Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The Fandom from An Outside View 

Sorry I'm not very active here...that I only "pop in" once and a while. I tend not to hang on internet forums very often. I just wanted to get some opinions or ideas regarding a series of YouTube videos I'm considering doing. I was inspired by a popular brony analyst named drwolf who had a cordial discussion with a so-called "anti-brony" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNT9wzUrhOI I though it would be great if there were a furry version of this. Media about furries tends to be hostile or sensationalist and media about "normies" tends to be condescending and paint even valid criticism as "just a hater." I don't know how to apporach it. Interview a "furry hater?" Address some common complains about furries and which ones are valid or not? Address a specific article/video?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 am
Site Administrator

I think that could certainly be interesting, but I think it would be tough to find a good "furry hater." Furry tolerance has improved enough recently that I think most people are generally "it's whatever." Those who still are "furry haters," I imagine, would generally be completely uncivil and unwilling to have a decent interview.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
I think that could certainly be interesting, but I think it would be tough to find a good "furry hater." Furry tolerance has improved enough recently that I think most people are generally "it's whatever." Those who still are "furry haters," I imagine, would generally be completely uncivil and unwilling to have a decent interview.

I totally agree.

@thebrownbunny

Besides, the "furry hater" label already begins the interview from a confrontational and negative stand point. It looks contrived (particularly if the person listening is not really aware of the entire picture). The one thing you don't want to do is polarize the discussion and force everyone to take sides before they know anything about it (because, that's what people will do). That's really counterproductive unless the actual goal is to cause division. What will most likely happen is that you'll end up alienating anyone (furries and non-furries alike) who haven't really got a beef with each other, but who may also have legitimate concerns about so called "bad" behavior in and out of furry fandom.

Perhaps, you should do interviews with people who are not furries, but who don't hate furry fandom. You know... like people who are willing to talk about the positive aspects while at the same time discussing their likes and dislikes. Also, I would leave the definition of furry to it's broadest context. Lot's of people have their own personal idea of what "furry" is, but not all of them agree on that definition (both in and out of furry fandom). For the most part, keep the discussion light and interesting for both sides. Be professional and assume you are a guest entering someone else's home. Be polite and mature (Aberguine on Youtube is a good example to follow). Respect your listeners personal space. If you need to, find an disinterested person to perform the interview (especially if the topic is too emotional for you to discuss politely).

Mercury: * fy mjcsf sfzobset * cpoft * lopdl boe uif epps tibmm cf pqfofe *

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for replying. Yeah, starting with an antagonistic "hater" is probably a bad idea. Last thing I want is more polarization. I suppose I should begin with the definition of "furry"; whether or not it should be a self-declaration or whether someone else can label something furry. I know a few non-furries that take issue with that.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]