Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Lent is upon us! 
Site Administrator

The season of fasting begins this Wednesday (Ash Wednesday) and lasts until Easter.

What do you/your denomination do for Lent? I'm going to be fasting from my mobile browser and from soda. It'll be tough but hopefully will help me focus on God!

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:58 am
Profile WWW

Yay, it's tomorrow. Eep!
I'm: giving up pudding (dessert), drinking less, hiking more and not doing social media on Wednesdays.
Also, I'm going to start wearing a purple neck warmer (because Lent is liturgically coloured purple and I like my neck warmers.).

(B.F. Westcott)

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am
Profile WWW

I drink far more soda than I should, so I'm also giving up soda for Lent.

This won't be much fun, as there are days I really need the caffeine, but I also don't need the calories.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am
Profile WWW

I'm gonna search up what in the world Lent is.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 pm
Profile WWW

@Quelami: de vastentijd

I'm not eating any snacks and sweets on weekdays, but I've been doing that since before Christmas already, so that doesn't really count :)

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 pm

No more simple carbs for lent (bread, cookies, biscuits, etc.) So far so good. But i really want a cookie

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:55 pm

I've never done Lent. It wasn't a thing in my church at all.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

My church doesn't do Lent, but I'm going to give up excesses in red meat, sugars, salt, and cheese. I need to be a better steward of the body God blessed me with.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 am

I don't really do anything for Lent. I want to decrease the things I need to do less anyways, Lent or not.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

That's a good way of looking at it. A lot of people use Lent like some sort of diet. But if it's something you truly should be stopping anyway, don't make it about Lent then!

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:04 am
Profile WWW

Ummm... I might have to disagree Sleet, but only very mildly. The idea behind Lent (something Christians have been keeping since the 4th Century), is not to give something up for ourselves, but to allow us to get closer to Christ and his suffering. We are invited to use Lent as a time to bring ourselves closer to God.

It's great to use the time to give something up, or better take something on to help our fellow people.
Giving up something for Lent is excellent, not considering it a religious based diet is even more excellent.

Also, (message to me) this shouldn't be a time of moping about - as Christ tells us: 'Woe unto you, you Pharisees, who go about disfiguring your faces and looking mournful when you fast. Instead, when you fast, be cheerful.'
Apologies for the bad paraphrase.

Feel free to pull me up on anything too!

Happy Lent.

EDIT: [cos I'm a total prawn]: don't let this put you off giving something up! Do it, you'll get a lot out of it!

(B.F. Westcott)

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

The part of that that rubs me the wrong way, though, is the idea of Easter, when you break the fast and celebrate Christ's resurrection. If you give up, say, smoking, for Lent, it doesn't seem like you're really honoring Christ by smoking two packs on Easter.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

Sure, I understand that, Sleet. That's why I suggest taking something on as well. Giving up a vice (say smoking) for Lent as the way in to giving up for good is excellent. Certainly going through two packets of cigarettes on Easter Day is not the way to celebrate the Resurrection - celebrating life by smoking something that's probably gonna shorten yours is a bit daft.

I find Lent really hard, every single year. Last year was a real struggle, and Easter Day didn't feel like the end, sadly. Praying for a better Lent/Easter this year.

(B.F. Westcott)

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Sure, Lent was created to get closer to God. However, since that's the main goal of Christianity anyways, I think I should get closer to God in my everyday life. I want to take it further than just Lent.

The church I regularly go to doesn't do anything with Lent either, but we have a special meeting in the evening of Good Friday to remind ourselves of what Jesus did for us.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]