Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Post Your Service! 

Well, I helped one of my roommates with his talk (sermon) - I gave him a joke to use. So, my roommate is always away; one of the sayings of our church is to be in the world but not of the world. I told him he should say he's in the ward, but not of the ward (a ward is a congregation). It got a few chuckles - I'm glad I made people laugh.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 pm
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about Jesus and the Canaanite woman, specifically the account in Matthew. What the priest pointed out was that "Canaanite" was an antiquated term for Phoenicians, that Matthew specifically chose to call her (despite Mark, the first of the four Gospels), not using it. He compared it to calling a Swede a "Viking." Additionally, "dog" was extremely rude, which he compared to the N-word. Why was Jesus being so rude to this woman? He was testing her faith, because He knew that it would be tested again (as all ours was). Moved by the resilience of this gentile's faith, He healed her daughter.

Matthew 15:21-28 wrote:
21 Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:34 am
Profile WWW

The service I attended was pointed, if a bit controversial.

The thrust of the discussion was that many Christians focus so much on how their beliefs affect them (ie, "am I Saved or not?") that they either forget about or overlook the larger war going on. Satan's primary goal isn't, and has never been, about whether or not your or I am "Saved". He has always been aiming to dethrone God, and if he can use us to discredit our God, then he will.

This isn't to say that being Saved is unimportant -- it's extremely important -- it's just that it's only one part of a bigger picture.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about the chronically bleeding woman who worked her way through a dense crowd to see Jesus, and was healed just by touching his clothes.

The pastor emphasized that this was especially notable because she would have been considered ritually unclean, and her going out in a crowd like that when she isn't supposed to be touching anyone was huge. And also that she was hardly some paragon of faith; she barely knew of or understood Jesus. But Jesus said that even her faith was enough!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm
Profile WWW

We had a guest preacher today, with the sermon being mostly about how people leaving the church has nothing to do with the church, instead it's purely their own fault and selfishness. Nicely inflammatory.

What mostly bothers me about it is not the actual subject (if taken somewhat less black-and-white, it could be a very valid point to argue), but the distinct impression I got that there was something very wrong with his logic and reasoning. I'll see if I can go over it again and put my finger on it when I'm editing the recording.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:33 pm
Site Administrator

Made it to church for the first time in months because of my work schedule. The sermon was about Moses and the burning bush. God is always with us and will work through us whether we're up to the task or not.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

The pastor preached about people who have been paralyzed, and how people bringing hope to them (or anyone in need) gives them a look at the nature of God.

It was also the Sunday where this church gives third-graders their own Bibles. It was kinda cute, they were wrapped in gift wrap, then newspaper comics, and then sparkly gold paper in three layers, because the Bible is a gift, the Bible is stories, and the Bible is a treasure. I thought that was kinda cute!

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We had a sermon about how God used screw-ups in the past, like Abraham and Moses, and he continues to, through us. Two quotes that stuck out to me were "God doesn't need you to be perfect, He needs you to be available" and "I (God) have no hands and choose not to be a puppet master, so I need you to go out and help."

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14