Favourite Bible Verses

Let’s share and sicuss our favourite Bible verses. ^^ For inspiration, comfort, or even just because they sound cool.

I’ll start with a couple of my favourites from Matthew’s Gospel. :3 (All verses will be in my own translation from the Vulgate – unless otherwise noted.)

“Come to Me, all ye who labour and are heavy-laden, and I shall refresh you. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am mild, and humble of heart; and ye shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden light.”
(Matthew 11:28-30)

At the moment, I can’t even express how encouraging this is. It is a touchstone to remind myself of God’s gentle care, and Jesus’ way is the way of freedom from human expectations.

~

And one among them, a doctor of the Law, to test Him, questioned Him: “Teacher, what is the great commandment in the Law?”

Jesus saith to him: “‘Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and with all thy mind.’ This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to it: ‘Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.’ Upon these two commandments dependeth the entire Law, and the prophets.”
(Matthew 22:35-40)

Even though they are in the Old Testament, I view these, the two great commandments, as foundational to Christianity. In a way it’s a single commandment with three parts – love yourself, love your neihgbour likewise, and through love of neighbour, learn to love God. Though it wraps around, because loving God totally leads to love of self and neighbour as created by God.

I do love that verse from Matthew 22 as well! It’s “cliche,” but cliches get that way for a reason. I appreciate how it summarizes the Gospel, because it emphasizes that God is not arbitrary, but rather everything He does, and everything He expects, is all for the same solitary goal of holiness. Not just “do this just because, don’t do that just because.”

One of the biggest reasons that I’m a gecko is because of a T-shirt I bought in the gift shop of a Christian camp. It had a cartoon gecko on it and Romans 12:9.

Run from what is evil and cling to what is good.