Creating an OC

Since I am quite new to the fandom, I have found myself unsure how one would go about creating an OC. I would love to learn any tips or tricks anyone has about coming up with inspiration, names, art, etc.

What are some of your favorite animals? Settings? Fashion/art styles? These aren’t “rules” at all, just things to help get your creativity going. ^.=.^

1 Like

I would say a big one is don’t overthink it. It’s okay if your fursona is just “this is me, except my favorite animal.” You can always tweak it with time!

2 Likes

Back in my furry era I had a number of OCs that each meant something different and personal to me lol. However, my first OC was literally just my favorite animal with some aspects of it being themed as my favorite gemstone, amethyst. It’s really just whatever you want, and tbh, you can change, destroy, remake, and improve any and all of an OC. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try anything out!

1 Like

Hey guys! Thanks for the awesome advice. I’ve spent some time working on this, and I think I’m at the point where I’d like to start looking at getting some art done. I’ve done a little bit of poking around various places, but I’d like to see if any of you have some tips, any artists you’d recommend, things to look out for, etc.

I would be very polite with them, and be as specific as you need to be. If there are specific markings, accessories, etc., don’t be afraid to try to draw them. I also think it’s okay to point to other art of other characters and be like “This isn’t my character, but I kind of imagine the ears looking like this” or something.

1 Like