Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
A bible study! 

Hey all, I know I am not always around. But I have had an idea brewing for awhile and wanted to give it a try. Sleet gave me a wonderful idea, those interested would all pick a chapter, the leader of that week (or two weeks, I think Bi-weekly would be good), will lead a discussion for that chapter. The leader will be the one that picked the chapter. However if someone isn't sure they can lead a discussion we can let others help out as well. I will start by going with Chapter 1 of Mark. I have been working on the best way to run this and I think the best thing will be to let the person of the chapter choose the way the discussion should go.

So, before I begin the discussion, who wants to join and choose what chapter?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 pm
Site Administrator

Count me in! I'll claim chapter 2.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds good!
To clarify though, are we all doing chapters of the same book or just whichever we happen to be reading at the time?

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:06 am
Profile WWW

Same book.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 pm

okay, cool. ^^

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:57 am
Profile WWW

I'd love too!

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Awesome!
so I will post up chapter 1 probably tomorrow when I am off work. Which of you two (Tom or Furr) wants 3 and who wants chapter 4?
It will be a while till we get there either way. we got to talk about chapter 1 first.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am
Site Administrator

I'll do Mark chapter 5!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

Hey guys, sorry for not posting. Been sick and working a lot. I will be posting the chapter 1 of mark discussion at the beginning of August.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm
Site Administrator

Looking forward to it!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile WWW

My apologies on this being so late of a start. I have been trying to find a way to give this study some justice.
So now, Mark chapter 1.
there are 45 verses in this chapter. I am reading from the NKJV myself, use whatever version you prefer.
Now; Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are all perspectives on the life of Jesus.

The first fifteen verses are about John the Baptist (which I think his fate is told in the gospel of luke?)
This has John mentioning how Jesus is the one the prophets foretold.
the rest of the chapter is about Jesus finding his followers and then performing miracles. However, unlike the gospel of john the first mentioned miracle (water to wine) is not told here.

So from your reading people;
1. What do you think the focus of Mark is?
2. Why are details like the story of john and the 40 days in the wilderness left out?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:12 pm
Site Administrator

Here's the link to the chapter if anyone doesn't have their own Bible!

I'm reading a Contemporary English Version Bible for mine!

My thoughts on your discussion questions:

1.) Something interesting I notice about this particular account of the Gospel is just how direct it is. The stories are back-to-back and seem to have less detail than you see in the other Gospels! To me that makes me think the focus is on trying to tell the story of Jesus's ministry. Even the Christmas story isn't there, which makes Mark strike me as a no-nonsense kinda guy, yaknow?

2.) I think there's one of two main possibilities. One, Mark didn't consider the details that important so he just wanted to mention the important stuff. Two, those details were added later by the other Gospel writers, either through their own interpretation of how it would have happened or through God's guidance. Or perhaps there were other Gospels or word of mouth they heard it from?

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile WWW

So, Francis gave me a suggestion.
perhaps a chapter is to much, how about if we segment a chapter?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Site Administrator

That works for me once we move on to chapter 2 (which I'll be leading)!

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:43 pm
Profile WWW

Jacey Panda wrote:
1. What do you think the focus of Mark is?

I think the gospels are meant to do exactly what Jesus said to the disciples, to spread the good news. if i remember correctly Mark is the shortest of the gospels, I think Mark just wanted to 'hit the highlights' so to speak and spread the message of Jesus as much as possible. In this time period most history and literature was remembered orally and stuff was written down only when it was really important, so they also wanted to have records of Jesus' time on the earth
Jacey Panda wrote:
2. Why are details like the story of john and the 40 days in the wilderness left out?

That's an interesting one and I wonder if some of the other writers of the Gospels were merely speculating or if Jesus told them what happened in the desert and Mark felt it just wasn't important enough to write down (other than noting that it happened, of course). Given that he noted John the Baptist's appearance though that makes me wonder even more about it; perhaps John's appearance (and eating habits) were as bizarre to the Israelites as they sound to us today

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Site Administrator

I don't see why Mark would have mentioned anything about that if it wasn't weird. So I'd guess that too! Though that begs the question of what exactly the significance of his weirdness is.

My guess is maybe God sent John the Baptist for the purpose of preparing people for the unlikely origin of the Messiah. Easing the world into something as ludicrous as a baby saving humanity!

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

1) What do you think the focus of mark is?

anyone here who is smarter than me; confirm that Mark was the oldest gospel, correct? I'm pretty sure that's right.

Either way, I imagine that Mark is trying to tell a story, and is recalling all the bits he can remember or was told. I'm not sure he had a point per sey.

2) Why are details left out?

Might not have known about them! Or perhaps he didn't think they were important. I WOULD like to know more about the John thing. I don't remember studying him much. Grasshopper eating isn't that weird though.

-G.K. Chesterton

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm
Site Administrator

I'm gonna lead Mark 2, so I'll do a writeup soon! I've been hecka busy. Feel free to read the passage ahead of time if you all would like! If anyone wants to go back and talk about Mark 1 even after we started Mark 2 that's just fine! This really can be all done at whatever pace we like.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Okay, my turn to lead a chapter! If any of y'all have more to say about Mark 1 (including anyone who hasn't been able to participate yet), that's still allowed, so don't feel like you've missed the train, if any of you want to jump in on this Bible study!

Here's the verse for those who don't have access to a Bible:
Mark 2 (International Standard Version) wrote:
Jesus Heals a Paralyzed Man

Several days later, Jesus returned to Capernaum and it was reported that he was at home. Such a large crowd gathered that there wasn’t room for them, even in front of the door. Jesus was speaking his message to them when some people came and brought him a paralyzed man being carried by four men. Since they couldn’t bring him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof over the place where he was. They dug through it and let down the mat on which the paralyzed man was lying.

When Jesus saw their faith, he told the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.”

Now some scribes were sitting there, arguing among themselves, “Why does this man talk this way? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

At once, Jesus knew in his spirit what they were saying to themselves. “Why are you arguing about such things among yourselves?” he asked them. “Which is easier: to say to the paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or ‘Get up, pick up your mat, and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins…” Then he told the paralyzed man, “I say to you, get up, pick up your mat, and go home!” So the man got up, immediately picked up his mat, and went out in front of all of them.

As a result, all of the people were amazed and began to glorify God as they kept on saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”

Jesus Calls Matthew

Jesus went out again beside the sea. The whole crowd kept coming to him, and he kept teaching them. As he was walking along, he saw Levi, the son of Alphaeus, sitting at the tax collector’s desk. Jesus told him, “Follow me!” So Levi got up and followed him.

Later, he was having dinner at Levi’s house. Many tax collectors and sinners were also eating with Jesus and his disciples, because there were many who were following him. When the scribes and the Pharisees saw him eating with sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples, “Why does he eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

When Jesus heard that, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a physician, but sick ones do. I did not come to call righteous people, but sinners.”

A Question about Fasting

Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees would fast regularly. Some people came and asked Jesus, “Why do John’s disciples and the Pharisees’ disciples fast, but your disciples don’t fast?”

Jesus replied, “The wedding guests can’t fast while the groom is with them, can they? As long as they have the groom with them, they can’t fast. But the time will come when the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day.”

The Unshrunk Cloth

“No one patches an old garment with a piece of unshrunk cloth. If he does, the patch pulls away from it—the new from the old—and a worse tear is made. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will make the skins burst, and both the wine and the skins will be ruined. Instead, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath

Jesus happened to be going through the grain fields on a Sabbath. As they made their way, his disciples began picking the heads of grain. The Pharisees asked him, “Look! Why are they doing what is not lawful on Sabbath days?”

He asked them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? How was it that he went into the House of God during the lifetime of Abiathar the high priest and ate the Bread of the Presence, which was not lawful for anyone but the priests to eat, and gave some of it to his companions?”

Then he told them, “The Sabbath was made for people, not people for the Sabbath. Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”
Some context:

Houses had flat roofs made of wood and dirt, and people would sometimes go up to sit on the roof. There were ladders and not stairs, though, so taking a crippled person up there, let alone breaking the roof, would have been challenging.

Tax collectors were people who paid the Roman Empire in exchange for the ability to collect taxes of their own people, which was seen as kind of crappy.

Travelers "stealing" a small amount of grain was customarily accepted and was not really regarded as theft or in any way dishonest or immoral. It was an unspoken rule that they're welcome to take some for themselves as they travel, as long as it's because they're hungry and no other reasons. Certainly not to sell.

Some questions to discuss:

Part 1:
1.) What do you think is so great about what the friends of the crippled man did that impressed Jesus so much?
2.) Mark seems to suggest Jesus is a telepath. What's your thoughts on this?
3.) Do you think people knew Jesus was the Son of God right away after witnessing this miracle? What about the teachers who confronted Jesus?

Part 2:
4.) Why do you think Jesus singled out Levi to invite?
5.) What do you think Jesus' response here says about the church today?

Part 3:
6.) What do you make of Jesus' analogies here? I'll admit they're somewhat confusing to me.

Part 4:
7.) Jesus seems to be saying that it is lawful to harvest grain on the Sabbath if one truly needs to. How far do you believe this tolerance for breaking religious laws goes? Presumably Jesus isn't suggesting that we are free to do whatever we want.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile WWW

1) I feel like there's some cultural context that I'm missing. the obvious answer is it is their faith that we are to be impressed by, and perhaps that's all that needs done, but i'm sure there's additional context offered in terms of the social import of what they did, that I'm not aware of.

2) Telepath is PROBABLY a loaded word. I don't think he implied Jesus reads minds. Rather, he "knows truth." It could also be as simple, as Jesus is wise enough and sees the hearts of man, and knows what they would have been talking about from that alone.

3) Some did. I KINDA get the impression that people were rather impressionable, though, to be fair, if I saw someone heal someone miraculously, I'd probably believe what they had to say.

4) This I'm not sure about. What role does Levi have in the rest of scripture, and historically?

5) There's no doubt that church has become intimately intertwined with culture to have removed it's original intent. Furthermore, this is a difficult issue of conflicting scripture; we can say "church is meant for sinners" but we also see it talked about in scripture about how, if sinners refuse to change, we are to cast them from the assembly. There's some context that needs elaborating in these cases.

6) I'm honestly not sure. It seems like something that would extend from the discussion with the pharisees, but I'm failing to honestly draw a meaningful comparison.

7) I feel like this is opening up a very touchy, but very important discussion, on the notion of "that which causes you to sin" as well as the purpose and intent of scripture, literalism vs relativism, and so forth that...people get really upset about XP

-G.K. Chesterton

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next