Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Post Your Service! 
Site Administrator

Use this thread to post a brief description of the message of each church service you attend.

This Sunday the message was on how Jesus is the Bread of life and how God tells us to never fear.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our message was part 6 of a series called "Imperfect Church: The Story of the First Church and Every Church Since Then".

Today's sermon was on Acts 5 & focused on persecution. It's estimated that today there are 200 million Christians around the world being persecuted: harassment, imprisonment, torture, legal discrimination, even execution.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 pm
Profile WWW

Our message today spoke about the dangers of neglect on faith and the church.

Pastor Bell also had a really interesting quote I appreciated: "Don't try to understand miracles, just enjoy them."

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 pm

At the Traditional Latin Mass I attended, the epistolary reading was Paul talking about how, although we are many individuals with different gifts, we are united by the Holy Ghost in one purpose, one holy will; the Gospel reading was the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican.

And the sermon was excellent: this priest...it was like listening to Jesus Himself! He spoke the truth boldly from the pulpit, but he was gentle with the congregation as we spoke to him after Mass was over. Would that there were more priests like him!

The sermon was about Saint John Vianney, whose feast day was yesterday, and also about the sacrament of Reconciliation and its importance, and about the Affordable Care Act and the threat it poses to religious freedom in the United States--and about spreading the word and voting responsibly.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Site Administrator

Our service this Sunday was on keeping anger from preventing us from being little mimics of God and His love.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile WWW

Ours was on redemption, justification, how to behave as Christians and to strive against being hypocrites. Oh and warnings against sexual immorality. ^.^ It was great, one of the songs had me in tears even.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:02 pm
Site Administrator

Ours was called "God and Your Emotions". Many Christians think that God doesn't ever want us to feel or express negative emotions, but the truth is that God felt a wide range of them throughout the Bible; He created us to have them. The mature response to our emotions is this: experience them (but without leading you to sin), reflect on them, and respond under the lordship of Jesus.
Psalm 42:5 (NIV) wrote:
Why, my soul, are you downcast?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

Today's sermon was about what's sometimes called "Perseverance of the saints," as part of a series on the book of Hebrews. The pastor demonstrated from the Greek that the writer, in making his proposition, meant that someone who really was saved, if they could fall away, could not be saved again--which he also pointed out was a problem that arises if you believe you can fall away. But, said the pastor, if we could be lost again after we were saved, that would mean our salvation was not perfect; however, since Jesus did die but once for all, it is completely sufficient. This does fall quite in line with the theme of Hebrews as a whole--the supremacy of Christ and his finished work.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Profile YIM

The sermon this weekend was about how Christ is the Bread of Life. The priest mentioned Eucharistic miracles: for example, one time when someone who couldn't attend Mass requested receiving Communion where he was, a priest made the mistake of not putting the consecrated Host in a holy vessel, but sticking it between the pages of a prayer book (as though it were a bookmark.... *shudder*). When the priest opened the book, there was BLOOD in it--HUMAN Blood. This priest went to confession, and his faith was transformed by this.

He also mentioned that the Blessed Sacrament is powerful against demonic possession--my priest apparently has some experience with exorcisms, and when he brings the Blessed Sacrament, the possessed person cannot even LOOK at it. Demons recognize their Master even when they desire to disobey Him.

Catholic faith revolves around the Eucharist, as we believe it is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ, His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:45 pm

We have been going through the book of Ephesians. A sermon study called Life Together. Right now we are in chapter 6, specifically going through the Armor of God (we started a mini series on spiritual warfare). Last weeks sermon was on the Shield of Faith. Which is found here: http://www.calvarygr.com/sermons/player ... 0&type=mp3

Truly I am blessed to go be at a church where the Holy Spirit moves and speaks on a weekly basis.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 pm

A few of my notes from last sunday:
We're not in a constant battle against bad, but a constant fight to praise the Lord

This life is not all that there is. The new has come, a crown of life, a victorious glory!

-There will be a crown of Glory when the Head Shepherd appears

And this sunday's notes:
If nothing else,  remember "Come, let us, adore Him"

There's been a shift

"Who are you?"

Who are you in Christ?

A child of God
(John 1:12-13)

The demons even believe

Do you believe in God?

To all who believe and recieve him: You are a child of God

We can just come and adore Him. Why? Because he is our Father

(Ephesians 1:4-6)

God handpicked us, before the creation of the world, knew us before we were formed. Chosen whilst we were still sinners. 

We're adopted into his family, have all his family lock, stock and barrel. It is yours.

Even the worst sinner who has come to Christ, is of good stock.

(1 John 3:1) 

You are what you are.

Some feel unworthy, embarrased, can't comprehend.
A saint that sins, not a sinner trying to be a saint. 
The Father lavishes His love on us

(Galatians 4:4-8)

Jesus is our substitute, he pays for our sin. We are free as sons. 

(Galatians 3:26-27)

Sons is both male and female, when we are all together, we will all be one body.

(Romans 8:14-17)

"Who's leading you?"

Spirit of God is a spirit of release

Who are you this morning? Have you believed? Do you want to believe? If you want to know, ask. And when God shows you, be open to recieve him. Declare "I am a child of God"

You live in freedom. You have the power, right, authority to be a child of God. You only need to declare it.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

This was my first week back at my "home church" after a 3-month absence. The sermon was part 4 of a series entitled "Life: Fight. Finish. Keep."

How do you want to be remembered?

Acts 20:24

There are 2 types of people in a race: those who finish and those who fade.

Galatians thoroughly covers this topic.

Hebrews 12 gives us 2 reasons why we fade: sin and hindrance. Sin is much more obvious, so what hinders us?
*Faulty view of our golden years. Retirement from earthly work means a retirement from God's work.
~"Retirement rebels"
~Joshua 14--Caleb
~Psalm 92:13b-15a

*Commitment without follow-through
~Matthew 21:28-31

*Taking our eyes off the prize
~2 Timothy 4:7-8

*Thinking we're disqualified once we've fallen
~John Stephen Akhwari fell badly in the 1968 Olympic marathon, wounding & dislocating his knee. He continued running, finishing last among the 57 of 75 who finished. When interviewed later & asked why he continued running, he said, "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."

*What motivates you?

*The word used for "fix" here means "to permanently fasten".

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Today's sermon was on Paul's letters, giving the background for Romans and Ephesians, and going into how we need to check our lives to make sure we live wisely. And also to not only focus on the future but to focus on all times, showing love always. Not just holidays and stuff.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Today the pastor talked about being strong in God. How we need to don the armor of faith in times of difficulty, and rely on faith, God's word, and most of all prayer. We also compared times when Johua and Jesus both spoke to dishearted followers and how they basically said "If you want to leave, go ahead. But we will serve God." I like to think that emphasizes the idea that none can serve the Lord except by their own decision.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our service today was part 5 of the "Fight. Finish. Keep." series; it focused on "passing the baton" when running our race, just like Paul passed it on to Timothy in Ephesus and David passed on the building of the Temple to his son Solomon.

Are you preparing to receive the baton or pass it off? Solomon asked for wisdom when he received his from his father.

Passing it off well consists of 5 things from 1 Chronicles:
1. Clarity (28:5)
2. Charge (28:8)
3. Sharing (28:11-12, 14, 19)
4. Investment (29:1-3)
5. Dirty work (1 Kings & 2)

The pastor made a comparison to building a cathedral. One generation hands off the work to the next, none of them ever seeing the finished product. Each one does their part well; 100 years after the building is finished, the wood starts to rot and needs to be replaced. Looking back at previous plans, the architect included the note "planted forest" and gave directions on where it was.

I myself don't know which side of the baton I'm on.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

Mine was on the Resurrection- since yesterday's Matins Gospel was John 20: 1-20.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 am

Great Mass today! :D The Gospel reading was Jesus calling out the Pharisees on their hypocrisy in ritually washing their hands but not purifying their hearts.

And the priest's homily was great--he pointed out that it's okay to keep a sense of humor rather than be politically correct all the time, and that you don't have to be afraid you're bothering people if you honestly need help--it's okay to ask for it, of the Lord, of the Virgin Mary, of the saints, of priests, of other people on Earth, etc. He pointed out that being afraid of other people--afraid of offense, afraid of bothering them--is what takes us away from each other, which is just what the Devil wants.

That homily really spoke to me, especially this weekend. And mom and I brought the gifts to the altar!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:02 pm
Site Administrator

This Sunday's service was about how you can't jut be a hearer of the Word; you have to be a doer. And how a faith with no works is not much of a faith at all.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW

Today's Homily was on the "Whatever goes into a man cannot defile him, but what comes from within can" discourse.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 pm
Site Administrator

I really like that whole thing Paul did. I think a lot of modern Christians can learn from it!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next