Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Bibles! 

Yesterday I was in London, picking up a book a friend had bought on my behalf, an antiquarian Bible. This was somewhat bigger than imagined (15.5"x10"x4"). Pictures were requested and are linked.
A little about it, it is an Authorised Version (King James Bible) from before the spelling reforms. Included is Rev T Bankes' commentary prepared at the request of the Bishop of Hereford. It was sold as sheets, that is loose and was bound later either by the purchaser or a professional bookbinder on behalf of the purchaser. It appears initially to have been sold by subscription only (Kickstarter and GoFundMe are nothing new!). I'll try and add more pictures as I go.

The pictures are too large: they're here: https://twitter.com/ChurchFuzz/status/817330482086084608

(B.F. Westcott)

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

That's super cool!

I was fairly amused by "Be particularly careful to place the Apocrypha between the Old Testament and New Testament."

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
That's super cool!

I was fairly amused by "Be particularly careful to place the Apocrypha between the Old Testament and New Testament."

Yeah, that made me smile - nice and precise.
I'm going to have to do more digging, but I think that that page should have been removed by the binder, so that's nerdily interesting.

(B.F. Westcott)

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 am
Profile WWW

On the topic of bibles, what versions do we all use for our day-to-day use or study?

I have a NIV but it's aimed at young teens and I'd like to upgrade to a NRV since I know the NRV is a more accurate translation. What do you all have?

@Francis: Do you know exactly when that old bible was printed? It looks really cool!

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 am
Profile WWW

I use the KJV

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:06 am
Site Administrator

I have an old KJV that a friend gave me, and that's what I used when I read the whole Bible. Nowadays I mostly use either online Bibles or whatever there is in my family's church's pews (NIV I think?)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:19 am
Profile WWW

I use NRSV for academic work (University rules) and generally have an RSV on my desk.

@Furrhan - I'm still trying to find out when it was printed, but I'm guessing early 19th Century.

(B.F. Westcott)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 am
Profile WWW

I had a teacher in high school who translated and published his own version of the Bible. :P
I haven't read his though. I generally use ESV or NLT, but it doesn't really matter to me. I'm generally not fond of older translations like the KJV though.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:47 am
Site Administrator

They are kinda hard to read.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

They're lovely for poetry, but not so hot on accuracy in translating the Greek and Hebrew.

(B.F. Westcott)

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 am
Profile WWW

It's been a while since I actually read large parts, but I used to do that in a (Dutch) Naarden translation.

Online I usually use KJV, crosschecked with the other English translations that Blue Letter Bible has available by default. If I want to check an alternative view of a verse from the NBG translation we use in church, I usually use the Statenvertaling because I have it on my phone (the SV is one of the few copyright-free Dutch translations.) I also have the KJV, the French Darcy 2006 and a German translation on it, which occasionally comes in handy.

I mostly look up things to have more context around the fragments people tend to quote.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]