Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Finding a new church 
Site Administrator

For the first time in my life I moving out of town and I'm a bit intimidated with trying to find a new church, introducing myself, etc. Do any of y'all have experience with church finding?

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am
Profile WWW

A little from where I've moved around.

The way I see it, if you're visiting a church and struggling to talk to people and people aren't talking to you then perhaps you need to move on to another church.

I tried three churches in Townsville. I won't name names but there was one where I liked the worship style but before and after the service everyone had their own little cliques and no one approached you so you definitely felt like an outsider. Then there was a really big one which I enjoyed and which was dynamic and outgoing but which was just a bit too big to really get to know anyone or to feel like part of a community. But at least it gave you free dinner each week if you were a uni student! The third church was smaller and quieter but had a better sense of community. I also felt it was a bit too conservative for my taste and that it read too much between the lines and added meaning to bible passages that wasn't there at times.

In the end I settled with the second church since it was the most convenient and it was kinda fun even if I didn't know anyone.

Down here in Hobart though I only tried one church and that was the Kingborough Family Church and it was amazing. From the moment you stepped through the door everyone wanted to meet you and get to know you and introduce you to all their friends and to the church family. The worship was heartfelt and the services interesting and applicable and also the church was connected to the community, regularly providing meals and food for the homeless and struggling. To me it's exactly what a church should be.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you just have to get out there and try some churches and when you find a good one that suits you you'll definitely know! Definitely do google churches in the area and get some reviews too. That helped me find KFC.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
For the first time in my life I moving out of town and I'm a bit intimidated with trying to find a new church, introducing myself, etc. Do any of y'all have experience with church finding?

I've historically used Church finding as a social thing; where are my friends going, where is my family going, etc. So when I moved to grad school I had to figure that out for myself. I'll admit, something that rang true to me was a comment that a professor had made at undergrad. In short, he railed against the notion of "church shopping." that is, bouncing between churches until you find one that fits you perfectly. In his interpretation, its good for our faith and our perspective to hear some things that are different.

SO what I might recommend is look for proximity; things that are close by and easy to get too. If you have a few key tenets that are important to you, then hold on to them, but maybe it'll be good to go somewhere that worships a little outside your comfort zone, or has some practices you're not familiar with.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 pm

That's definitely true too, Tom.

But also keep your eyes open for red flags. Better to not go to church at all than to go to one that's preaching dangerous or false doctrine.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe try going to a Mormon church; ask about possibilities for fellowshipping if you don't feel comfortable going to the church services.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 pm
Site Administrator

Furrhan Blackwood wrote:
But also keep your eyes open for red flags. Better to not go to church at all than to go to one that's preaching dangerous or false doctrine.
Yeeeeah that is kinda a fear of mine. I'm scared of liking a church and going for several weeks and starting to feel at home and then suddenly the preacher is like "And in a sense all religions are true!"
or "we need to stand up to the homosexual agenda!"
TomIsAwesome wrote:
In short, he railed against the notion of "church shopping." that is, bouncing between churches until you find one that fits you perfectly. In his interpretation, its good for our faith and our perspective to hear some things that are different.

SO what I might recommend is look for proximity; things that are close by and easy to get too. If you have a few key tenets that are important to you, then hold on to them, but maybe it'll be good to go somewhere that worships a little outside your comfort zone, or has some practices you're not familiar with.
Huh that's pretty interesting! It did kinda help out when I went to a Catholic church at college. :3

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:27 pm
Profile WWW

That's a great isle to cross, Protestantism to Catholicism. It tends to feel very different and can be very enlightening. I would just say, know that where you're going has a thriving christian community so you'll have plenty of options! Figure out what principles you're not going to compromise on, pray about it, and try a few! There's nothing wrong with picking one just because its convenient; maybe you'll learn something there!

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm
Site Administrator

Went to a nice Lutheran church like 5-10 minutes from my apartment! The service was nice, the church was beautiful, and the congregation was pretty big! However there weren't a lot of people my age. There were parents of young kids and there were older people, but in my age range there weren't many. That was a little disappointing, but I'm not counting it out! I'll try another church next week.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

I know what you mean. The first interactions with a new group of people are the hardest.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:46 am
Site Administrator

Yeah. Though the pastor of both churches I've visited so far (I also had a Methodist church I went to last week!) were really nice and welcoming, which helped. Also, I think I like the Methodist church I visited a little better. I'm gonna keep trying churches for a few weeks though!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

I've always been part of small denominations where you just go to the closest church to you that's part of that denomination (Church of Christ& Eastern Orthodox). If there was more than one Orthodox Church I'd go to whichever needed me in the choir.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

So the Presbyterian church I was going to turned out to not actually be Presbyterian (I found some incorrect information online) and they said some... not welcoming things that took me by surprise. So not going there anymore! I tried a UCC church which was huge and vibrant which was cool, though the sermon was a bit off for me. I think I may try the Methodist church I've had good luck with thus far!

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]