Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Star Wars: Last Jedi discussion (WARNING! SPOILERS!) 

Let's talk some Star Wars! Fair warning, there will be spoilers in this thread, so if you haven't seen it yet and want to remain spoiler free, leave now!

So, my biggest take away is I love how they're pushing this idea that you don't need to be a Skywalker, a Solo, or anybody famous or otherwise "special" to be a great hero... or a great villain. I was not expecting Snoke to get offed in the middle of the second movie for instance! (That was a great scene by the way!) It was like the film creators were saying, "You know this guy who you thought was going to be the big bad throughout this trilogy? Yeah, he's nothing. He doesn't matter." It's like, the dark side doesn't care who you are. It'll use you to do terrible things, chew you up, then spit you out. On the other hand, I also loved the revelation that Rey's parents were nobody special. It emphasizes the fact that anyone can rise up and become great; anyone can become a hero. This point was further driven home by some of the, arguably, most heroic acts being performed by characters who were just introduced in this movie, such as Rose's sister bombing the dreadnought, and also Holdo's flippin' lightspeed kamikaze strike (which was probably my favorite special effect in the whole movie... the whole theater went dead silent when she suddenly ripped through the Empire ship like that, like "...Holy cow... that just happened!")

Second biggest takeaway... I want a crystal critter now! And I don't even care that I would probably get shards of glass in my hands whenever I tried to pet it! :lol:

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

I personally think that the Rey parents reveal was a fake-out. Kylo Ren probably lied to Rey to get her on the dark side, and it was probably a fake.

In other news, I'm soooooo confused. Like, who the heck is Luke?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Riley wrote:
I personally think that the Rey parents reveal was a fake-out. Kylo Ren probably lied to Rey to get her on the dark side, and it was probably a fake.

In other news, I'm soooooo confused. Like, who the heck is Luke?

I've heard some speculation that Kylo was lying about that, but I think it's true. Rey was the one who said her parents were "nobody." Kylo just confirmed it. It seemed more like she was finally admitting something she knew all along, but just didn't want to accept. At least, I really hope that's the case. Like I said, I like the message that you don't have to have some amazing bloodline to be a hero. You can be a "nobody," and yet still rise above your circumstances and do amazing things. Revealing later that "just kidding! You're actually related to this famous person!" would kind of cheapen that...

Also, how do you mean "who the heck is Luke"? Like... literally who is Luke Skywalker...?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

i tear up in handful of movies but this is literally the first movie to actually make me cry
specifically the seen where Luke and R2 are reunited
heck i'm tearing up again just thinking about it

(didn't help that i was already legitimately misty-eyed over that poor little scared porg watching Chewie attempt to eat a porg moments earlier haha)

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Quote:
Also, how do you mean "who the heck is Luke"? Like... literally who is Luke Skywalker...?

...Yes...

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 am

Riley wrote:
Quote:

...Yes...

Ah. Well, not sure how familiar you are with the original trilogy (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi). If you're not familiar and don't want to be spoiled, don't read on! But in a nutshell, Luke was basically the hero of those films. He was trained by Obi Wan Kenobe and Yoda, joined the Rebellion, destroyed the Death Star (that big, round station that can destroy an entire planet), faced off against Darth Vader, discovered that Darth Vader was actually his father, and helped his father turn back to the light side and defeat the Emperor before dying. At the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke was not only a hero, but also the last remaining Jedi, but according to the newest film that just came out, he apparently had been in the process of training a new generation.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I loved that Rey is a nobody. I really hope it wasn't a lie.

I really liked the movie in general! There were a ton of cool scenes (special mention to the light speed kamikaze), the plot kept you guessing, and I thought Luke was really cool. But maybe as someone who was relatively less into Star Wars growing up than most people who like Star Wars, I never got to idealize him as the perfect hero. ALSO THE CRYSTAL FOXES ARE THE BEST. I WANT ONE.

My only real complaints were there were a few too many one-liners, and I didn't really like Rose very much.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile WWW

The crystal foxes are awesome. I should make some sort of crystal fox OC on Beacon of Hope. Even if it's just an extra.

Also, turning a ship into an infinite mass bullet. That. Was. AWESOME! though it does beg the question why didn't they do that with one of the other ships after evacuating them?

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:06 pm
Site Administrator

I would guess those ships don't have warp drives.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

Then how do they follow along with the main ship on it's jump to light speed? I suppose the main ship could drag other nearby ships with it in it's jump, but I'd think that would risk pulling enemy ships with you in the process.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Oh! perfect! yes, okay, star wars....

SO...
I am divided, I liked the movie. but I was also hoping things went differently, and it felt like sometimes they were about to but then a different twist happened and I was left being unsure about what happened. There were a few choices by the characters I didn't quite like. Overall though I did like it, the hyperspace attack, the foxes.... the foxes.

So my question is...
how much fuel did the first order have? why not hyperspace jump a little in front of the rebels and have them stuck between them?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 pm
Site Administrator

Couldn't the rebels just jump somewhere else then? They don't know for sure where they plan to jump.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

then the rebels would not have any fuel left, and not be at the secret base. The first order just needed to be closer. sending a few ships forward would probably stop the rebels long enough

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]