Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Research says furries offer important support system 
Site Administrator

Ian shared this on Facebook! It's good seeing positive press.

[Link]

Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

Interesting, that's the second Canadian researcher I'm familiar with that does the exact same research on furries and the benefits of subcultures. What is Canada plotting...

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Furries? Benefits? Pah!

But in reality, not sure if I trust a Researcher from Canada on the topic of subcultures considering Toronto is crawling with such pests.

Furries give us a sense of community, belonging. But from personal experience? The Furry Fandom has been nothing but a burden to me, and I've seen very little benefits from it. Maybe that's just me. But I receive my sense of community elsewhere. I'm a furry to myself; no longer do I need other furries to validate my existence.

We all want validation after all.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:31 pm
Site Administrator

Your experience may have been negative, and your experiences are just as valid as anybody else's! However, that doesn't go for everyone's experiences, and a lot of people have found valuable support in the furry fandom. That doesn't invalidate you or your experiences at all, it just means yours were different. A lot of people have negative experiences with college, church, or doctors, but those things still definitely offer positive things!

Also who are you calling a pest? :/

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Your experience may have been negative, and your experiences are just as valid as anybody else's! However, that doesn't go for everyone's experiences, and a lot of people have found valuable support in the furry fandom. That doesn't invalidate you or your experiences at all, it just means yours were different. A lot of people have negative experiences with college, church, or doctors, but those things still definitely offer positive things!

Also who are you calling a pest? :/

Fair enough. But often times I can question whether the fandom does, in the long run, any good for people. Guess we will see.

Nobody here, that is for certain. But it seems a lot of the Social Justice Warrior crowd, the kinds I cannot stand, congregate in that area. Excuse my use of vocab.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 pm

It has done good for me. I found friends in the fandom. Online friends, but it's nice knowing there are people online who don't really care about how strange I am. It's nice to be able to talk to others, especially since I only have one friend I see IRL.

Of course, I did look where I made those furry friends. I didn't even bother with Fur Affinity Forums, for example. Instead I went on looking for a family-friendly place where I would feel welcome and accepted. I found that here, but also at another furry forum. Now even others on that other forum don't know how things would've been if I wasn't part of it. And to be honest, I don't really want to know.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Yeah the FA forums are notoriously pretty bad. :/ Not to say people can't find good friends there, of course. There's a lot of toxicity in the furry fandom if you look the wrong places.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 am
Profile WWW

I know there are kind furs on the FA forums, but I don't like toxidic places. That's why I like to be careful with where I go in the furry fandom. Or anywhere else for that matter.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:41 am
Profile WWW

This is an interesting view of the world whatsoever. I'm not a "true" furry, but I noticed I enjoy my time spending online making all sorts of completely crazy jokes. Who cares? Furries admit they're crazy anyway.
PS yes, Michen, always watch your step.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:29 am

Heh. Well, I certainly know how supportive and inclusive the fandom can be.

As was said at Confurgence this year: People go to fandom/comic conventions to collect autographs. Furries go to furcons to collect friendships.

I've never met a group of people who are as friendly or supportive or as in touch with themselves as furries. Sure we have our drama and our controversies sometimes but as a whole the fandom is a wonderful, supportive group full of talented and creative people who almost invariably try to support and encourage each other.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]