Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Art Theory 

What do you guys look for in good art? Visual and written? I like to look for in anthropomorphic artworks for example: a good balance of realism and cartoony-ness to where its still fun but it can be serious at times too. For "normal" art I like to see balances of filled space and empty space. It makes for a good pop and wonder of what's beyond I guess you could say. Here's a couple of ideas:
Landscape,
Portraits,
Abstract,
Etc,.
What would you look for in art of these catagories? Or maybe you have your own! :D

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 am
Site Administrator

I like departures from realism to be stylized. Otherwise it's just bad realism. This goes for furry art and just about anything else.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:14 am
Profile WWW

What do you mean?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 am
Site Administrator

Like if it's not too realistic, it should have a specific style. Not just an incomplete imitation of reality.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 am
Profile WWW

Oh I completely agree with you ^^ What's your opinion of Claude Monet's style of painting?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:25 am
Site Administrator

His specifically or impressionism as a whole?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:28 am
Profile WWW

His specifically, some other impressionisms can look really bad if not done right in my opinion.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 am
Site Administrator

Honestly I can't tell the difference too much between different painters of the same style. At least not from memory.

I like his. He uses color very effectively and our mind fills in a lot of blanks.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 am
Profile WWW

Especially of the one with the lady in the white wedding style dress and her suitor, that's my favorite. ^^

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:45 am

I have a general rule, when it comes to what I expect from art: it should be recognizable. Minimalist art is okay, because it mostly uses geometric shapes (though one can't help being a little cynical about how much you can really express with so little subject material) but minimalist music is simply bizarre with its droning repetitions. At any rate if I look at it and I cannot tell, even with a bit of imagination, what it is supposed to be, then to me it is not really sharing anything. There must be a common ground in order to connect with the artist, which I believe is what art really is for--to share an unique idea or feeling. I have even noted that art could be considered a window to the soul. What scares me is what must be going on inside some artists if that concept holds true at all times!

As a rule, furry art lies entirely inside the realm of Romantic realism or stylization. Perhaps this is because most of us are not formally trained and thus not interested in "art for art's sake." I can only speculate. What I like to see in furry art is more or less the same as what Faust said, though I might add more specifically I like to see a dramatic use of light and dark values to give the subject dimension. Whether the subject is simple or complex in nature, I expect the figure which is the focus of the piece to stand out visually from the background. Works with a great deal of detail fascinate me--though I can't help feeling a bit sad that my mind, in composing or visualizing a subject, is so devoid of details.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm
Profile YIM

ashenfox wrote:
minimalist music is simply bizarre with its droning repetitions.

AHEM.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:28 pm
Site Administrator

I'm partial to cute & toony stuff myself, but more realistic stuff is cool, too. It's been a long time since I've seen something that made me just say "Wow...."

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:50 pm
Profile WWW

I can see that Ash ^^ and yeah, some realist artists are truly amazing ^^

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Heh, thanks for reminding me of Glass, Fackel. He did seem to put a lot of imagination into his works, repetitive though they still are. I guess you could say something like this "Vessels" is similar to video game music, come to think of it. I recall being fascinated by his contributions to Sesame Street--the rainbow-colored circles with animated lines and sparkling points...doe doe doe doe say say say say

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 pm
Profile YIM
Site Administrator

ashenfox wrote:
I recall being fascinated by his contributions to Sesame Street--the rainbow-colored circles with animated lines and sparkling points...doe doe doe doe say say say say

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-R1aIM-C0

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:55 pm
Profile WWW

Wait wait wait. Philip Glass? Now I know why that sounded familiar. There's a level in the game Chime that uses one of his songs!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]