Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Primary and Secondary Furries 
Site Administrator

I've noticed in the fandom that there are generally two kinds of furries: primary an secondary furries. They are fans of primary and secondary furry works, respectively. I define these terms as follows:

Primary works are works created by "real" artists, with a target audience other than furries. This includes anything from Looney Toons to Ratchet and Clank to old fairy tales.
Secondary works are made for furries, by furries. This would be art on FurAffinity, most furry webcomics (with some exceptions, like VG Cats and, to a lesser extent, Housepets!), and role plays like the ones we have here.

I've noticed a surprising number of furries who are exclusively secondary, as well as a lot of furries who are exclusively primary and don't consider themselves furries. Personally I'm both. What do y'all think of this classification?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I find that the art I look at is secondary, but the other media is primary, like Disney & such.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Then you would be both, of course!

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

i thought it would be like the con-goers, suiters, and role-players vs those who only consume media

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I mean that's also a valid classification, but it's not like there's only one way to slice things.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:10 pm
Profile WWW

Im my own class, I do everything. B3 Except suiting, really really really want too!!!

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:51 am

There's an idea...if only we could organize some sort of lottery, where everyone who wants to participate pays a small amount into a pot, and when the price is reached (which might not take long) the person with the winning number gets to commission a participating suit-maker and the maker gets paid all at once. The chances of winning would be much higher than in most contests. Maybe that has been done before, I dunno.

Oh, to get back to the topic...I consider myself mostly "secondary" by Sleet's criteria because I don't watch much TV and there's very little mainstream art for me to see these days (not to mention mainstream funny animals are becoming quite rare--MLP, though visible, is also unique).

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:01 am
Profile YIM

I would consider myself both then, I guess. I mostly enjoy secondary works but when a good, and furry relevant movie or show comes out, I enjoy it as well =)

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm
Profile WWW

I think I'm definitely both.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:57 pm
Profile WWW

I'm both, I enjoy mainstream furry work but I also very much like the inner-furry works. Well, not the deepest pits of furry-ness, but you know, like stuff around here.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm mostly primary. On occasion, I see something made by furries I like and think "Oh, this is very good. Why isn't in known outside of furry?"

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm either, depending on which category Housepets! falls in. :P

But mostly secondary - friends' personal characters are a bit more meaningful to me than franchised characters.

(That could change, though, if Zootopia is as good as all of us are hoping it will be. XD )

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 pm

I have to probably be both. Sorta cause I'm more secondary but I'm kinda excited about Zootopia and stuff.

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Guess I'd say I'm both. There are a decent number of things I like in both categories, though I'd say I'm more so primary when it comes to media and secondary when it comes to art.

Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Secondary, through and through, regarding what very little time I spend among the fandom anymore. I've been a furry for nearly eleven years now, largely developing (and then, for the most part, never using) countless characters during my time in the adult aspect of the fandom. It was just recently that I got back into the furry fandom, after attempting to regain some intimacy with Christ in my directionless, albeit happy life. What little furry media I do watch doesn't count, due to the very fact that I watch it so little, but it would be considered primary, if I had the free time to engage in it.

I settled on a whippet as my primary character, because the grace and beauty of the running dogs, and a hyena, modeled after an insult/fictional villain's name leveled at me just before I dropped out of college, as my two main characters- one good and one anti-hero, in the end. My other two characters are, as of yet, largely undeveloped.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Interesting classification, although I don't see why it's better than any other way.
(seems like most people would be classified as "both")
I guess I tend to like more secondary, but I can't really say I dislike primary aspects either.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Both. I'm definitely both.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]