Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Bible passages. 

What are some of your favorite bible passages? Ones that give you hope or helped you through tough times, or ones that were just interesting to read for you, maybe something that is just hostorically fascinating.

At my parents church the pastor refers to hebrews 11 as the "Hall of faith" since it discusses those that beleived in God and had faith in him through the tough times and saw his promises fulfilled.

There is also ecclesiasties, which I could be wrong as it has been some time, but the entire book is about vanity in the things of this world but God being eternal (i could be wrong, i may need to read it again. We should talk about it here though). I had one person who refered to it a lot, not in a negative way but positive in that there is a heaven that won't be going away like whats here. Or something like that.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 pm

I have a few. The first that comes to mind is Jeremiah 29:11-13
Quote:
11 For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. 12 Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. 13 When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart

Philippians 4:13
Quote:
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me

Isaiah 40:28-31
Quote:
Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
and strengthens the powerless.
Even youths will faint and be weary,
and the young will fall exhausted;
but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint.

1 Corinthians 10:13
Quote:
13 No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.

Romans 5:1-5
Quote:
1 Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand; and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.

I'll add more later on as I think of them. Those are some that are particularly helpful to me though.

These are all taken from the NRSV, by the way.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 am
Profile WWW

John ??:13
"I say this to you so you will have peace in me. I assure you: You shall go through a lot of trouble in the world, but fear not: I have conquered the world."
1 Corinthians 11:13
"Now these three remain: Hope, faith and love, but the greatest of these is love."

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 am

Some that I recall, from King James Version:

2 Corinthians 5

7: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

17: Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are past away; behold, all things are become new.

Romans

8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

One I found by random going through bookmarks:

Matthew

7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]