Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I believe in Christ. I'm a Mormon. Let's talk. 

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, whose members are commonly known as Mormons or LDS. We believe in Christ. We consider ourselves to be Christians. And yet there are always those who try to tell us we aren't Christian. Including recently some in FFC. It's okay. I'm not offended. Let's talk about it.

For starters, several years ago I wrote up a blog post on this very topic. It's still very relevant today. If you have any interest in understanding my beliefs about the Savior, please, give it a read:
http://josh3cents.blogspot.com/2012/09/are-mormons-christian.html

Now while I'm sure there are those who would call us non-Christian in order to be contentious, I'm also sure that for others, their reasons for saying so are much more benign. As I mentioned in the blog post, they may have their own understanding of what the word "Christian" means, which doesn't mesh with our own. To be frank, if I don't fall into one particular definition of what it means to be Christian, then it follows that I must not be Christian, according to that definition. But that statement is kind of tautological, and not very meaningful.

That said, it's only fair to say that since we claim to be Christians while so many non-Mormon Christians say we aren't, we must have a definition of the word that differs from theirs. If you'd like more info from an official source about why we consider ourselves to be Christian, there's an excellent article on the subject written by our Church. It outlines three primary reasons others frequently claim we aren't Christians, as well as why we still claim to be Christians in spite of those reasons. You can read it here:
https://www.lds.org/topics/christians

If anyone still has questions or concerns about this, by all means, let's talk about it. I only ask that (1) you take the time to read the two articles I shared above first, and (2) you sincerely try to understand our beliefs, rather than merely pointing out why you think they're wrong. I promise to do the same. Let's take the opportunity to have a civil, friendly, and enlightening chat. Not necessarily to convert one another, but first and foremost to understand one another. :)

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

I think what many people mean when they say that Mormons aren't Christian is that Mormons are non-Trinitarian. I think it would be more accurate to simply call Mormons a type of non-Trinitarian Christian.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm
Profile WWW

Tica wrote:
I think what many people mean when they say that Mormons aren't Christian is that Mormons are non-Trinitarian. I think it would be more accurate to simply call Mormons a type of non-Trinitarian Christian.

And I would be 100% okay with that. Because it's true, we don't believe in the concept of the Trinity as defined by post-New Testament Christian creeds. We don't even use the term "Trinity" to refer to Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost (in English anyway). We use the term "Godhead." We believe Them to be distinct individuals, to be completely united in purpose, but each fulfilling a different purpose in the great Plan of Salvation.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Tica wrote:
I've seen plenty of people say that being non-Trinitarian makes them not Christian, though.

Note that I don't agree with that.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
I've seen plenty of people say that being non-Trinitarian makes them not Christian, though.

Note that I don't agree with that.

Indeed. I had a seminary teacher tell us once about a conversation he had with someone who claimed Mormons weren't Christian. When he asked why they thought that, they said essentially the same thing: that we don't believe in the Trinity as defined by the Christian creeds. He admitted that "No, we do not fall into that definition of the word 'Christian.'" And proceeded to explain why we still consider ourselves Christians.

I hope nobody thinks that being non-Trinitarian in any way diminishes our reverence, respect, love, adoration etc. towards Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, or the Holy Ghost, nor our opinion of their divinity and infinite holiness. We unequivocally reject the idea that Jesus was no more than an extraordinary teacher. On the contrary, we believe the words that He spoke on numerous occasions when he declared Himself to be Divine.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 pm
Profile WWW

When I was growing up, being non-trinitarian wasn't why I was taught that Mormons weren't Christians; the reason always given to me as to why Mormons aren't Christians is that they accept the testimony of Joseph Smith, and can't possibly be Christians because Joseph Smith must be a liar (similar to the reason given why Muslims can't get into heaven; they accept Mohammed and we don't).

Eventually as I grew up and started to un-learn what had been drilled into my head about other belief systems, as well as actually talking to some Mormons, I realized that there really wasn't all that much difference (if any) in the basic tenets of faith between mainline Christians and Mormons; both strive to follow the examples and teachings of Jesus, both worship Him and the Father above all gods, both are founded on unconditional love, etc etc. I don't necessarily agree that Joseph Smith was a prophet, but to me, that's just a sort of extraneous detail that doesn't qualify or disqualify somebody to be called Christian. My definition of Christian is, are you striving to show the world unconditional love the way Jesus did, following His example and trying to be like Him? if yes, then you're a Christian in my book.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 am

Koshka wrote:
When I was growing up, being non-trinitarian wasn't why I was taught that Mormons weren't Christians; the reason always given to me as to why Mormons aren't Christians is that they accept the testimony of Joseph Smith, and can't possibly be Christians because Joseph Smith must be a liar (similar to the reason given why Muslims can't get into heaven; they accept Mohammed and we don't).

Eventually as I grew up and started to un-learn what had been drilled into my head about other belief systems, as well as actually talking to some Mormons, I realized that there really wasn't all that much difference (if any) in the basic tenets of faith between mainline Christians and Mormons; both strive to follow the examples and teachings of Jesus, both worship Him and the Father above all gods, both are founded on unconditional love, etc etc. I don't necessarily agree that Joseph Smith was a prophet, but to me, that's just a sort of extraneous detail that doesn't qualify or disqualify somebody to be called Christian. My definition of Christian is, are you striving to show the world unconditional love the way Jesus did, following His example and trying to be like Him? if yes, then you're a Christian in my book.

All of this. I wish everyone felt this way about Christianity and Christians in general.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]