Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Question about Blaspheme 

Furrhan Blackwood wrote:
Another one that really irks me is using God as an intensifier. E.g. "God-awful". To me that makes no sense as God most definitely is not awful and I find it quite offensive. What about you?

I think it's actually hilarious, as it literally means 'full of awe' (for God). If one is awful for someone else, they must really think very little of themselves..

Furrhan Blackwood wrote:
I also can't stand when people twist it a bit too (e.g. "Jaysus") and think that's okay.

Seconded, but in my case because if you swear, then at least be honest about it.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 am
Site Administrator

I've always been a little miffed when people say things like "oh my gods" because it comes across as deliberately trying to stick it to Christianity (or at least Abrahamic religion), though it's very possible that's just me being really sensitive.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:05 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
I've always been a little miffed when people say things like "oh my gods" because it comes across as deliberately trying to stick it to Christianity (or at least Abrahamic religion), though it's very possible that's just me being really sensitive.

That's not common vernacular, and I'm not even sure people say that in polytheistic religions, so that just sounds either special snowflake or purposefully controversial.

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:27 am

The only time I accept "oh my gods" is in things like the Percy Jackson books because they're specifically and obviously referring to the Greek gods that no one follows any more. :P

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Last edited by Furrhan Blackwood on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Yeah I give a pass for (certain) fantasy settings!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:20 am
Profile WWW

I will admit, I find it literarily blasphemous but somehow adorable when books create in universe profanity. It breaks the flow and lacks the emphasis but I think it's a kinda neat thing to recognize and is often kinda goofy~

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm
Lady Sloth

What if it's done to *avoid* offending Christians? Swearing by the dead elder gods or w/e isn't taking the Christian God's name in vain.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Yaknow I never thought of that...

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile WWW

I'll admit: I created a religion for a world in my stories. Christianity can be seen shimmering through, but it also has great differences. Why, you ask? I didn't do it just to avoid having to take control of God. It was more some sort of experiment, but it's kinda interesting too. It made me realise what you really need to make a religion and get it to work. You can ask me if you want me to tell more- I'll keep it at this here.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2