Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Zootopia 
Site Administrator

Well they're not real, but maybe there will be a scene where a wolf and a fox are nearby and you can cross your eyes. :3

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 am
Profile WWW

I was already wondering why this thread was so silent. Never thought I'd see this weeks before it even premieres in the US.

Let's just say that it's a really nice movie. :)

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:40 pm
Site Administrator

No faaaaair. D:

How does it compare to other recent Disney movies?

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Profile WWW

For the other movies, I had the idea that Disney and Pixar were starting to tackle deeper psychological issues, but still in an understandable way (Frozen, Inside Out). I kinda missed that here -- although the initial villain still has a tragic backstory like in Wreck-it Ralph. Not that that's bad, it's actually good to have a somewhat lighter theme occasionally (or maybe the story just wasn't that recognizable for me :) )

The adaptations they made for different species are fun (and sometimes speciesist, but that's one of the points of the movie).

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:41 am

Hooray for speciesists!!! Hail Hydra!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:46 am
Profile WWW

It was a pretty good movie all right.

Tayi wrote:
I was already wondering why this thread was so silent. Never thought I'd see this weeks before it even premieres in the US.

So the US has something later than Europe for a change...

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

TabbyTim wrote:
Hooray for speciesists!!! Hail Hydra!
Hydrae aren't mammals. Get out of here with that nonsense.

So far this has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 14 reviews. :D

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:16 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Hydrae aren't mammals. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Uh, I'm pretty sure Hydras have spines. duh.

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Administrator

So you're suggesting all non-mammals are spineless.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I RESENT THAT!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:32 pm
Profile WWW

Hydras' just have a strong backbone made out of fascism

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

21 reviews and still all positive! We did it, guys!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:48 am
Profile WWW

I can't wait to go see this movie! It looks amazing!

Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:03 am
Profile WWW

It was so much fun, even if I could quibble about the theme song.

The muddled nature of the 'speciesist' situations in the movie had been noted in the reviews, and after seeing the movie, I'll agree that it's stronger for it. Closer to human experience because it is all so muddled, and the movie creeps toward an awareness that the give-n-take muddled nature of its moral themes have a lot to do with looking at and judging the wrong aspects of a person. Doesn't quite arrive at that awareness from a narrative perspective, which probably is for the best.

And 64 reviews at Rotten Tomatoes holding to it's 100%. For one reason or another, critics just can't bring themselves to actively dislike the movie. The worst review I saw was one 6/10, which is just inside that fresh zone.

I appreciated Zootopia more than Inside Out, but then I didn't quite like Inside Out as much as most people did.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 pm
Site Administrator

SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

It finally has a negative review on Rotten Tomatoes, to go with the 98 positive ones. The reviewer seemed to kind of miss the point, such as suggesting it's bad that this fictional world has troubling implications (kind of the point) and being somewhat repulsed at the subtext of an interracial relation (God forbid). *grumbles*

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 am
Profile WWW

There was a bad review on Rotten Tomatoes a while back and it got removed. I'm wondering if this one will be taken down too considering you've implied it contains racism.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

This movie is sickeningly cute.

but for real, even if I wasn't a purveyor of the furry arts, this would be a good film. An imaginative world with clever dialogue and very relateable characters. The message is a tad heavy handed but handled really well within the story. I'd say it subverts some tropes but...that's kind of the theme of the movie. Would recommend.

Also according to the wikipedia page the furry fandom was specifically targeted by Disney's marketing team. Clever.

-G.K. Chesterton

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:22 pm
Lady Sloth

Just saw it. Loved the set design a lot--I want to live in the rainforest quadrant! The character design was great too--personally, the more feral the designs, the better, in my book. I love how they played with size differences and the various adaptations needed to be made to the city so that things can be accessible to all different species. The gender ratio is still skewed male, but the main character is Judy and the ratio is much improved over typical children's movie fare. You know, more like 60/40 as opposed to 90/10.

It does struggle a lot with plot cliches even though it manages to subvert a lot of tropes at the same time.

Unfortunately the worst thing that is going to come out of this movie... Is rule 34 on FA. Disney can't help that, tho'... The movie itself is totally worth a watch!

One thing I would change if I were in charge, is I would swap the sloth characters Flash and Priscilla. Priscilla had a much cooler design and of course is a lady sloth (I'm biased) and would have been better in that role, imho. They could have still called her Flash, even.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I LOVED IT. <3 I wanna see it again. Multiple times.

I loved how it didn't pull punches with the kinds of issues it tackled; they managed to be tasteful about it and yet bring up some surprisingly layered messages. I also found it amazingly coincidental how closely it paralleled the aftermath of the Paris attacks despite the plot being finalized well before that even happened.

Also, I loved all the little puns and references. Two particularly neat ones I noticed were the name Duke Weaselton (remember the decoy villain from Frozen?) as well as the "drug" guys Woolter and Jesse. I'm sure there's a million other subtle ones that I missed that are out there. For starters I'd like to see a still shot of Judy's music library.

Lastly, hats off to Disney for making a movie (at least partially) targeting children with thousands of animal characters and two separate scenes involving a toilet without a single poop joke.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next