Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Post Your Service! 

My pastor was in China last Sunday When I first heard I thought it was a joke. Nope. :lol: and about 150 of the 400 people that come regularly were on vacations and such, so it was especially empty-looking. I did play bass the 1st half and drums the 2nd because our bassist was gone and our main drummer is also our 2nd bassist (I'm the 3rd bassist and 2nd drummer).

Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 am
Profile YIM

Today we were baptising someone in our church, so we had a special service today. Problem was, the person that was getting baptised was from Afghanistan and could barely speak any English. He had to ask one of his friends to translate everything that was said to him into Farsi and everything he said into Dutch. That friend wasn't a Christian himself, so it was pretty difficult for him to understand what was going on. The service was a bit confusing due to that, but the most important thing is that it worked out just fine in the end.

Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our service was about faith and the Holy Spirit. The main messages were that in times of trouble, turning to our faith is important, but not because it will always give us answers. More often than not, our faith helps us find the right questions, and give us direction for our efforts. Also, we talked about being born again of the Spirit, and how part of it is being young again, full of wonder and open-mindedness. One who is born again may grow old in the flesh, but sees the kingdom of God (and Earth) through the eyes of a child, and does not get jaded.

Sun May 31, 2015 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

This week our service was about how to handle criticism and when people are unfairly negative toward you. The emphasis isntoakw sure to, above all else, show love to them. And make an effort to pray for them.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

It's the "Post Sleet's Service" thread again... >.>

Today we had a pastor from higher up in the UCC and he did great! He preached about Jesus calming the sea and how He doesn't just work miracles but also emboldens His followers to make change ourselves. He also spoke very strongly about the racist massacre, and how even a "crazy kid" has to get his ideas somewhere. He emphasized that a church needs to be speaking out and advocating for justice and not just leaving things fester. Which our church really needed to hear, considering it has shown zero desir to do any sort of advocacy that might take our white, heterosexual congregation out of their comfort zone.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I slept in today so here's some stuff from last week's service at an Episcopal church I went to:

There are so many parables about the Kingdom of God because they're easy to remember, bring God's message into our daily lives, get people interested in it and address concerns within the culture at large.

When was the last time someone asked you about the Kingdom? Next time they do, can you answer them?

There is no such "thing" as God or love. We know they exist because of their effects but they're not tangible "things." They're just being.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

An amusing point from today's Bible study:

A lot of people point out that our actions are a stronger witness than our words and that we should focus on witnessing by how we behave, but few mention that there's a really good example of this in the Bible.

Lazarus didn't go around preaching, he simply let his life do the talking.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Quote:
"Anybody here use Twitter?"

*Ian raises hand*

"How long can a Tweet be?"

"140 characters!"

"Yes, 140 characters. Jesus would have been a tweeter. He would have LOVED it because His message fits in a tweet: 'Love others as I have loved you.'"

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:05 pm
Profile WWW

Here's a doozy.

We often say the Bible is True. This does not mean that every statement recorded in the Bible is true. In fact, it's impossible for every statement to be true since many verses are quoting lies told by men or Satan. Instead, we mean that the work is trustworthy and its meaning is dependable.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about the purity laws in the OT and how Jesus said it's what's in our hearts that makes us clean or unclean. The vicar alluded to how disappointed he was that Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland is just a façade–there's really nothing inside! He also mentioned how the blighted potatoes during the Irish Famine were infected from the inside but looked fine outside.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Ours was the same thing! It was about how old rules serve a purpose but that purpose isn't always timeless. Plus the thing about what comes out of the mouth defiles, not what goes in.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Ian wrote:
...that Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland is just a façade–there's really nothing inside!

Not in ours! In Paris there is a stained-glass walkthrough of the story inside (and a couple of shops and a dragon in the cellar...)

I didn't get too much from our service today. We had guest musicians, so there was too much sound&projection madness going on.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Ian wrote:
the blighted potatoes during the Irish Famine were infected from the inside but looked fine outside.

Actually, potatoes with blight look shrunken from outside. So he was wrong about that too. :P

But he makes a good point despite picking bad examples. What's inside is definitely far more important than how things look from the outside.

UGuardian wrote:
Here's a doozy.

We often say the Bible is True. This does not mean that every statement recorded in the Bible is true. In fact, it's impossible for every statement to be true since many verses are quoting lies told by men or Satan. Instead, we mean that the work is trustworthy and its meaning is dependable.

That's true too. Yet so many people don't realise it and it causes so many issues and arguments.

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

The vicar referenced the Cheesemakers scene from "Monty Python's Life of Brian" in a sermon about mishearing the words of Jesus.

He also talked about a few crops we should plant in our lives: peas on Earth, squash out gossip, spend thyme in the Word, and turnip to serve others. Also "lettuce work together to serve God."

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:49 am
Profile WWW

Wow. *giggle* I like that, Ian! It's cheesy but I like it!

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We had a sermon about Acts and the welcoming of Gentiles among the Jews who followed Christ and how it's important to address our fears of outsiders, confront our prejudices, and welcome everybody just as the Holy Spirit did.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Today was my first time back at, well, any church in over a month. It was my "home church" downtown. The sermon was about the widow's offering in Mark's gospel. She was a social outcast who humbly gave all that she had instead of complaining that she didn't have enough. She had faith that institutions can be positively influenced.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I visited the Episcopal cathedral today! It was a really nice service. The sermon compared the prayers of Hannah in the Old Testament to Mary in the New Testament. The bishop also discussed Jesus's prophecy of the destruction of the temple, saying it is not end times prophecy like it's often taken, but rather of the end of the old order Christ was to overthrow.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:18 am
Profile WWW

My Church, Forest Park Covenant Church, had been doing a series focusing on the Churches of Revelation, and how it was written to the people of the day using imagery present at the time, and is not a representation of the future.
The lead pastor, though, was not there on Sunday, nor was the former temporary pastor there to preach on it, and our female pastor (who rarely gets to preach as she's supposed to be young-age Sunday School teacher) spoke only a few weeks before, so the Sunday School teacher for High School did one of his rare sermons to the Church, and it was about being ungrateful.

His main message was, regardless of how you feel and think, by not saying "Thank You," the person who you are grateful to may never feel like you were thankful, and that is never good for any form of relationships.
He read from the Bible and explained a short, rarely talked about passage from Luke 17:11-19.

'Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”

'When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.

'One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.

'Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”'

Justin, the one preaching, then diverged, which is not surprising.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our service was about Mary and Elizabeth. They made time to see one another when they were expecting, so we should spend time with our loved ones this Christmas.

Scripture reading was Luke 1:39-45, one of the many times the words "in those days" are used. In contrast to Mark, who jumps from event to event like "and then...and then...and then...", Luke slows down the narrative to give us some historical context.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next