Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Easter's coming up! 
Site Administrator

What are all your plans for Easter? I'll be going to church with my family and then having lunch afterward. Sadly, I have to work afterward. :/ As a medical worker we don't get days off so we have to cycle holidays.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

Probably just spending most of the weekend doing tech for the Easter service. As it's a special service, it's probably even more chaotic and complicated than normal (and longer, so more work to digest it into a CD.)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm

I did manage to get sunday night off. So instead of getting an extra hour at work to have a semi decent meal. I will be spending time with family at church then it sounds like I get to spend some time having dinner with my sister and my brother in law, and after my dad wants to go see a movie.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:18 pm

I spent 2nd Easter day with my grandparents. Boring.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:18 pm

I spent 7 hours working on my dissertation! :D

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I worked 15 hours with a fifteen minute break.

(B.F. Westcott)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

Tayi wrote:
As it's a special service, it's probably even more chaotic and complicated than normal

Well, that was an understatement. After pasting two e-mails together, I had all of 10 lines of planning. That was it.
The song projection list was filed under January, not April. Bible verses were not entered into the projection system. More than half of the songs were not available in the projection system (Easter-specific lyrics, songs that were sung in English instead of Dutch or just songs that were too recent.)

It's already hard enough to stay in sync when the speaker tells the congregation what is coming up (because it's not always what's in the projection list). This time they decided to go without cues altogether.
When the teenagers started to perform their piece of drama, I just threw up my hands at the person on stage to indicate that I had no clue at all what they were going to do, which music they needed, if anyone would be speaking and, if yes, into which microphone.

In the end, they just needed music and they performed a very nice interpretative dance of how we lose contact with God through all kinds of distractions life throws at us, but how God eventually gives us a safe space, even if we can't reach Him ourselves anymore.

Tayi wrote:
(and longer, so more work to digest it into a CD.)

At least I already have the first cut done and it fits onto a CD without having to choose songs to throw away, that's something to be happy about :)

Now it's just a matter of fixing equalization and compression so that we get a somewhat consistent sound. Not easy, because I messed up equalization on one of the microphones (switched type after rehearsal) and on another one I had to put a singer, trumpet *and* a piano. I think we need more microphones.

Before the service, the other techs were hoping that everything would go well. I crushed that hope immediately. I told them that "things *will* go wrong, but we will be able to handle them." And we were able to.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]