How to tell your parents

My mom will understand. But how do i tell my dad i am a furry?

Why is it necessary to tell them? Can you explain how you engage with furry?

I ask because some people get the idea that furry is this big thing, and for some people it is. But it doesn’t have to be. If you wouldn’t feel the need to tell your parents you are watching a new anime or now play chess, it may not be needed.

Well, i wanted to tell them because im sick of hiding my sketch book full of furry drawings

It might be good to just not make a big deal of it and simply be direct.

I told my family that I got a bunch of rolls of duct tape and a painter’s smock because I need it to make a DTD for my fursuit. And then I asked them to help. Pretty sure dad was more confused by it than anything.

Tell him that it’s mostly a self-expression and community fandom. I feel like this is the core point that everyone misses, and starting with that would go a long way to breaking down the tropes. The characters are the defining trait, but they’re not the point.

Explain that self-expression in the fandom is highly diverse, and that the mainstream fandom generally don’t engage in sexual activity.

Tell him what a fursona is. We don’t believe we’re animals at all, it’s just an avatar. A fursona is an original, highly personalised furry character that you identify as within the fandom, and they’re used entirely for our own self-expression and connection.

All in all, you need to pinpoint what we are as a fandom and the tropes surrounding us, and break them down from there.

Hope this helps xx