What is your favorite retro games?

My childhood games, all fully playable online thanks to archive.org!

omigosh I grew up on commander Keen! mostly I played Keen 4, 5, 6, and Keen Dreams, but we had some earlier ones as well. I never finished them myself, just watched my older brothers play them. They always got annoyed because I would get exited and bounce up and down on their chairs!

“Retro” is a really broad term! The original Mario games were really foundational for me, but I also really cut my teeth on Roller Coaster Tycoon and Starcraft back on the PC.

Probably my favorite “retro” game I played well after its time would be Final Fantasy VI. Such a beautiful game.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, I played it a lot when my brother got his copy of Subsistence (the enhanced edition of Metal Gear Solid 3).
NOT to be confused with Metal Gear Solid 2.

I basically grew up on old school Mario games back for the SNES, I guess those would be up there on my favorites XD.

Though if I really have to choose a favorite “retro” game? Super Metroid :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re not wrong. Theoretically, the PS3/X360/Wii U generation could count as retro these days.

As for my favorites, the ones I think back on the most these days are Legend of Legaia, Star Ocean: The Second Story, and the Klonoa series. I also remember playing Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG over and over again as a kid.

I am extremely hyped.
Dragon Quest 3 was a great JRPG.

『HD-2D版 ドラゴンクエストIII』ティザームービー

Wasn’t the Wii the equivalent to the PS3/Xbox 360?

And I’m excited to see such a retro RPG remade! I hope it bodes well for Final Fantasy VI finally getting a remake.

1 Like

You’re right. It is. The Wii U was the equivalent to the PS4/Xbox One, but the Switch was released between that generation and the PS5/Xbox Series X generation.

Basically at this point “generations” don’t exist. :stuck_out_tongue: