Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic 
Site Administrator

To be fair, the walls are made of clouds. :P

The episode also had a pretty blatant, shameless reference. At least it makes sense in context.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

So, I totally watched MLP: Equestria Girls yesterday. idk why. I started out my movie watching with the 2014 TMNT so I guess I was in a "movies I don't really care about but am curious enough to watch when feeling sick" binge??

It wasn't quite as sexist as I feared, but it was pretty obviously an hour-long toy commercial. Altho', that's basically what MLP is and always has been, so that's not even a problem I guess, haha.

I still dislike how there's zero body diversity in shows like this--all the girls use the same model; no one gets to be fat, or muscular, or visibly disabled... they're all just hecka skinny. I was also kind of miffed that they had all different weird skin colors, like that old cartoon Doug--blue, purple, green, etc.--but no one had brown skin?? There were characters with white-people flesh tones, but not a brown-skinned person to be seen anywhere. It's kind of glaring when you can have green people but not brown people in a show :(

EDIT:

Watched the 2nd one too just for the halibut. It was pretty good actually. Considering. >_>;; I really liked all the music even though it's, objectively, saccharine garbage. No accounting for taste, haha

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

The second one was definitely better. I just wish the music got heavier as the plot became more intense. But I have kinda heavy tastes in music, and am not a nine-year-old. :P

I think the identical body shapes was "justified." In that the dolls it exists solely to sell probably all use the same model.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

It's fine for the main cast to have the same body shape I guess, but it was pretty glaring in the background characters also. There was *slightly* more variety of male shapes--muscular/broad-shouldered, chubby, skinny, runty, etc.--whereas the girls had different heights but the same body type, including really crazy long legs. The long legs were especially bad on the adult women... I understand the long-legged ankle-less giant-feet thing is a legit art style right now, but the adult women were so over-stylized it was distracting to me XD. They had the same proportions from hip to head as everyone else, but their legs were a third longer. I guess in that universe the only thing that keeps growing after you hit 13 is your legs XD

I did see one curvy girl for about 15 seconds at one point but that was it.

The issue of body diversity is, of course, not unique to this show. Pretty much everything marketed to children has this same issue. Disney is pretty egregiously bad with having the body diverse female characters all evil (Ursula, Cruella DeVille, Mother Gothel, etc.) and the protagonists all having like the same face...?? (huge eyes, tiny button nose, small rounded chin)

http://turbomun.tumblr.com/post/8001236 ... er-stories

So I don't want you to think that I'm picking on MLP only. Although the lack of brown skin anywhere in that entire universe still bothers me a lot.

As for the plots, it seems like a step down for the MLP universe. To go from this all-encompassing magic quest kind of world to a... high school... when I was in high school I wanted to escape from it, not revel in it. But I guess it's marketed toward younger kids who are theoretically looking forward to going to high school?

All in all I think Monster High--whose coattails these toymakers were trying to ride on, as far as I can tell--does what it does far better. It has a much more diverse cast of characters, is kind of branching out into body diversity (I know they have a merman that uses a wheelchair, for example), and started out as a high school thing rather than taking a completely unrelated franchise and shoehorning it into a high school...

that said I ... enjoyed the 2nd Equestria girls one... maybe I should start watching the actual TV show now...

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Well yeah, the story being a step down kind of goes without saying. That's not even the kind of setting MLP:FiM was designed to work with.

Also it's kinda weird because the main characters are written as early 20s but now they're suddenly 14-18?

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

Just started watching the first season. I kinda like it ^^ my favorite has to be AJ, but Fluttershy is cool, too.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:33 am
Site Administrator

Cool! What made you decide to start now?

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:59 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Cool! What made you decide to start now?

I liked some fan made MLP comics and wanted to get to know the characters myself ^^

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:11 pm
Site Administrator

Ah. Cool! Well I hope you like it! The series is pretty consistently good through all five seasons! ^.^

Fluttershy was my favorite at first, but then became Pinkie Pie, and is now Twilight! The show just has good characters.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:30 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Ah. Cool! Well I hope you like it! The series is pretty consistently good through all five seasons! ^.^

Fluttershy was my favorite at first, but then became Pinkie Pie, and is now Twilight! The show just has good characters.

Spike would be my second favorite character ^^
But yeah, the series looks extremely well made considering how they animate ^^
I don't know how I like the giant eyes from the straight do forward front shots, though.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm
Lady Sloth

Rainbow Dash has mmy favorite design and attribute (loyalty--what can I say, I'm a Hufflepuff) but she's just a little *too* conceited to be my fav. Applejack is definitely my fav at this point.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

She totally has the best design. There's a reason she's both my Facebook banner image and the only MLP plushie I own even though she isn't my favorite.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:11 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
She totally has the best design. There's a reason she's both my Facebook banner image and the only MLP plushie I own even though she isn't my favorite.

Agreed ^^ maybe if Twilight had a better hair style, she'd have a cool design, too

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 pm
Site Administrator

I found a really cool explanation as to one of the things that makes MLP:FiM resonate with a lot of people.
Quote:
I think the reason it has become a subculture is that the show has hit an untapped vein of fiction that resonates with people. The main characters of the show learn life lessons, lessons in socialization, in how to interact with others. But, none of them live with their parents, none of them attend an organized school, and all of them have jobs, more or less. A librarian, a baker, a farmer, a self-employed clothier, a stunt flyer, and an animal caregiver. By any reasonable definition of the word, the characters are adults.

For those of us in the real world who are also nominally adults, or approaching that state, we identify with that situation of still having to learn how to interact with people. So to be shown a world where that's normal and where people aren't looked down upon for committing faux pas, it's quite attractive.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15