Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Charles Colson on the Resurrection 
Site Administrator

Charles Colson wrote:
I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned, and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world - and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.
I thought this was a neat quote. :3

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 am
Profile WWW

He's right!

There are three possibilities.
1.) The Apostles were lying
2.) The Apostles were crazy
3.) The Apostles were telling the truth.

1.) As we know, they were beaten, tortured and executed yet never wavered in their story. You don't do that for something you know is a lie.
2.) Their writings are very clear and coherent and don't show any signs of mental issues. Additionally they all saw Jesus after he was risen and hallucinations are unique to the individual which means there's no way they'd all have seen the same thing.

So since we can easily dismiss options 1 and 2, the only remaining one is 3, that they were telling the truth.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:19 am
Profile WWW

I'll admit I'm not as up to date on my early church history as I should be, but I always found it an interesting argument how much inconvenience much of the process would have caused. That it was never politically, financially, or socially beneficial to argue the things that were argued suggests that, whether or not you think it was true (which I do), the apostles and early believers certainly did.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]