Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Science and Religion Are Compatible 

I've heard that religion may try to demonize or ignore science because that is the only way religion can exist. It could be hard for many to believe in the vast majority of current science and God. However, I personally believe God could have created the universe with the Big Bang. Here I will compare Bible verses from the New International Version to astrophysics.

Genesis 1:1-8

"1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

The solar system would have been a cloud of gas and dust in the nebular hypothesis 4.6 billion years ago. The planets would have yet to form. The sun would have to gain enough mass to exist as well in the darkness.

"3 And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light 'day,' and the darkness he called 'night.' And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

During the formation of the sun, there is eventually enough heat and pressure for fusion of hydrogen into helium to occur. Now you have the birth of a star and the light it emits. That is assuming light existed before the solar systems formation because the Big Bang took place 13.82 billion years ago. Maybe this verse just refers to the sun as a huge source of light to the system.

"6 And God said, 'Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.' 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault 'sky.' And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day."

It seems comets and asteroids delivered most of earth's water. The water evaporated from the heat of entry, and the earth was still very hot. When the earth cooled later, condensation occured providing oceans, seas, and lakes. Some water would remain as clouds.

2 Peter 3:8

"8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

Time can be quite relative. Perhaps God worked in millions and even billions of years, but that concept was too far ahead of what humans knew during Biblical times.

Last edited by Viktor ze Husky on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm

I like your interpretation, and I of course agree that science and religion are not at odds

The approach I take is, I tend to read a very large part of the Old Testament, especially Genesis, as a literary parable rather than literal history. After all, one of Jesus' favorite ways to teach was through the use of parables. I think the Old Testament was meant more to teach rather than to record history (though there are parts of it that are obviously history records). kind of a tangent here, but I also agree with the notion a lot of Bible scholars have that the books of Job and Jonah are most likely parables as well, though they may have been based on real people. That doesn't mean they're any less valuable or insightful though!

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 pm
Site Administrator

That's some good insight! I never thought of some of those verses like that. I really like the use of 2 Peter 3:8 here.
Koshka wrote:
After all, one of Jesus' favorite ways to teach was through the use of parables.
And the Son and the Father are one and the same, after all!

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:16 am
Profile WWW

I'm glad you guys liked it.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 am

Viktor ze Husky wrote:
Time can be quite relative. Perhaps God worked in millions and even billions of years, but that concept was too far ahead of what humans knew during Biblical times.

I'd say it even stronger: time, including its directionality, is merely a feature of our universe and God cannot be omnipotent if He is bound by the limitations of His creation, including time. This would actually mean that the use of time in Gen. 1 is nonsensical. If God is not bound by our time, He could just as easily have created the earth at some point and then gone back in time a couple of billion years to add the concept of light because that would be necessary for the life He intended to put on the earth a few days later (for whatever a 'day' would mean.)

It would also mean that it's very well possible that He created the earth 6000 years ago, but we can never know by observation because He created the universe with a history and that history is the only thing that we can know and see. Our universe is consistent with its history so what we see is what we have to work with. That said, there are a few instances where the Bible tells us that our universe wasn't consistent with its history: these are the moments where miracles happened.

For me, it doesn't matter at all whether the universe was created >4G years ago, 6k years ago or just before lunchtime today, what matters is what we have been asked to do here and now. I also have no issues praying for something that happened in the past, as long as I can not possibly have any information of what the actual outcome was. Kinda like praying for Schroedinger's cat.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:34 pm
Site Administrator

In my mind, God exists outside of time (since, as you said, He created it after all), and He hears and acts, though does so timelessly. An answered prayer would appear as if it was always going to happen because it was set in motion at the beginning of the universe.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:14 pm
Profile WWW

One of my favorite analogies for why we can't expect God to follow the rules of time the way we do is "Would you build an aquarium and then decide to live in it?" :P

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]