie survival) FREE TO PLAY
Terraria 2-10$ On Steam
Minecraft but only with very customized PvE settings to make it very challenging survival wise ~25$

Boring Disclaimer due to KingFriday's experience: This would not be a community owned entity; I would have the final say to start and stop my participation at any time. I will try to work with people in terms of map files if they wished, but recognize that any work you do on this server may not be saved. Participation would also be a privilege, not a right. Any sort of misconduct would easily result in suspension or expulsion from this server.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 am
Profile WWW

realistically speaking, how much time would be needed to set up a server?

-G.K. Chesterton

Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Almost no time at all especially with few mods and without struggling with the map. But I guess these options would be for dedicated server access, so one that's on all week for whoever enter to hop on with a friend or whatever

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

I know I said this many times but how about setting up a Trackmania Nations server :D?

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 pm
Profile WWW

So that's a racing game, correct?

My only issue with that (and the same goes for FPS games like TF2 or L4D2, etc.) is that you would need everybody online at more or less the same time, which would be a similar commitment to the FFC game night idea. The game nights are a problem not because we don't have a server on which to host them, but because it takes a lot of work every time to get people involved and online at the same time.

The benefit of open world / survival / or crafting type games is that you can still sort of interact with everyone even if you are not online at the same time; you can still impact other players with what you create. These games are also fun with as little as 2 or 3 people playing at once.

I don't own Trackmania (oh cool it's free), but with enough interest in that or other games, it's fairly easy to hop on and create a temporary server to host us for a few hours. This original idea is more for a 24 / 7 server

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't played Minecraft in super forever but I might give it another go if this kicks off (though if it's truly challenging I probably won't ever get much more than a lump of coal or two :P )

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm
Site Administrator

I wouldn't mind messing around with y'all!

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

I also have gone a long time since i tried MC. My only fear with hosting a modded server is that everyone may need to independently install the used mods, which may cause much IT sessions of anger That being said I will still do it, Minecraft has the benefit of popularity: many already have it and it could turn into a popular thing in this community, in which case, given the demand, I might look into means of making this a full time thing

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 pm
Profile WWW

Well, it doesn't have to be a modded server. Vanilla servers work just the same, only without the extra functions that mods give.
And really, who needs mods anyway? :P

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:42 am
Profile WWW

If I host a mine craft server it's going to be hard as ducks, though. Like hopefully even ducks will kill you

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:14 am
Profile WWW

xD Sounds terrifying! :P

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Just to bump this idea again, I'm toying with the idea of either a:
-dedicated server (I've made some progress with the dedicated server idea research, it seems I could potentially create a really difficult survival minecraft world if there is interest.)
-or-
-occasional gaming nights organized by me featuring an agreed upon game each event (not like the last game night setting where everyone needed to own and agree upon the game every time.)

What I need from you: If you are interested in playing a game with FFC, enough that you would be willing to plan around or prioritize attending a game night of it, post the game on this thread, even or especially if it's an idea I've already mentioned here.
I will gauge interest and try to reach a conclusion based off of answers so if you are interested please post.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I've got access to Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Minecraft, Terraria, and Rise of Nations. Possibly-not-as-good-for-this choices include Ace of Spades, League of Legends, and Realm of the Mad God. Plus anything that could be free/cheap I'd consider!

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

I would play TF2 prophunt or Monaco!

I'm usually at home weeknights until bedtime (10pm) and unavailable on Friday/Saturday night.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

Alright the interest in this seems hesitant at best, which is completely fine and a bit predictable anyway. So at the moment I think my decision is to experiment with this at my pace and aim of interest.

Which means I'll likely go ahead and try to build a playable minecraft dedicated server, which may change or be very short lived depending on interest.

I may also try to host game events now and then based off of the games FFC seems able and willing to play. These may be listed on new threads or this one so keep an eye out.

And if you are reading all this late, feel free to respond to this or any prior posts, making your opinion known increases the odds that any of this will appeal to you in the future (thank you to everyone who has responded already)

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I think that sounds great to me!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:05 am
Profile WWW

I'm game for a Minecraft server at some point! I actually have a server sitting under my bed that I want to finish setting up to allow friends to play whenever they would like.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Now Until I Get Bored or My Computer Catches Fire!
Temporary FFC Minecraft Server!

Server Address: 71.162.246.178:25564
Uses latest minecraft version (1.11.2)

Information:
Hardest Difficulty, but not hardcore mode
No PvP, Not Creative Mode
The rest is vanilla so you can connect with no other downloads

Rules and Terms:
No Griefing, but no one is obligated to be helpful or play the same way / competition is allowed
Be civil, keep a demeanor that we hold on the forums, skype / telegram
This server is a privilege, not a right, and exists outside the forum. I withhold the ability to:
- ban anyone by my own judgement.
- stop this server at any time (I'll try to save map info and seeds, but I'm a bit new at this so bare with me)

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

So far Town of Salem and Quiplash have been fairly successful games for game nights. :3 Any other suggestions anyone has?

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

How did I miss this? Is that server still going, Tabs?
And I really need to get proper internet here so I don't need to keep driving to the library to play games.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next