Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Post Your Service! 

This isn't from a service, just something a friend said to me:

"Waiting to turn to God until you feel worthy is like waiting to go to the doctor until you feel well."

And this one was from a fortune cookie:

"Happiness is a direction, not a destination."

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:58 pm

The services as the Kingdom Halls are split into two parts: the first part is a sermon from a guest speaker, while the second part is a study from their Study Edition of the Watchtower. The sermons are usually the more interesting of the two, IMO.

Today's Kingdom Hall service was... somber. The sermon was on the subject of dealing with grief, troubles and depression, while the study was about doing what we can do in His service -- specifically, remembering that we have limitations, and there will be things we won't be able to do.

At the end of the service we found out why today's service was so melancholy: a 15-year old member of the congregation had died in the hospital on Monday night. Condolences were shared between those present and her parents. :(

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

In the past, it was quite the "in thing" for the rich to go on maiden voyages. So, when the "unsinkable" Titanic was going on its maiden voyage, many wealthy people boarded it with their arrays of jewelry and fine garments. It's been speculated that the jewelry alone was worth $50 million dollars at the time. Do you know how much these necklaces, bracelets, earrings and other adornments are worth today?

$0.

They're at the bottom of the ocean, never to be seen again.

Matthew 6:19-21.

And that was today's service! :P

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Well that's a cool connection!

Our service today was about God calling us individually, and how it can be difficult to answer that call when God directs it not in a vague direction but at you.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 am
Profile WWW

Our service was about the story of the judaeans ghrown into the oven by Nebuchadnezzar and how they said 'whether our God saves us or not, we will not bow to your statue.' Leading to that we should not fear death, but that we still have people around us to think about.

What did they play on the radio when we were eating afterwards? 'Always look on the bright side of life.' God has a sense of humor :)

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:33 am
Site Administrator

Our sermon was really good! The pastor gave the illustration of a young man back at his old church who guest preached, and he had purple hair, piercings, a collar (*giggles*), etc., and how people's assumption was a very irreverent person, but then his preaching was so full of faith and knowledge. He compared the expectations of Mary Magdalene when she saw the tomb, and how Jesus came to prove them wrong. This came with an admonition to be wary of leaning too heavily on cause-and-effect assumptions.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We had a sermon on loving the glory of God, and that includes loving and taking care of His creation. Per Psalm 8, we are only a little below God, and are charged with taking care of the planet as well!

Sun May 07, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We had a good sermon from a guest pastor! She preached on then pentecost and how it showed the church in its purest, people of different countries and languages coming together to worship. She used this to emphasize the importance of diversity and inclusion!

Boo nobody else is sharing. :(

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:27 am
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
Boo nobody else is sharing. :(

Sorry, first service with the new sound mixer. I was so tense that the musicians could have used my nerves to play the violin, so I wasn't paying that much attention. (Even during the sermon, I was setting and tweaking all kinds of stuff.)

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:01 pm
Site Administrator

Our pastor preached about how quickly the world changes, touching briefly on Moore's Law. He recommended listening to the Holy Spirit and the changes It wants us to make in ourselves and the world, such that this focus makes a good dynamic foundation with which to handle all the other change we face!

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:42 am
Profile WWW

We had a guest preacher today, speaking on the subject of good and righteous people.

Tradition tells us that we are all sinners, i.e. that none of us is worthy to be with God. As an example see Romans, where Paul repeatedly states this. However, Jesus himself clearly indicates in Matthew 12:35-37 that both good and bad people must exist, there are even a number of people that are explicitly referred to as 'good' in the Gospels. In the end he reconciled these views with Ecclesiastes 7:20, for which he had a very interesting translation (paraphrased from NBG1951 because I couldn't find an English version that is translated the same): "Because nobody on earth is so just that he does (his) good (works) without sinning."

In the process he also touched on what justifies us (our faith) and a few dangers of faith: faith as in mere factual belief (a belief that *only* consists of convincing others that X is the only truth because X is mentioned in the Bible) and merely having a theoretical faith, not a practical one. As he said: "Make sure that, behind your back, others say good things about you."

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about having values that are universal enough to be sustainable to a rapidly changing world. If your values only apply to our current world, when it changes, how do you act like a Christian?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am
Profile WWW

Using proverbs and Jacob's letter, this weeks' message was about how powerful the tongue actually is.
And believe it or not, the preacher was done by a woman (no, I have nothing to say about it).

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:26 am
Site Administrator

Our service was on the paradox Paul describes in Romans about how his mind decided to not sin but his body doesn't cooperate. I really liked the quote "God asks for the effort, but the results come from above."

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I stayed up too late to go to church so I'm watching the Christian fellowship video from AC. :3

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our sermon is on how children play and how good practices there (such as having ground rules, opening up, and including everyone) also apply to worship and fellowship.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Today was my last day in my family's church! The sermon was based on Galatians 3:23-29, one of my favorite Bible verses, plus Dr. Seuss's The Sneetches. It was about how we should look for the things about ourselves we subconsciously cite as why we're better than others (our "gold stars," to reference the book) and learn to see each other as the same in God's eyes. The pastor also explicitly called out racism, which I think is great. Beating around the bush is never good.
Galatians 3:23-29 wrote:
But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.
The pastor also called me up for a blessing and prayer before the congregation which was really sweet!

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

At the church I was visiting, the sermon was on Romans 8:31-39 , and how absolutely nothing can separate us from Christ's love.
Romans 8:31-39 wrote:
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I tried a Methodist church today and I really liked it! The main message was on the value of silence, and how God can come to us when we let ourselves tune out the storm. The pastor told the story of Jesus walking on water and calling Peter to him. One interesting thought it gave me about that story is how even after walking on water, Peter doubted and faltered, but Jesus rescued him. That's kind of like us, how Jesus gives us the freedom, even once we're "on his side," to stumble and suffer consequences, but in the end, He'll be there for us!

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

This is my fifth post in a row. C'mon, guys, let's all share what we talk about in church!

Our sermon was about how rest. God demonstrated rest to us on the 7th day, not because He needed it but because He wanted to show its importance to us. Before feeding the crowd of 5000+, Jesus told His disciples that they needed rest and guided them to a green field (note the parallel to Psalm 23 here). He made the comparison to shepherds, who are required to give sheep the security and freedom from anxiety they need, which they never have on their own. We, too, need a shepherd, and that's what God does. He gives us rest.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next