Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Board Games with Anthropomorphic Themes 

Playing board games is one of my favorite hobbies, and I thought it might be fun to compile a list of board games with Anthropomorphic themes in order to share that hobby with all of you.

The great thing about board games is that they allow for social interaction between different groups of people.They can become an opportunity for furry fans to have fun and communicate with both each other and non-furry fans.

Need to enjoy your furry hobby, but can't find other furry fans to interact with? Why not try playing one of these board games with a non-furry fan? You don't even have to mention you're interests. As long as the game is good, you can both enjoy the fun. You don't have to even emphasize your furry interest, because a board game creates its own micro universe that every player becomes a part of.

Another great thing is that the interaction in a board game is real time and not virtual. On top of that, numerous board game clubs have sprung up around the country, which makes it easy to find people to play with and have access to and play games you might not own.

BoardGameGeek is one of the largest online communities for board game aficionados, and is an excellent resource for find games and other information concerning the hobby.

Here is a list of board games I've compiled along with links to video reviews of the board games listed. In compiling this list, I tried to stick to games that had anthropomorphic
characters, but were also mainstream and available for purchase at most game stores. I did not include games with strictly animal themes or the numerous variations of werewolf that have saturated the board game market lately. There are a few children's games on the list, but they can be fun for adults to play, as well.

Hopefully, we can all add to this list as time goes by. Include any board games you'd like to add. You don't have to stick strictly to my constraints.

Out of this list, I currently own Mob Town (which is a lot of fun to play), and I'm currently looking to acquire Histrio in the future.

Special thanks to Rahdo, Tom Vasel, Zee Garcia, Straw and Parker, and many others for these wonderful reviews and tutorials. Make sure you check out their channels on Youtube when you get the chance.

Enjoy and have a great day! :)

10’ to Kill Review with Tom Vasel

Brutal Kingdom Review with Zee Garcia

Histrio Game run-through

Histrio Extended Gameplay

Histrio Final Thoughts

Brave Rats Review - with Tom Vasel

Burrows and Badgers Miniature Wargame - Playthrough 1

Burrows and Badgers Miniature Wargame - Playthrough 2

Mob Town

Mob Town Compnents and Expansion

Mice and Mystics Run-through

Mice and Mystics Extended Gameplay

Mice and Mystics Final Thoughts

Dawn of Peacemakers Gameplay run-through

Dawn of Peacemakers - Final Thoughts

Space Sheep Run-through

Space Sheep Extended Gameplay

Space Sheep Final Thoughts

Ninja Squirrels

Kune v Lakia Run-through

Kune v Lakia Final Thoughts

Dingo’s Dreams Gameplay Run-through

Dingo’s Dreams Final Thoughts

Watchmen of Destiny Gameplay Run-through

Watchmen of Destiny Extended Gameplay

Watchmen of Destiny - Final Thoughts

Squirrel Rush

Ninja Camp Gameplay Run-through

Ninja Camp Extended Gameplay

Ninja Camp Final Thoughts

Outfoxed Review with Tom Vasel

Tally Ho!

The Lion Guard: Protect the Pride Lands

Bunny Kingdom - Quickstart How To Play

Mercury: * fy mjcsf sfzobset * cpoft * lopdl boe uif epps tibmm cf pqfofe *

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Which would you say the best furry games are?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Which would you say the best furry games are?

That's really a matter of taste. It depends on what type of game one enjoys, and the only way to know that is to play them.

For me right now, I like cooperative games like Pandemic (non-anthro) and games that have multiple variations like Mob Town (anthro). I'm really not into resource management games like Settlers of Catan or over complicated Euro games like Game of Thrones. I'm not big into dice driven RPG or miniatures games, but many people enjoy them and play them passionately. Figure collecting and painting is a often a big thing for people into miniatures games. There are many "Werewolf" style games out there for people who enjoy social/party style games. The market is swamped with these games right now, and many variations are just bad. The exception would be 10’ to Kill, which Tom Vasel named as one of the best. For people into Lovecraft, there's a ton of Arkham/Cthulu themed games of various types. Again, they're not my thing, but many people enjoy them.

Out of this list, I would recommend Mob Town. I played it all summer and it was a nice light entertaining game. It has multiple variations (cooperative and competitive), and the expansion opens up more possibilities for customization. It's like owning 2-4 games in one box.

The games I would like to try on this list would be:

1. Histrio
2. Brutal Kingdom
3. Ninja Camp
4. 10’ to Kill
5. Tally Ho

I'd be open to trying Burrows and Badgers if I could find a way to eliminate the dice rolling and character stat sheets.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I was at my friend's house (who's a secret furry) and I noticed he had Mice and Mystics! What do you have to say about that one?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
I was at my friend's house (who's a secret furry) and I noticed he had Mice and Mystics! What do you have to say about that one?

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard that people either really like it or they don't. One of the game's strength is both the artwork and the miniatures. This is a nice meaty game with well made components, story book, and board. You're getting something for your money (which is great because many board games now days are cards and cardboard for 50 bucks... yeesh!). The game also has two other expansions (the third is quite beautiful, btw).

The game is heavily narrative driven, which is an attempt to create a system where no GM is needed to move the game along. That means you play along with a story book, and the adventures take quite a long time to play per scenario. Also, it is heavily dice driven, which some people have complained takes away from the game. I don't particularly like dice driven games, because it often seems like you're simply using the dice to determine the next incident in a movie. So, many RPG's are kinda boring for me. It's probably one reason I wouldn't play Mice and Mystics, but I know many people who love dice driven games. So, if people who like dice driven games are complaining, then it must be pretty dice intensive.

Another thing I've heard people dislike is that M&M isn't as interesting after you've played the story through a second time. You already know what is going to happen after you've played through the game. The first time is a lot of fun, because you don't know how the story is going to end and each new chapter is fresh.

Anyway, that's all I can tell you. Now you know why I chose Burrows and Badgers over Mice and Mystics. It's not narrative driven, and it's easier to modify game play (house rules). That makes it more flexible. There are some games that simply play better than Mice and Mystics. Here they are for comparison:

1. Escape from Colditz <=== compare to Mice and Mystics
2. Rise of the Kage <=== compare to Mice and Mystics (Disclaimer: Sam Conway is not a character in this game).
3. Runequest RPG <=== Could be used to modify Burrows and Badgers
4. Crossfire. (example play though at this link) <=== Could be used to modify Burrows and Badgers
5. Lone Wolf and Cub <=== compare to Mice and Mystics

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:45 am
Profile WWW

I'm going to add two RPG games that predate furry fandom.

The Apple Lane Adventure for RuneQuest featured anthropomorphic characters in an RPG as early as 1978.

The Skyrealms RPG also featured anthropomorphic alien races back in 1985, and featured some excellent artwork for an RPG game book. The entire Skyrealms set is available at Archive.org for anyone interested.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Pugmire is also a recent furry RPG!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]