Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Post Your Service! 

Ran across a quote on DA this afternoon that bears repeating:

Quote:
When Satan reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about fear and how Jesus calls us to not fear. The pastor said we should learn to live in a world where not everyone is like us, and don't be affected by fearmongering. Such as what's going on in our current election cycle in the US. (Or what happened in Zootopia. :P) After all, that's how we let our witness be heard!

Sun May 08, 2016 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

This week church was about when Jesus sent His disciples out into towns to preview His visit, and the advice He gave got witnessing. The pastor also emphasized prejudice of racism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, etc. as literally satanic. This impulse to hate or distrust our brothers and sisters is not from God, but from a corrupting influence seeking to undermine God.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:37 am
Profile WWW

Today's service was about a verse in Isa, which Jesus references in Mat 9:13 and Mat 12:7: "I will have mercy, and not sacrifice". We will not gain Gods approval by hurting ourselves and making stricter and stricter rules to keep to show how perfect and self-denying we can be. He asks us to help others. That's it.

(Unfortunately, I cannot find back the verse in Isa, which contained nearly the same phrase in our translation. If I manage to drop by the church this week, I'll look it up in the projection system.)

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:11 pm
Site Administrator

We had a really good service about Jesus healing on the Sabbath and why some rules are right to break sometimes. The pastor used Rosa Parks as another illustration!

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

Our preacher talked about spiritual battle.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:25 am

The sermon at Eucharist today (by our systematic theology tutor) was on Luke - if you had faith the size of a mustard seed. How we have seen the fullest measure of our salvation in Christ crucified and risen. How God takes what little faith we have and makes it work, who he enables our salvation.

(B.F. Westcott)

Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:31 am
Profile WWW

Just listened to a beautiful talk by M. Russell Nelson about finding joy in our afflictions. If our focus is on Christ, the hardest times can be swallowed by the joy of Christ. This joy can help us to get through the hardest times.

It's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' semiannual General Conference Weekend. If you want to feel the Spirit, I highly recommend you check it out - there's a session live now and one at 2 (MST), as well as video from yesterday's sessions. https://www.lds.org/?lang=eng

Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:28 am
Site Administrator

Our sermon was about finding praise and blessings in everything!

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We had a sermon about how once a church is established, it should make sure to share its blessings outward and not establish "walls."

Part of the sermon involved the feeding of the 15,000 and claimed that some think that all Jesus did was inspire the crowd to share their food with one another... personally I think that's hogwash! But I recognize different people interpret the Bible differently. It's

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Our service was about how many of Jesus' miracles, such as expelling demons and calming storms, were about fighting against chaos and bringing about a state of shalom, which is the same thing Israel expected its kings to bring about. The pastor emphasized that while we may lack Jesus' powers, we can still work to reduce chaos little by little.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Our study took a sharp turn for the dark this morning (feel free to mod this one if you think it needs it).

We were discussing how angels intervene in people's lives, and the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego came up.

Shortly after mentioning it, I abruptly noticed that truly evil people have an unusual tendency to throw people into furnaces. Even serial murderers don't do stuff like that. It takes a special, demonic kind of evil to even consider that sort of thing.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

In our church someone was talking about God's patience. No matter how far away from God you are, They always wait for us to come back. God punishes people, but only after a very long time. Eventually, God took action because They had no more patience for us. But instead of wiping away everyone, God sent Jesus to die for our sins.

No word was said about our patience, but God did ask me to have patience recently. This sermon did make me think, and at the right time.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

The topic for last Sunday's Bible study was 'The ways demons mislead people". This wasn't refering to the ways we're tempted or otherwise encouraged to fall. Instead, it's about the various sorts of activities that demons use to directly influence people. Things like tarot cards, astrology, and other forms of divination and spiritism.

One of the things that was brought up was how some Christians are willing to take things like astrology seriously. I know a little bit about it; such as what my sign is and that I'm a hilariously stereotypical example of someone born under that sign, but I give it about as much importance as which House the Sorting Hat would place me in (probably Hufflepuff). In other words, I find it amusing and that's about it. I think the last time I read my own horoscope was while we were waiting at a Hunan takeout a few years ago.

However, one of the other people at the study mentioned that one of their coworkers does believe in and follow their horoscope. Recently, their horoscope said that they needed to be "less generous" and "spend less time thinking of others". I don't like labeling things "demonic" outside of a work of fiction, but this message is directly contrary to what the Bible teaches, and really is demonic.

Another thing that came up was something that clicked for me. My family had something of a falling out with the church we originally attended. This wasn't one of the reasons, but thinking it over, it makes me wonder what other warning signs were present. That church held Halloween parties. Now, I have no issue with this myself, as I don't see a problem with some themed fun now and then. But, one of the stalls at their Halloween party was a palm reader.

Just let that sink in for a moment: a church run party featured a palm reading booth.

Talk about giving the Devil a foot in the door...

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

(^Bot^)
I had a sermon about the dark side of christmas and how Jesus was the hope in there.

At the cross is love beyond hate, faith beyond doubt, and hope beyond despair.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:49 pm

Today's service was about spiritual gifts. It asked not just what are spiritual gifts but do we know what our own gifts are? It asked not just how can we use our gifts but are we putting ourself in the right place to use our gifts? Not just physically but mentally and spiritually too. Was an interesting thing to think about. ^^

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the awesome Uncle Noob!

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:38 am
Profile WWW

Today's service was me making sandwiches for people...

I work Sundays ;-;

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am
Site Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that. :( Is there a way to discuss your schedule with your boss?

My service was fairly lame. More junk on addressing declining membership at our church. How about sermons that aren't 80% logistics and 20% preaching. I hate pastor search time.. >.<

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

I'm sorry to hear that. Is there a way to discuss it with your pastor/priest?

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:06 am
Profile WWW

Today's sermon was really good. It was about the role of the church but framed, not as how the church should fit in the community, but as how we should approach church and what role church should have in our lives as Christians.

He talked about how church is not just a fellowship but a training ground to equip us for carrying out the Great Commission, i.e Matthew 28:18-20.

He made a great point about how us Christians in church need a touch from God but the people outside of the church need a miracle from God.

He also talked about the biblical precedent set by Jesus: going to the temple to pray and be equipped, and then going outside the church to perform miracles.

He also spoke on how we need to know God's voice so it's important for us to set aside time to commune with God outside of church time.

He mentioned that the cost of not listening to God and using our gifts to make disciples is not just people's lives but also their eternities.

The key point he wanted us to take away was that church equips us with both authority and inheritance. As Christians, with everything we do we have the full authority of God and the full inheritance and the full support of God behind us. We are not just pawns in God's plan. We're all key pieces and we all have the authority to speak promises over our own lives and to walk in those promises.

Church is all well and good but we need to move in the power of God outside the church just as Jesus did.

He left us with the question: "What can you change and impact outside these gates?"

It was a very challenging and uplifting sermon. ^^

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next