Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Adservatae Animae OOC & Character thread 
Lady Sloth

So, I was talking with Tom and we both wanted to make a more serious, plot-oriented RP. I had a few ideas so I wanted to get started!

The idea behind this RP is that the world is under attack by evil forces--demons, villains, and all manner of loathsome creatures--and the guardian spirits of the world are awakening to fight them. Not all guardian spirits are equal in power or ability; they are not gods. But their job is to protect the innocent, and prevent evil from taking over the world. My character is a physical fighter, not having much in the way of magic, but being very strong, very fast, etc. Another guardian spirit might have magical ability. Another's strength might be clairvoyance, or very high intelligence. It's up to you!

You can either play a guardian spirit, in which case you must be feral and have an odd coloration or other unusual aspect to your physical appearance--or an ally to the guardian spirits, in which case you can be pretty much whatever you want. I guess you could also play an innocent bystander with no special powers (think like Xander in the Buffy 'verse), or, if you wanted, some manner of nefarious beast.

(This is inspired partly by the game Okami. Not gonna lie.)

I want this to be more like a collaborative story than an IM-style RP, so here are some ground rules.

- Before you begin, you must post a short character bio and description that the others can use to understand and at times write for your character. It is okay to write what someone else's character does or says from time to time, but you must follow the character bio, and you must give the owner of that character the power to veto your decisions--that is, if asked, you must change your post according to what that character would actually have done/said. If you don't do this or don't have time to do this, I will do it for you (so if you have a problem with what someone has written, PM both that person and me).

- Please post at least one paragraph at a time. Posting mere sentences each time does little to advance plots and character development.

- If you do not post in a while, your character may be written out of the story! If this happens and you want to come back, that's fine--you'll have to find a way in-story to return. This is to keep the RP from falling to pieces if a particular person doesn't write a part in time.

- Even though you may be playing a magical creature or mystical warrior, please remember not to god-mod! It is hard to deal with invincible types of characters in RPs.

Ready to begin? Here is my character bio:

CURATRIX PACIS -- HEROIS OS LEONIS ([female] protector of peace -- lion-faced heroine)

Species/physical description: Blue, green, and white celtic lioness. She is 3.5 feet tall to the shoulder, and weighs something like 200 pounds. She's built more like a greyhound than a lioness, with a high top speed and also a dogged endurance. She can speak both animal tongues and the tongues of man/anthros.

Background: Pacis (pronounced "pah-chee-ss") has been sleeping in a craggy mountain for possibly thousands of years. Her memories of her past life are either lost, forgotten, or simply unimportant to her. Once upon a time she was a human girl, but that time is long since past, and she no longer retains the ability to shift into that form. Now she is only adservata anima--her life, her consciousness, tied to the landscape she seeks to protect. She once begged her companions to never seal her away in a cave or underground or in any other unreachable place, as many guardian spirits before her had been kept, ostensibly to keep them from harm while slumbering. So when it came time for her to "die," she was encased in a thin layer of stone at the top of a mountain, constantly watching over her land and her people, ever ready to awaken in their times of need.

Personality: Pacis is a serious and determined person, always willing to lay her body and life on the line to help others. She realizes that it is her purpose in life to protect others, and whether or not she can say she chose it for herself or that it chose her, either way it's all she's going to do. She is a team player, neither taking the lead nor taking orders, but working with others to achieve common goals. Because there are those in this world who cannot see the fantastic, who cannot perceive her as anything other than a mountain lion/large dog and cannot perceive the demons and threats living all around them, she feels the need to keep up the Masquerade, for their sakes--keeping not only harm from them, but knowledge also, so that they may live their lives free from fear and worry over things they cannot hope to face themselves. She sometimes appears aloof and hesitant to make friends or to interact with others. This is perhaps due to a great loss of friendship she has suffered due to her encapsulation.

Notable Skills: Pacis has great speed, strength, agility, and endurance. She can leap tall buildings in a single bound! She also has a slightly accelerated healing factor, but not by much--if she takes much damage in battle, she will be in need of magical healing. She does not have any magical ability herself, but can absorb abilities temporarily when those who DO have magical abilities cast spells on her.

Notable Equipment: Pacis wears no clothing, and owns no physical objects or items.

I will write my first post in a separate thread! Then, feel free to follow me.

(oh, p.s., if you do play as a guardian spirit, your official name will be either "Curatrix/Curator _______", or "[female]/[male] protector of _____" in Latin -- just give me the English and I can translate it for you--or if you know a little Latin, make sure the second word is in the genitive case. I claimed "peace" already :3)

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 am
Profile WWW

Editus Candor, Curator Lucis

Physical Appearance: Candor is a spirit raven; an albino corvus corax born with brilliant white feathers and beak. He is otherwise average for his species. However, whenever he manifests his power, he takes on a reflective sheen, as if his feathers were made of glass.

Age: Around fifty, but he’s really bad with dates, so he’s not sure.

Background: Candor’s kind is not traditionally considered a guardian spirit, as they are not truly spirits. They appear as ravens, and exist in both the physical and spiritual realms. This is a product of their role as guides for the recently dead, ushering them into the afterlife and helping them complete any tasks that may bind them to the material world. It is unclear as to where they come from; some say they were murderers in life, and in atonement must aid the dead as they were so keen to create the dead in life. Others say they were not properly buried, and so they could not pass rightly into death, and so instead sit in the realm between. Most of them prefer to believe they were called to this service, though none can remember their former lives.
Candor is different from his companions, and not just in appearance. He was born with capacities beyond and different than his peers, more akin to the guardian spirits that protect the world. It is unclear whether this was as fluke of his creation or for some greater purpose, but he has strived to use his gifts to a productive end. He spends his time finding the souls of the recently dead, and aiding them in their transition. Things have changed recently, as the number of unexplained deaths is rising, and he often arrives to find no soul to aid.

Personality: Despite the considerable amount of time he spends around death and suffering, Candor is remarkably cheery. He openly admits this is a conscious effort, as if he wasn’t he may fall into morbidity and depression. Despite the sanguine disposition, he is keenly aware of his situation, and so his affect will change depending on what happens around him, however he typically remains optimistic. He cares a great deal about his work and will go to great lengths to see it done, and will take it as a personal offense should he fail in his duty. He is remarkably fond of people, and will go to great lengths to aid them.

Notable Skills: As a guide for the dead, he has a number of skills relating to this role. He does not know languages, as much as he simply is able to communicate with anything; he speaks and his recipients understand, and vice versa. He can detect the presence of death and intuitively knows when someone is about to die, and where. He can, with sufficient time, transition a fulfilled spirit into the afterlife. He also possesses the supernatural capacity to control light; he can generate it and manipulate it to various affects. Should he be forced to defend himself or others, this serves primarily the purpose of distraction, misdirection, and illusion. The light is more than just physical, however, and possesses some curious secondary properties. When directed on a creature of evil, it burns with an intense heat, and so in that capacity it can serve as a directed weapon. When directed towards a creature of good, the light instead soothes and rejuvenates them, aiding in healing and restoring stamina. Candor is convinced there is more to this ability than he can currently manifest, but since he does not understand where it comes from or how he came to possess it, he is unsure how to proceed.

Notable Equipment: His left leg is banded with a small, golden ring, bearing a single flat diamond. He doesn’t remember how or where he got it, but he cherishes it as a prized possession.

-G.K. Chesterton

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm
Lady Sloth

I think it should be "Curator Lucis" (or, if you wanted to use de, it would have to be "de Luce" because "de" takes the ablative) -- also, how exciting! Feel free to write your part in the main thread now :3

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

I'd like to play some manner of nefarious beast though I've taken a look at the thread and I'm intimidated by the sheer volume of many words that I could never muster on my own. I've got a basic layout of the character such as abilities, form, and such but not a name or anything.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:53 am
Lady Sloth

You're welcome to join! I ask for at least 3 - 5 sentences per post minimum, but you don't have to write pages and pages like we do XD

If you do want to play and evil character, we'll discuss here how to do that successfully. It is likely our characters won't be paling around together, but would rather have encounters periodically, so you would have a lot of freedom in what you wrote about I think.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

I think that'd work best because I'm not on a lot due to work/school and all that nonsense. I can certainly do five sentence minimum no problem.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 pm
Lady Sloth

What did you.have in mind then? :3

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

I was thinking of some sort of corrupting spirit. I read a bit of the RP and figured there's gotta be something spreading about the evil. -shrug- I didn't know if you had your own antagonist already thought up or not.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm

I totally called the Okami inspiration before reading it, cutos to the good theme. I'm totally up for this, and will probably post more often starting this weekend. I also hope there is opportunity for some light-hearted interaction, though no where near in the same format as the other RPs. That's not a big deal though, I'd like a more serious RP, and I can go to the other threads if I want more crazy silliness.

(I may edit this over the course of the next week, though I will not post until I am satisfied)
Velox Softpaw. Ally of Curator Tranquillitatis [potentially--we'll see how it pans out ~Gypsi (haha sorry for editing your post I had to fix your Latin for you)]

Physical Appearance: shapeshifting feline. Shifts between the form of a: A) very large Tabby Cat (30-40lb 'still small by normal standards especially compared to Gyp') with sharper than normal claws, lean but muscled, fur a bit scraggly, and B) a 4'5" tall, lean, human with very prevalent feline features: paw form feet; hands are human except for claw like nails; scraggly furred head and patches of fur down the back, stomach, midsection; face is of mostly human bone structure with a small nose and only a subtle muzzle like protrusion of the mouth/chin; eyes, ears, and teeth remain feline.

Background: Vel is one of a race of rare, large, sentient, shape-shifting cats (werecats for simplicity, but not with the same rules as werewolves. It is a race, not a contagious disease; one cannot be made into a werecat. Inspiration derived from werecats of the Eragon universe). Little mention of these cats exists in common lore, but the other werecats Vel has come into contact with seem to be under the impression that this race was meant to fight for the peace and serenity of the land, and the idea seemed to fit. Over the past two decades, Vel has wandered across different parts of the continent, seeking the places of importance in politics or violence, and also finds trouble when he looks for it. He usually remains inconspicuous in order to collect as much information about a situation as possible, and only associates with beings he takes a specific liking to.

Personality: Vel often appears indifferent about matters, and his morality in situations of lesser importance is sometimes questionable. That being said, he always works to bring about a more just and peaceful world, albeit slowly and in a less straight path than most would follow. He shows a strong fondness for the impoverished and vulnerable, especially children, and for other selfless workers for the greater good. He has a rather keen sense of humor, though his jokes can take a rather morbid air, and he can be rather playful with those previously mentioned who he is fond of.

Notable Skills: While lacking in areas of strength and force, Vel displays a a mastery of stealth and speed. He can move almost silently, and remain an unnoticed bystander in most situations, being subtle in the day and near invisible at night. In his near-human form, he has great skill with knives, lock picking, and pickpocketing, just like every other normal law abiding citizen. He heals at a normal rate, but has a high threshold for pain and discomfort. He also can communicate and influence other cats, as this is how he gains most of his information in new places.

Notable Equipment: Cat Form: None. Near-Human Form: Vel is equipped with a leather knife belt in which he also holds several tools. He also has a mystical leather shorts with +Perk: Prevent Awkward Situations Plz!. His human form equipment is generated during the shape shift and disappears afterward, with consistency of equipment (things aren't created exactly, just revealed, anything he has before shifting into a cat will exist in the same state after again shifting back to human).

(I'll stick with that for now. Up for edit and just because it's written here doesnt mean I'm set on it. Obviously weapons imply violence and I'm ok with non-violent RP or any level of violence others want. Also the shapeshifting may come into play very little, I'll probably just stick with feral form. I thought that a human form may be useful in some situations, but since this is mostly a feral RP, I guess we could shape the situations accordingly: not a lot of doors with handles, you know?)

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

What you're looking for is "Curator Tranquillitatis" (putting tranquility in the genitive).

...and I was trying to come up with a Latin translation for "softpaw"--best I came up with was "mollepes" ... I'll have to think about it some more :3 (but of course your character's name doesn't HAVE to be Latin unless it's a guardian spirit)

I'm okay with you writing an NPC companion, but it would probably be best if you posted a bio of that NPC companion also so we can all write the NPC's actions/words from time to time, yes?

The human form could come into use if we ever want to deal with the mundane world--people who can't see mystical things would perceive Pacis as a mountain lion or large dog (depending on whether they feared her or not) and Candor as a regular bird. If they perceived Softpaw as a regular person, it could be useful. Then again, I'm not sure how much we're going to try and interact with those people.

Of course, I'll let you have a think about all of it for a while.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

I think I misunderstood the role of the guardians. If I'm working with you two I might as well just be officially 'allies' of you two, right? I'd be fine with that.

I think the name is fine as sort of a hybrid between Latin and a tribal sounding name. I think it works with the character not officially being a guardian but working with them. I wouldn't mind changing it if others found it out of place. That goes with most of this RP, I want everyone else to enjoy it as well, especially you and Tom since it was your creation, so if you have a suggestion or concern, feel free to tell me and I'll get on it.

On a side note, according to a translator, furtim is one of the nouns for stealth in Latin. Fur - Tim. ... I thought that was fun. Coincidence?! I THINK YES!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Yeah, if you don't want to be a guardian yourself, you can be an ally to Curatrix Pacis--but it might be fun to write for curator (or curatrix) Tranquilitatis. What animal is particularly tranquil? A stag might be cool. Idk. It's up to you.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile WWW

Yea that's a thought. I'll think about it; I probably wouldn't have time to write a sheet up for another character at the moment but it would be a nice option especially if the group stays at 3.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:24 pm
Profile WWW

Malum Infiguratum: Devorans Animorum (Quod Animos Depascit) Shapeless Evil: Devourer of Souls

Physical Appearance: When seen, it is most commonly a monstrously large black wolf-like figure, with smoky fur (as if freshly emerged from fire) that appears mangy and hollow, cavernous eyes with a faint, distant orange glow that looks miles away. It chose this form because it gets the most desired reaction from its prey. Otherwise its manifested as a swift moving, dark mist/shadow (see Notable Skills).

Age: Unknown, it doesn't believe it was born or created.

Backround: The DA began as a physical manifestation of ill will, the nature of which is unknown. It eventually became sentient, and lurked in dark places, sought debauchery and malice, and then fed on them and became stronger. But the Guardians were in the way of its conquest. Their success in defeating evil nearly a thousand years ago left it wounded, dying, angry, and hungry. With fewer vile feelings to feed upon, it was forced to seek other sustenance. It came upon a dying elderly man who was filled with regret in his last moments, the regret tasted so sweet, so sweet. When the man finally died his soul emerged from its dilapidated shell. The DA, still hungry, pounced onto the soul, as needed it grew teeth and claws, then tore the soul apart and ate it. The DA was healed, and the evil knew what it needed to do to survive. So it hid until it felt safe. Then one day, the evil realized the Guardians were gone.

While the Guardians slept, the DA explored prisons, asylums, and plague-ridden villages looking for an easy meal, and grew stronger with each soul it consumed. Stronger still with the souls of the innocent. But there were other evils. so the DA spared the spirits of the most sinister of men and women, fed them the scraps of its meals and made them demons. Its demons; an army to fulfill its desires, an army to bring it feasts.

Personality: This DA is arrogant, deceitful, unforgiving,and paranoid. It feels that it is the most powerful being in the world and should be bowed to as king, but won't accept this title until it has dominion over all. It is known by many names and loves being called by each of them. If a subordinate won't cower or kneel before it, the DA will consider this an act of aggression and will take what it feels are appropriate measures. Failure is not an option for its soldiers. If a soldier fails in his/her directive, it would best for him/her to never return. The DA created the army for two reasons: to have a steady influx of souls to feast upon, and to protect itself from other powerful evil beings, since they cannot be trusted. Even tough it has an army, it still likes to hunt souls on its own. Sometimes taking the form of a medicine man to get close to the sick and dying, and await the inevitable.

Notable Skills: Heightened senses that were developed while it needed to hunt. The ability to fast-travel in the form of swift moving, dark mist/shadow. It cannot travel through solid objects, but can "squeeze" its way through cracks and narrow openings. It also cannot attack or be harmed by forged weapons in this form. Although its preferred image is that of a monstrously large black wolf-like figure, it can take any form that it wishes to, but the stench of rotten flesh is a giveaway. The smaller the form, the more solid it becomes, also the more vulnerable to attack. It is incredibly strong as it has absorbed the strength of many murderers, thugs, and lunatics. Souls heal its wounds quickly, with the more innocent the soul, the faster the healing. It cannot devour the soul of a human that it has killed, the death must be "natural". It also heals in a vampiric fashion insomuch to absorb feelings of fear, dispair, sadness, et al. of those nearby, but at a much slower rate.

Notable Equipment: Teeth and claws as needed.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am
Lady Sloth

ART TIME.

I drew the Herois Os Leonis and Editus Candor! I'm assuming this happens in the first part of the RP somewhere.

Click the link above to check it out on my deviantart account!

Hopefully I will create a lot more art inspired by this RP as it goes on :3

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 pm
Profile WWW

yup. this made my night.

-G.K. Chesterton

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:18 am
Lady Sloth

:D I'm glad you like it!

Here is a closeup and detail of Editus Candor from the link above:

Attachment:
EditusCandor.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:35 am
Profile WWW

and now I have that saved on my computer.

So, I'm going to be gone this weekend, so I will have to wait to post until sunday, unless I'm good and can do it during work today.

Also, psyched about our new characters, especially our villain. Good work guys!

-G.K. Chesterton

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 am
Lady Sloth

I am equally excited about everything! Expect more art as the RP continues.

I've also contacted a good friend of mine IRL to come check out the RP, and make an account and character if he so desires. Hopefully he will!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Lady Sloth

Just wanted to throw this out there: I reserve the right to use my mod powers to edit your posts in order to either: edit your Latin, or to fix typos, missing words, and other obvious grammar/mechanics issues. I won't change anything stylistic and I won't even change what you make my character say without first PMing you to ask you to change it (because I know asking you to change what you've made Pacis say might change the flow of the narrative in your post).

However, the Latin that online translators provide makes me go craaaaazy ~~

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next