Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic 
Site Administrator

So the season 2 finale of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is on its way! Man, I can't believe it's been two years now.

Is anyone following the hype? They're seriously promoting this hour-long special. I'm really excited and hope it'll be something spectacular!

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

MLP seems to be kind of polarizing, most people either love it or hate it. Personally, I'm kind of lukewarm; the show has its moments, but it's not anywhere close to my favorite thing. I'll probably watch the season 2 finale once it makes its way onto youtube, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I think the people who hate it tend to fall into three groups:

1.) People who insist on hating it and can't acknowledge that something this girly and kiddy can be good
2.) People who are annoyed by the overzealous and obnoxious fans and end up pushing the other way
3.) People who gave it a fair shot and legitimately dislike it

I think the third group is far smaller than it should be; the first two are way too large.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

I personally don't like cartoons or kids shows very much. I hardly even watch adult TV or movies. In fact, I haven't owned a TV in years; all the TV I watch is either netflix when I visit my parents or clips of things off youtube.

I sincerely appreciate the pro-female nature of the show, and I like the character designs. I was disappointed with how they handled the bison characters.

I did make myself an MLP 'sona though. behold:

Attachment:
mylittlemountaingoat.png

what, did you think I'd be a pony??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Actually, there are a lot of non-pony "ponies" on the show. There's been at least two donkeys, a few mules, aforementioned buffalo, a zebra, and two gryphons so far. So a mountain goat would fit right in! Also I think it's really cute.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
I think the people who hate it tend to fall into three groups:

1.) People who insist on hating it and can't acknowledge that something this girly and kiddy can be good
2.) People who are annoyed by the overzealous and obnoxious fans and end up pushing the other way
3.) People who gave it a fair shot and legitimately dislike it

I think the third group is far smaller than it should be; the first two are way too large.

I would have ended up squarely in group 2 if it weren't for a very weird series of events that I would share now except that it would spoil an interesting story that's not quite finished yet (I'll let everyone know when it is). The fans are definitely a big turn-off, especially for someone like me who finds faults in pretty much every show and has very little patience for fanatic fans who won't tolerate any kind of criticism towards the object of their worship.

It would go a very long way towards getting people to try watching the show if fans made a little more effort to let people know that it really isn't intolerably girly. Even if you don't like the girly parts (which I don't), the show as a whole is good enough that you can still easily enjoy it. There are a lot of fans who do pretty much the opposite, though; their attitude is basically "oh look at me! I'm a 15 to 20-something guy who watches a GIRL SHOW! That makes me special and unique! Look at these extremely girly parts of the show and how much I like them! I enjoy something that you're not capable of enjoying, so I'm better than you!" It's basically the same attitude that pretentious rich people have when they eat bizarre foods and listen to unlikable music. They try to make all their interests seem as indigestible as possible so that normal people will avoid those interest and they can use that as evidence that they're better.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Sleet wrote:
Actually, there are a lot of non-pony "ponies" on the show. There's been at least two donkeys, a few mules, aforementioned buffalo, a zebra, and two gryphons so far. So a mountain goat would fit right in! Also I think it's really cute.

Don't forget Spike the dragon! Best character.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Yeah but he's like his own kinda shape. The others are still generally quadrupeds.

Speaking of non-pony characters, Gilda really reminds me of how they talk in Rocket Power.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

Arfang wrote "MLP seems to be kind of polarizing, most people either love it or hate it"

for me MLP is just another cutie cutie cute cutie show. I dont hate it but i cant find anything for me, i dont like humor , all cutie-cute stuff (tatoo on butts as well) and general idea.
I dont like this show but i dont hate it. and i cant understand WHY adult people are so atracted to it? my friend tried to "converse" me into this...PONYligion and i watched few episodes of it with him withous SINGLE smile. I am OK with that he loves this show (not my buisness) but everywhere he goes, every forum he login every SINGLE POST WITH accordings to MLP freaks me out XD

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I like MLP (Points at avatar); my girlfriend dragged me into it since she really wanted to see it. I like it enough that I'll buy the seasons on DVD.
However, without having Satellite or Cable, I can't watch them when they air. I'm stuck with youtube for seeing all the episodes.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:13 pm
Site Administrator

It's on Netflix now too.

Also, apparently Shining Armor and Cadence are going to be listed in the New York Times wedding section. This episode better be amazing with all the promotion it's getting.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm
Profile WWW

I'm currently working on a pony OC named Cherpumples who is written in an Omnitemporal External Perspective. I don't believe that's an actual term, as I just made it up in a conversation with my brother, but it's fun.

(hey, sleet-- cherpumples)

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:15 pm

So, the story covers every possible point in time all at once? Can I see this when it's finished? Words and sentences are inherently sequential things, and it's going to take some kind of very unusual writing structure to get around that.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Well, maybe if it ever gets going. It's only in the conceptual realm at this point, and it might always stay there if the idea is as difficult to reify as I'm assuming it'll be.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am
Site Administrator

Your character is frightening.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:36 am
Profile WWW

What I'm imagining is writing the entire thing on a very big piece of paper where the whole story is one really long line that goes in a circle, and so there isn't a first or last sentence, you just pick a point where you want to start reading and the whole thing repeats forever. That wouldn't really be every point at once so much as cyclical, which means there's no beginning or end, but you still only see one point at a time. I can't think of a way you could get any closer to "omnitemporal" than that, though.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am
Profile WWW

Arfang wrote:
What I'm imagining is writing the entire thing on a very big piece of paper where the whole story is one really long line that goes in a circle, and so there isn't a first or last sentence, you just pick a point where you want to start reading and the whole thing repeats forever. That wouldn't really be every point at once so much as cyclical, which means there's no beginning or end, but you still only see one point at a time. I can't think of a way you could get any closer to "omnitemporal" than that, though.

Like Finnegan's Wake?

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am

Yeah, that sounds awfully similar to what Arfang described-- but I'm not sure that's what I'm thinking of at all. Some of the ideas I had for omnitemporal perspectives would probably be better for visual media (comix) than literature.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 am

Well, there goes that idea. I had no idea that was the name of a book, I thought it was just an Irish drinking song.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Nah it's probably the hardest story to read ever.

MLP/Finnegan's Wake crossover? Heck yeah!

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next