Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Aliens 

So you've probably all heard scientists saying that it's statistically unlikely we're alone in the universe. Whether or not there is someone out there I don't know.

My question is this though: extra-terrestrials are never mentioned in the bible as far as I'm aware. So if they do exist how do you think they would fit into a Christian worldview and what impact or implications do you think they'd have for Christian theology?

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

The way I see it, Jesus of Nazareth died for humans and only humans. But God is the creator of all and He's the God of aliens as well!

An idea that I've had is that we have the Trinity (Creator, Logos, Holy Spirit). And the second Person, Logos ("The Word"), became flesh as Jesus. Fully human, but also fully God. The way I see it, if there are other sapient beings out there in need of salvation (we don't even know if they had a "Fall" like we did), then Logos would manifest to them as well in His own way. The same person as Jesus, but not a male Palestinian Jew named "Jesus." This being would be fully God and also fully whatever-instead-of-human. God has His own covenant with all His people, and the one we know is just for humanity.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:43 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet said basically what I was thinking; if we ever discover and communicate with sentient life then I wouldn't be surprised if they had a similar cultural figure as Jesus; though I imagine their religion surrounding said figure would be drastically different from ours, perhaps even the values and morals espoused by that religion would be different, though if it's the same Jesus then it'd be based on unconditional love above all.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

I dunno, some of the Angel descriptions in the bible seem pretty alien to me(Ophanim, anyone?).

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

Well, God created our world - it's not too big a stretch to believe an eternal and omnipotent god created more worlds than this one.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 am

I'm sure we've all created a fantasy world of our own in some way...
However, that's off topic and doesn't sketch a reliable view of aliens.
But it doesn't mean that none of them actually exist. Or, alternatively, that no other body in the universe has life. And even then, we can only guess wether or not they even have religion in the first place.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]