Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Struggling with God by Mark McEntire 

I just finished rereading Struggling with God: an Introduction to the Pentateuch by Mark McEntire. This is a wonderfully written and informative text on the first five books of the Old Testament and a great companion to Lawrence Boadt's book that I posted about here

What I like most about this text is how McEntire uses both form criticism and historical criticism to show how the books of the Pentateuch are all connected to each other. He also doesn't dismiss the historical findings made by researchers in the past. He uses source method as a companion to the form method and encourages theological thinkers not dismiss either what is written in text or what historical research has to offer. He shows the strengths and weaknesses of various theories about how the Pentateuch was arranged and put together, and encourages students to engage the text (as one day we may come to understand the reason and meaning behind some of the more difficult sections that researchers have so far not been able to agree upon). He also does a good job at explaining what facts are generally accepted by most scholars.

All in all, this is a great book to read. It's not highly technical and full of jargon, but I would recommend reading the Pentateuch and Boadt before McEntire (so as to be familiar with some of the theories and historical information mentioned in the book). :D

My next set of readings will be on the O.T. Prophets. I may post a list of of articles and chapters from other books that I found helpful for studying the Pentateuch. If anyone is interested, let me know below.

Mercury: * fy mjcsf sfzobset * cpoft * lopdl boe uif epps tibmm cf pqfofe *

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]