Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Baptism 
Site Administrator

What are your thoughts on this? Do you get baptized as a baby or as an adult? Once baptized, always baptized, or is there reason to have multiple baptisms?

Personally I believe one baptism is sufficient, at any age, though one should confirm their baptism later in life. I think extra baptisms aren't blasphemous, but also a little tacky.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

Something I did kinda admire about the church of christ was that they were very big into scripture. I always thought it was odd that they argued that "you can't be saved without baptism." But they did have a point that, in terms of those who were saved (not by christ) in the new testament, they were all baptised.

so my issue is that it doesn't reflect the spirit of scripture, but I can accept that it seems to reflect the literalness of it.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 am

I think that in general one is indeed enough, but the difference between a bapthesising in a young age is that you should confirm it, while on a later age that is unnecesary since it's your own decision. A second one? Hm. I think that it isn't necissarily tacky, but it's always a reprise. It can be used to show your determination or to strengthen your faith, but if it's just for show it's pretty really useless.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:55 am

From what I've studied, baptism (as a Sacrament) should only ever happen once, because it a) only happened once to Jesus; and b) the Holy Spirit in baptism leaves an indelible mark on the soul. That is to say: baptism changes people in a permanent way.

The Anglican Communion throughout the world practises infant baptism as a rule (though members who join as unbaptised adults are baptised.) The logic being that joining the family of faith is like joining any other family, it can happen at any time.

TomIsAwesome wrote:
I always thought it was odd that they argued that "you can't be saved without baptism."

This made me stop and stare, but probably because the Church of England teaches that salvation is not purely dependent on baptism.

I would say that re-baptism is a less than good thing, as it is saying that God wasn't working in the original baptism and that limits the power of God. This is, of course, different from re-affirming baptismal vows as an adult - it's a difference of attitude.

I was baptised at four months old (it would have been sooner but I was a special care baby), and apparently screamed so loudly that Rev Bruce (the priest who baptised me) still has tinnitus!

(B.F. Westcott)

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am
Profile WWW

For me, I think baptism needs to be a choice. Personally I consider baptism as a baby more a blessing than an actual baptism since to me baptism is a public affirmation and declaration of your faith and it's a conscious step to signify that you are indeed a saved Christian. I do also believe in the whole spiritual side of it - being anointed by the power of the Holy Spirit, etc, but I don't believe that it's necessary to be saved since it says in the Bible that the only way to be saved is to put your faith in Christ.

Another thing we haven't touched on yet in this thread is sprinkling versus dunking. What does your church do?
The churches I've been to have always dunked since that's the way it was done in the bible.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

My family's church does sprinkling but I think either is valid!

Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 am
Profile WWW

In ecumenical (inter-church) understanding, dunk, sprinkle, or gently pour water of the person to be baptised is equally valid, as long as the Trinity is invoked.
In fact, a non-Christian can baptise someone as a Christian in an emergency.

(B.F. Westcott)

Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 am
Profile WWW

Hmm. I wonder. Is it possible to baptise oneself?

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am
Profile WWW

Strictly speaking yes. But it would be irregular and only acceptable in a life and death emergency.

(B.F. Westcott)

Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

What would constitute an emergency in which a non-Christian could baptize?

Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am
Profile WWW

Imminent death of a newly born child normally. With the parents sincerely wishing for baptism.

(B.F. Westcott)

Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 am
Profile WWW

Baptism by immersion is how we do it in my church. In my church, it is believed to be symbolic of the rising of the spiritually reborn from the death of sin. Water is typically below ground level - so it represents being buried; rising up symbolizes rebirth. At the same time, water is a cleansing agent, a symbol for becoming spiritually clean. Additionally, at church we take the sacrament (communion) each week to renew our baptismal covenant to be clean and show our willingness to take Christ's name upon us, because it is through Christ that man is able to become clean again.

Fri May 05, 2017 12:54 pm

That's how it was in the church I grew up in too, Doug. ^^
I miss the good old days in that church. It was a great church. ^^

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]