Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Possibly more aimed at Dutch speakers (you know who you are) 

Really short: Is a priesterfiets a thing?

(B.F. Westcott)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 am
Profile WWW

It's definitely a valid word "priest's bike", but I'm unsure as to whether it actually has a significant meaning...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 am

Tayi wrote:
It's definitely a valid word "priest's bike", but I'm unsure as to whether it actually has a significant meaning...

I have it in my head that it's an actual type of bike and I want one! Or I'm mistaken.

(B.F. Westcott)

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am
Profile WWW

A quick google later: Yes, it is a type of bike, although I'm not sure if it's made anymore. It is an elongated women's model bike. As women's bikes are also radically out of fashion: this is a bike where the frame is roughly U-shaped (the upper bar of the frame is lowered) so that it would not be in the way of the (long) dress of the rider (whether a woman or a priest).

Women's bikes also sometimes had oval saddles instead of the 'traditional' saddle shape, which would also be annoying with a dress. I only remember it from my mom's bike 30 years ago.

Another edit: found a picture, but it's really tiny: Image

(EDIT) I'm done editing now...

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:58 am
Site Administrator

Wait so what is this exactly?

Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:27 am
Profile WWW

This is a priest's bike (priesterfiets). It's an (apparently) old type of bike intended for use by priests, as they usually wore long dress-type clothing. It seems to be a slightly larger version of a women's bike.

It's specifically about the frame type. When wearing a long dress, the top bar of the frame is really inconvenient for biking; one would have to pull up the dress to miniskirt length to even be able to step onto the bike, which is annoying at the least and at the time was extremely inappropriate (we're talking about roughly 30 to 100 years ago.) To accomodate riding with long dresses, the top bar was bent downwards in some sort of U shape so that it was no longer in the way.

Those bikes were also easier to get on to because the leg that goes over the bike does not have to be swung across the rear. The lowered top bar makes it possible to just step over the frame in front of the saddle.

ImageImage
(damesfiets = women's bike, herenfiets = men's bike)

The main disadvantage of that frame type is that the construction is not inherently as sturdy as for men's bikes (the high top bar gives the frame a triangular shape, which is very stiff. Getting the same sturdiness with a lowered top bar is not as easy, although modern materials and techniques make that less of a problem.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]